Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WAA Autumn Watch 2012

3 posters

Go down

WAA Autumn Watch 2012 Empty WAA Autumn Watch 2012

Post  whitestarling Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Another year of Autumn on Wild About Animals. I've started to notice Birds on their migration flights this last week, down on the Coast. My first spot was a Curlew, although not migrating as Autumn approaches they move from inland, to coasts, and estuary’s
around the UK. The next were a few Great Black Backed Gulls, there is a small native group in the UK, but these numbers are swelled by them migrating in from Norway, and as we do'nt see them here in the summer, so these must be coming in from Norway. Unfortunatly to far out to get any photos yet. My latest spot was this Friday, when I saw a pair of Turnstones, these are usualy from Canada, and Greenland, some stay in the UK, and some continue on to Africa. I think the ones we see here on the North Wales coast are passing through we only see them for a short period through September. Today there were few more, and I did manage to get a couple of shots of them, not the best as they were quite a bit out, and I had no tripod as I was working, they like to feed right at the waters edge as the tide goes out , scrambling over, and around the rocks.
WAA Autumn Watch 2012 004110
This one shows how hard they are to spot on the rocks, unless their moving
WAA Autumn Watch 2012 00513
And a short 35sec video of them going over the rocks, better viewed on full screen, as they are quite small

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

WAA Autumn Watch 2012 Empty Re: WAA Autumn Watch 2012

Post  Laikipia Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks WS. It really seems that autumn is almost here. Thanks for the photos and clip.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:56 pm

The feel of the weather today relly makes me feel that Autumn is now here, it's quite chilly.
Lovely photo's WS and they are hard to see aren't they. I loved the little video, they move around quite quickly don't they and there were quite a few of them as well.
I love Autumn as a season so I am really looking forward to this thread getting filled with news and pics. Thanks for kicking it off WS with the lovely pictures and video of the Turnstones.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:23 pm

Well it's officialy Autumn today although its felt like its been here for weeks. Our Swallows went off to Africa last week on their holidays, although we'll miss them, at least the Car wont look as though its been parked in a chicken coop overnight WAA Autumn Watch 2012 40683 I WAA Autumn Watch 2012 40683 can wash it, and before its dry, they've hit it again Mad . The leaves are now coming off the trees, the Great Blackbacked Gulls are still around, and the Turnstones, although I have'nt been able to get any more pics, due to high tides, and the weather. The next migrant I'm loking for is the Snowbunting, that comes to some rocks on the coast near here.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:10 pm

This is a photo I had been planning to take this Autumn. I have passed this place many times over the years we have lived in Wales, its only 20 mins form where we live. In the Autumn its gorgous to see the colours are fantastic, and they do the most scrumptous cream teas. But as you can see someone beat me to it in the Daily Express
WAA Autumn Watch 2012 1_bmp12

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/349303/Summer-goes-out-in-a-blaze-of-golden-glory

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:23 pm

That is such a stunning picture WS, shame it wasn't yours but i'm glad you posted it, it is so pretty isn't it and you can just imagine having a cream tea there Very Happy

I have noticed on the drive home that all the trees are either loosing their leaves or turning the gorgeous golden and reds that signify Autumn, I adore this time of year.

I hope you manage to capture your Snowbunting, I may be wrong but I think you may have posted one before?

I'm looking forward to seeing our WAA Autumn Watch thread get filled with lovely pictures of Autumn.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:21 am

Lovely photo and it looks a perfect setting for cream teas Littlewid. Thanks WS.

The trees are beginning to turn and we've lots of berries which will be good for the Song Thrushes and Mistle Thrushes over the winter.

Looking forward to autumn photos from everyone.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down