Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiger poachers can be shot

+2
Doogs
whitestarling
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tiger poachers can be shot - Page 2 Empty Re: Tiger poachers can be shot

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:39 pm

It all seems a big mess Zabeen, with no one taking responsibilty to sort this out. I still feel this is the best scource of information that we have at the moment. Its ZSL which includes London Zoo, and Whipsnade Zoo. ZSL is involved with Tiger Conservation, and breeding, also raising Tiger Cubs in Zoo breeding programes. They also have a Veterinary Dept, so all the info required should be there.
The problem with him using a cell phone is that it is a costly way of communication, and email is free. He could also use Skype for a low cost telephone call if he has Skype. I suppose he could have a problem with costs, especialy as the Tiger Cubs have just been dumped on him, and I'll bet with no financial support. The authorities should really be making these calls for help, not just leaving it to him to sort out.
This is part of ZSL, web page
Tiger poachers can be shot - Page 2 Wa326

This is the Link to ZSL's Veterinary Dept web page
http://www.zsl.org/science/vets/
This is the Tel No All enquiries related to the work of our Institute of Zoology should call 020 7449 6610

This is the email link cp@zsl.org

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Tiger poachers can be shot - Page 2 Empty news from tomorw's newspaper (16th june)

Post  zabeen Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Tiger cubs get new home
Staff Correspondent

The three Bengal tiger cubs, which had been rescued Monday from a smuggler's house in the capital, were shifted to Dhaka Botanical Garden last night from their temporary shelter at a private mini zoo in Hatirpool.

They will be kept in a room at the botanical garden under the supervision of the Dhaka Zoo authorities.

'I am now examining the new facility and soon the cubs will be brought here,” said Shahidullah, curator of Dhaka Zoo, last evening.

A committee of experts had decided to move the cubs from the private zoo as they felt the facility was not congenial for tigers.

The three-month-old cubs were recovered in a terrible health from the house of wildlife smuggler Abdul Kader. Kader and his elder son Masud are now absconding.

Meanwhile, the shifting of the cubs from Hatirpool was delayed until 10:00pm as the owner of the mini zoo, Abdul Wadud who illegally possesses some wildlife, was unwilling to hand them over. He claimed that the condition of the cubs had improved ever since they were placed under his care.

He requested the authorities concerned to keep the cubs at his mini zoo until they become ready for the wild. “If necessary, the authorities can call foreign experts here at my zoo to take care of the cubs,” Wadud said fearing that the tigers might die if taken to the botanical garden.
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  zabeen Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:21 pm

i think there is some problem between Dr. Wadud and the Dhaka Zoo authority! tomorw i will check where exactly they have taken the cubs...if they are shifted to botanical garden, i will find out the person in charge and get his details!
but please advise me what exactly i have to tell them...even if i manage to get the email id then what should i say to them? i should tell them about Born Free Foundation or ZSL...or should just send them the details of these organizations to them?..please advise :)
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi Rabeen
ZSL has the experience, and knowledge of breeding, and looking after Tiger Cubs, they also have a Veterinary Dept that will know what tests, and dietary requirements the Cubs will need, but there is no harm in sending details of both Organisations.
In the meantime I will email ZSL, and ask if they would be willing to help with any advice. If you can find out any email details, perhaps we can put them in touch with each other. Does the Dhaka Zoo, have an email address that you know of

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zabeen Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:39 pm

thanks...tomorrow i will do my best to find the email id...i got the phone numbers already of botanical garden and dhaka zoo..will call them tomorrow and see if they have any email id!
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:45 pm

OK Zabeen catch you tomorrow
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  radhu Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:43 am

hope all is well with the cubs :)

hope the government will take expert help for their well being bcoz every tiger counts and is greatly valued

this is the news update i got ...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What to feed the cubs on and how to take care

The forest department does not have any officer who has the expertise to take care of the cubs.

Yunus Ali, chief conservator of forest, yesterday said they had communicated with Indian experts who suggested feeding the cubs on goat-milk.

Reza Khan, head of Dubai Zoo, and other eminent wildlife experts from Bangladesh told The Daily Star that such cubs should be fed with animal milk called Cimicat which contained less carbohydrate and more protein.

Soft chick or pigeon meat would be perfect for them. Cat’s food, preferably foreign-made or animal fillets could also be given to them, Reza Khan said over the phone.

Or if any pet dog or cat is found, the tiger cubs could be feed with their milk also, he said.

The Wildlife Trust of Bangladesh (WTB) recommended keeping the cubs under the wildlife rescue centre in India until they were old enough to be released into the Sundarbans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am sure there are n number tiger experts in india so if they are involved the cubs are gonna b safe
radhu
radhu

Back to top Go down

Post  radhu Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:27 am

not sure if this information helps,because the decision will be pending on Government on whom to entrust the cubs to ..still letz see if this helps

please check out the details of one rescue center in India
http://www.wti.org.in/pages/contact.php

or its international parter IFAW
http://www.ifaw.org/united-states/

Last edited by radhu on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
radhu
radhu

Back to top Go down

Post  zabeen Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:50 am

i got the contact number of the chief in-charge of dhaka zoo...before i call him, i want to know should i tell him about ZSL...is ZSL really willing to help in this case? please advise scratch
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  radhu Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:09 am

Zabeen y dont we call the helpline number that WS provided for contacting ZSL
radhu
radhu

Back to top Go down

Post  zabeen Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:18 pm

i did call the chief in charge of dhaka zoo...he told me that he got no idea who is handling the cubs at botanical garden and he doesnt even want to give any info about them! maybe he thought i was a reporter but i told him that i am not and if some organizations from India or UK wants to help, he doesn't want any help from anyone!! he sure is one crazy person! clown
but fortunately he is not in charge of the cubs :) ...they are with the forest department chief conservator..but to find about him i need my dad, my dad got many contacts in forest dept but right now he is out of dhaka, so i have to wait till he arrives...
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  zabeen Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:25 pm

oh the zoo chief also said all the reports in the newspapers are false!...no wonder dhaka zoo is in such a bad shape.. Mad
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Hello Zabeen

Please accept my apologies for coming in on this so late.

Firstly I think you are doing an outstanding job and for that we are all greatful. I also believe that as hard as it is for you doing this alone I do believe one voice speaking for everyone is the best way to go as things then do not get muddled, so if you are happy to continue taking the lead in this we would be grateful.

In respect of contacting people I am not sure if WS has heard back from ZSL but I know he will let you know as soon as he does; however, with the involvment you have had and the people you have already spoken with about the Tiger cubs, I believe it would be good if you could contact ZSL and give them as much information as possible, even the conflicting stories on whether the cubs have been moved or not is important to them as they can then build a picture of what is going on, organisations like ZSL will be very competant on reading between the lines of what is true and false, they will have dealt with issues like this before I am sure. It will then be up to them if they wish to get involved or feel if they can get invloved, if they can't, I am sure they may be able to offer some useful advice.

I also believe you should contact the Born Free Foundation as Lai suggested. They are well versed in big cat rescues and have been involved in many contravertial rescues across the world and are very well respected.

As many organisations as you can get involved the better chance the cubs have of either being rescued by them or placed in a more suitable environment and both of these organisations have very good reputations but I know Born Free are the ones who go out and rescue.

As I have said, give them as much information as possible and keep it as factual as possible, thats all you can do, the rest is up to them and if they can help I am sure they will and if they can't I am also sure they will help to steer you in the right direction.

We are all here to support you and help where we can but as I have said, rather than them being bombarded by lots of people it's best to keep to one voice but by all means let it be known that we are also behind the cubs getting the right treatment and place for them, you are the voice for all of us.

Thank you for all you are doing Zabeen.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:23 am

Not heard anything back from ZSL yet Zabeen, but as its weekend there may be no one in admin there
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:09 am

radhu wrote:just a correction the logo on the cover page says indian authorities whereas it is not in India its Dhaka in Bangladesh :)

just a trivial info but still i wanted to update :)

Thanks Radhu. I've corrected that, my fault I so identify Tigers with India
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:35 am

I have sent another email to ZLS at a different Dept, fingers X we will get a reply tomorrow. This is a copy of the email sent
Hi
I'm an Admin on a wildlife Forum called WildAboutAnimals. A member from Bagladesh has contacted us with the story of 3 Tiger Cubs rescued from a Wildlife Smuggler in Bangladesh as reported in the Bangladesh Daily Star
http://india.nydailynews.com/newsarticle/4fd8a4b9b1e35d5318000000/worries-for-bangladesh-s-rescued-tiger-cubs
There is a lot of concern because the Authorities, and the Forest Department's veterinary surgeon Zahed Malekur Rahman, have no experience or knowledge of looking after Tiger Cubs. The vet is currently feeding them on powdered milk meant for human babies in a bottle four times a day, as well as finely chopped chicken meat. Saying he is not sure if this is a proper diet. I am acting on my previous practical knowledge of feeding four lion cubs at a safari park, The Cubs should be moving to a new place in the care of .Dhaka Zoo, still under the care of the vet.
Would you be willing to help with dietry, and other advice if the Vet, or Dhaka Zoo, contacted you, or pass any suggestions on to our Forum, that we can pass to our member in Bagladesh

Regards WildAboutAnimals Forum

I have tried to find contact details for both Dakar Zoo, and the Forestry Commision Vet, but I've had no luck
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 pm

I've still not had any reply from ZLS, unless you can find out any email info on Dhaka, the Foresty Commision, or the Foresty's Commision Vet, Zabeen, then I do'nt think there's much else we can do. But at least we treid, and showed we cared.
If you do find out any info, then I am more than willing to send the emails giving the information on what we have found that may help them
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 am

RE: Tiger Cubs
Inbox
x
I've recieved this email from Zabeen

Zabeen

to me
hello, sorry i dont have any new updates as my dad is still not back yet...though my dad gave me this info..he said tomorrow he will talk to this person and see if they really need any help regarding the cubs!

Mr. Yunus Ali (Chief Conservator of Forests)
there is also an email address for the above, but I'll leave it out as she is not sure if he uses it, and for security Mr Yunis

I think it's best for the moment to wait and see what we hear from Zabeens Dad, if they still require help.
Thanks for the info Zabeen
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zabeen Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:02 pm

hello :) my dad is not back yet...but within few days he will come back and he told me he will talk to person asap Very Happy
btw u know the cubs got names now Hira, Chuni and Panna...Hira is diamond, Panna is emerald but i dont know what Chuni is Rolling Eyes
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Just had a look on Google, and one explanation is the Chuni is a garment that Sikh women wear, and could mean honour, but that would'nt fit in with the other two names. I wonder if it's a stone of some kind that would fit in. Lovely names though. Sorry if this sounds a bit ignorant, but what language is spoken in Bangladesh ?. I've just tried Benagali, and it does'nt come up with any meaning
Thanks Zabeen. for letting us know the names
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:36 pm

cheers cheers Found it. It means Ruby

Astrological Stones Back to Astrology main
Ruby(Chuni)
Ruby Gemstone is the stone of Pinkish Red color, it generally occurs in crystal of six sided prism. Ruby is the Gemstone , used to enhance the powers of the Sun. An individual whose Sun is well placed in the birth Chart can never be unsuccessful. On wearing a Ruby one becomes proof against the effect of poison. Its use leads to generate the mental and spiritual powers and special divine thoughts rise in mind. Manik or ruby balances Surya (Sun).

Surya represents the king of the solar system in Jyotish. It also represents Authority, Power, Self, Father, Body and Health. Depending on the placement of Surya in your birth chart, the wearing of a ruby may be very auspicious in strengthening the positive influences of Surya. Surya, the sun acts like the Thalamus in the Human Physiology.

So we have Diamond, Emerald, and Ruby. Really great names Tiger poachers can be shot - Page 2 768480

whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zabeen Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:33 pm

we speak Bengali :) and thanks for the meaning...really nice names Very Happy
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:32 pm

A good move to wait for your dad to return Zabeen and try and sort out what is actually going on and if help is needed. Thanks for asking your dad to help Very Happy

Loving the names of the cubs, both in Bengali and English and loving the explanation about the name Ruby WS, thanks both of you for the names and info cheers

Looking forward to hearing about any news your dad is able to find out Zabeen.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zabeen Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:19 pm

latest news from today's daily star :) and thanks littlewid for the encouragement Very Happy

Young felines doing well
Staff Correspondent

The three Bengal tiger cubs rescued from a wildlife smuggler's house nine days ago have adjusted quite well to their new home in the National Botanical Garden in the capital's Mirpur.

The young felines were shifted from a private mini zoo in Hatirpool to their latest abode on Friday.

Frolicking in a room measuring 15.6 square metres, the cubs seemed to be faring quite well with caregivers attending to their needs.

Two veterinarians, one from Dulahazra Safari Park and the other from the Forestry Department have also been assigned to keep an eye on the cubs' health.

“The cubs are thriving on minced meat and Lactogen-1, a brand of infant formula milk”, said Didarul Islam, a caregiver who was brought from Dulahazra Safari Park to look after the cubs.

Three specialists from Wildlife Friends of Thailand (WFFT) also brought food and toys for the young felines while paying them a visit, he added.
zabeen
zabeen

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Thats good to read Zabeen, at least they are appearing to be doing well which is quite a comfort isn't it. It will still be good to get your dads perspective on it all when he returns and is able to speak to people.

We really appreciate you updating us , it's a story we want to keep following to make sure the cubs are ok and encouragement is easy Zabeen, you are doing all the hard work and reporting back wonderfully to us all Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next