Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When we protect wildlife we have to take decisions

4 posters

Go down

When we protect wildlife we have to take decisions Empty When we protect wildlife we have to take decisions

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:01 am

Extract from this is Devon:

EFFORTS to protect the dwindling numbers of peregrine falcons have been one of the great success stories of conservation in this country. Since the population crashed in the 1960s efforts to protect falcons have seen these magnificent creatures once again gracing the skies of Devon and they can even be found perching atop of the Tate Modern in London.

However, not everyone is happy to see the return of this formidable hunter. Pigeon fanciers across Britain have seen an increasing number of raptor strikes on their prize racing pigeons and some are calling on the Government for action to be taken; namely the removal of protected status for peregrine falcons.

As a farmer I know what it's like to lose an animal. That sickening feeling you get in your stomach when one of your stock that you have spent years vaccinating, feeding and nurturing is found cold and lifeless. There is a tremendous feeling of loss.

Several years ago, during the floods that hit Bridgwater, I lost almost my entire flock of sheep.

They were trapped in a field when the water levels began to rise. Many of them drowned and the rest were only saved by being winched out by a rescue helicopter.

You also reach a certain age when you start to feel that you have more in common with the pigeon rather than the sleek, predatory falcon.

All things considered I do not think we should be so hasty in calling for a reduction in numbers of a bird only just brought back from the brink of extinction.

Only last week a man was caught trying to smuggle falcon eggs out of the country to the Middle-East, where the birds are highly prized as pets and used for sport hunting by wealthy Arab emirs.

In our efforts to control our environment, acquire resources and to make our lives more manageable we have destroyed much verdant habitat for wildlife and driven some species to extinction.

When an animal becomes a competitor for a resource they are driven away. I suppose this is the price of progress but in some ways the world is a poorer place for it.

Protecting wildlife sometimes means not getting our way all of the time.
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

When we protect wildlife we have to take decisions Empty Re: When we protect wildlife we have to take decisions

Post  littlewid Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 pm

He makes some good points there SM and I too feel sorry for the Pigeon fanciers and their racing Pigeons, but i would hate to see the protected status taken away from the Peregrine Falcon. He is right though, sometimes dilemas do arise in wildlife don't they.
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

When we protect wildlife we have to take decisions Empty Re: When we protect wildlife we have to take decisions

Post  whitestarling Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:58 pm

The old saying is let nature take its course which used to be true because nature always has a way of balancing things out. The problem comes with humans trying trying to balance how their actions have affected nature, and we are not as good as nature at sorting these problems out
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:57 am

I agree WS

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:40 pm

DITTO on that one WS and Lai.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:52 am

Well said!

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum