Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big cat may be to blame for gruesome killing, say police

4 posters

Go down

Big cat may be to blame for gruesome killing, say police Empty Big cat may be to blame for gruesome killing, say police

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:13 pm

Extract from Teesdale Mercury

Big cat may be to blame for gruesome killing, say police

THE carcass of a sheep, which was found stripped to the bone, bears all the hallmarks of an attack by a big cat, say police wildlife experts.
But people should not to be alarmed – a confrontation with the beast is thought to be highly unlikely.
Last week, the Mercury reported how several people living near Ravensworth claimed a big cat was lurking in the countryside.
It is said the animal’s territory reaches as far as Ovington.
Police said they were called to investigate when a sheep carcass was found badly mauled at Buddle House Farm, near Kirby Hill.
PC John Wilbor, rural crime officer, has been looking into the matter and now believes a big cat could be in the area.
He said this week: “The sheep carcass was totally stripped – all that was left was its spine, ribs, head and legs.It was obvious something other than the more usual predators was to blame.
“The evidence seems to fit in with a possible big cat attack. It’s suspicious, but we’re keeping an open mind.”
PC Wilbor said he had taken DNA evidence from the dead sheep to establish which type of animal killed it.
The incident adds further weight to the belief that a lynx, puma or panther is on the prowl in North Yorkshire and County Durham.
Alleged sightings of the so-called ‘Durham Puma’ have been circulating the area for years.
PC Wilbor added: “There have been stories for a number of years and if you look at suggestions of other big cats across the UK, something could be out there.
“I don’t think we’ll every know for sure unless we can find a carcass of a big cat or someone runs one over.”
The wildlife officer said people should not be concerned.
He said: “These animals can travel a wide area, and by their nature, they are very secretive and can hide themselves away.
“If someone did come across a big cat, there’s nothing to say they would be a threat – the animal would probably run away.” However, he said farmers should keep an eye on their livestock just in case.
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Big cat may be to blame for gruesome killing, say police Empty Re: Big cat may be to blame for gruesome killing, say police

Post  whitestarling Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16 pm

I saw this on the TV SM. I cant think what programe it was on now, it showed the carcass it certainly was strange the way it had been eaten, and it was'nt the only report from that area
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Big cat may be to blame for gruesome killing, say police Empty Re: Big cat may be to blame for gruesome killing, say police

Post  Laikipia Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:44 am

They have said for ages there is a puma on the loose in the Yorkshire area - and why not? It probably escaped from a zoo or wildlife park, stranger things have been known.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:44 pm

I know they don't want to panic anyone but I love the way they say don't worry, I would be worried for my livestock and pets, plus little children. You couldn't help but worry could you. Then again, I don't like the idea of a Puma or other big cat being run over either.
I have heard news reports about a possible big cat in that area before as well and it probably is an escape, but the stories have been going on for a while so it has also done well to survive. Not nice for the sheep though.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum