Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSPB ask you to make mud pies for birds!

3 posters

Go down

RSPB ask you to make mud pies for birds! Empty RSPB ask you to make mud pies for birds!

Post  Safari Maiden Wed May 18, 2011 11:13 am

Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

RSPB ask you to make mud pies for birds! Empty Re: RSPB ask you to make mud pies for birds!

Post  whitestarling Wed May 18, 2011 11:19 am

I posted this in Nesting Birds are feeling the Heat, so I'll re-post it here. One important thing not mentioned in that report is to make sure there is some water showing, its what attracts the Birds in the first place

There was a piece on BBC Breakfast time this morning, about the problems Swallows, and House Martins with the lack of mud to build nests. They suggested that you could use deep trays or lids, to put soils in then add water, but make sure there are small areas of water in the trays. The light glinting off the water attracts the Birds. Make sure they are placed well away from bush's in a safe place away from cats.
We are lucky here, as we have a pond, and also when they wash the Horses in the Stables opposite, the water runs off the concrete, and makes mud puddles around the edges. Thats why we have so many Swallows.
There was an interesting letter in the paper over the weekend. A Guy came up with what I think is a good conclusion as to why the numbers of House Martins is dropping. Its all the new building materials that are being used in House construction. All the PVC facias, and cladding around the eaves, and tops of houses means that mud wont stick to it. I think thats a valid reason
WS.
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

RSPB ask you to make mud pies for birds! Empty Re: RSPB ask you to make mud pies for birds!

Post  Laikipia Wed May 18, 2011 12:03 pm

We've plenty of rain at the moment and with it puddles so I think hopefully our house martins are okay, also a river nearby and a fish pond.

Interesting about the pvc WS - that makes a lot of sense. What a shame for these little birds - we'll miss them when they're not so abundant.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue May 24, 2011 7:45 am

I'm not sure if these Swallows are building Mud Huts or Sand Castles RSPB ask you to make mud pies for birds! 40683