Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surge in infected insect bites - Blandford Fly

3 posters

Go down

Surge in infected insect bites - Blandford Fly Empty Surge in infected insect bites - Blandford Fly

Post  littlewid Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:43 am

This made me sit up when I read this, I thought of Anne-Marie and her bite to her ankle and how that swelled, was painful and left her ankle bruised.
I never connected the two but when I was rescuing the two fledglings in my garden and put the flower pot on top of the fence, that is right by my wooden rather large water feature. Well the next morning I woke up to a swollen arm that was very bruised, I had not knocked it in any way and there was a lump under the bruise and my arm throbbed for the whole day. I still have the bruise today and thought it always looked as if I had been bitten........did we get got by the Blandford Fly Anne-Marie affraid not sure where you live Anne-Marie but I am semi rural in the village.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7915695/Blandford-fly-surge-in-infected-insect-bites-blamed-on-new-superfly.html
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Surge in infected insect bites - Blandford Fly Empty Re: Surge in infected insect bites - Blandford Fly

Post  Laikipia Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:41 am

That's interesting and perhaps that's what got you both - ouch looks nasty.
Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Surge in infected insect bites - Blandford Fly Empty Re: Surge in infected insect bites - Blandford Fly

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:17 am

Shocked Shocked well it sounds like that could well be it. I was actually at a party in a garden over in Leighton Buzzard at the time so not rural at all, but as they said they're coming into cities. In reading the article it sounds exactly the same!! Thanks for that LW! At least we have a good idea of what got us now!! (my friend who's a nurse said it looked like I had cellulitis)
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:03 pm

It's made me not want to go down t my water feature now Anne-Marie What a Face it is made of old railway Sleepers and has these two huge green balls in the middle that the water spouts out of and when it gets sunny the balls need cleaning, well they are due for another clean, I try and clean them weekly as the birds also drink from it as its running water but I am very wary about going near it again, probably need to make sure I am covered up, like you, I dont want another one of their bites, they are nasty and painful and the bruise seems to last for ever.
The cellulitis is all th infection in the tissues, it goes all puffy affraid
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:09 pm

I think thats why she thought it was that because my ankle had swollen up so much, thankfully it did go down though but she was pushing me out the door to the doctors!! lol! lol! Was certainly a strange one!
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:50 pm

The trouble is, because they are so small they are going to be hard to see and therefore difficult to keep away from, I wonder if the normal insect repellent, you know the lemon stuff is good for keeping them at bay?

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum