Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bats to be ousted from Botanic Garden in Sydney

3 posters

Go down

Bats to be ousted from Botanic Garden in Sydney Empty Bats to be ousted from Botanic Garden in Sydney

Post  littlewid Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 am

This is quite sad, I understand about preserving the trees and that the trees are going to be the gardens managements first priority but the bats also need somewhere to live and it doesn't sound as if they can be hereded out by loud noises. I amkeeping my fingers crossed they don't go to other extremes to get rid of the bats to save the trees.
Wonder if TTM is up to speed with this one?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/8333176/Sydney-Botanic-Garden-bats-to-be-forced-out.html

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bats to be ousted from Botanic Garden in Sydney Empty Re: Bats to be ousted from Botanic Garden in Sydney

Post  Laikipia Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:29 am

There has to be a balance between the two. I've seen the bats at the Botanic gardens, there are thousands so the damage must be quite extensive.

Perhaps they can find alternative bat accommodation, as we have to in the UK.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Bats to be ousted from Botanic Garden in Sydney Empty Re: Bats to be ousted from Botanic Garden in Sydney

Post  Doogs Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:06 pm

That is a very difficult one to call as there are cases for both the trees and the bats. As Lai said hopefully some alternative place can be found for the bats as both need to be saved
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:28 pm

I am hoping they can find an alternative place for the bats too, I am just concerned that as they cannot be herded they do not resort to other measures to save the trees. They are obviously having a dilema to do the best for the trees and the bats, I just hope it all gets sorted safely for the bats.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:26 am

Bats are a problem for re-accommodating. They will do what they want to do. When we found we had two types both brown long eared and pipistrel both of which are protected we had to put up numerous boxes and make the barn bat friendly, which in itself was an interesting one.

Batman (my nickname for the person who monitored the bats) used to come out each month and check for bat activity as it was a maternal roost in the roof. Once it wasn't breeding time the roof could be repaired and the hole that the bats were using for entry could be blocked. Honestly it was a 12 month wait before any work could be done and not an experience i would want to go through again.

Meantime the bats ignored the barn conversion and the birds enjoy the bat boxes - as for the bats they are still around but prefer to find their own homes!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum