Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wildlife Photographer of the Year Winners

4 posters

Go down

Wildlife Photographer of the Year Winners Empty Wildlife Photographer of the Year Winners

Post  Doogs Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Wildlife Photographer of the Year Winners Empty Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year Winners

Post  Laikipia Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks Doogs. They are all simply stunning!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Wildlife Photographer of the Year Winners Empty Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year Winners

Post  Chris-AWD Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks for posting this. I love the instinctive stalking by the cheetah cubs.

Statistics indicate that cheetahs are successful in about two out of every seven attempts.

The gazelle probably had no chance against four of them even if they are still clumsy and learning at that stage.
Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

http://www.africa-wildlife-detective.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Fantastic pictures Doogs, I love the Emporer Penguins and also the Black Headed Gull pictures. The Cheetah one is a stunning picture but it brought a lump to my throat, the look of terror on that young Thomsons Gazelle just really hits you. You don't ever really see their faces that close when they are being hunted and for me that was so sad and as you say Chris, it didn't stand a chance.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:07 pm

I Agree Littlewid, but i would rather not see the face of the hunted, I know it is life but it is none the less seriously harsh and unpleasant.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris-AWD Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:15 pm

I suppose because we grow up with these scenarios in Africa where the weakest, youngest and slowest will always be the prime prey - we are not that sensitive to it.

Always remember it is part of nature's perfect design, which results in a perfect balance (until people start disturbing that balance off course)
Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:30 pm

What you say is so true Chris, nature has the balance worked out perfectly and it is man who comes along and upsets the balance, either for greed or because he feels he knows best.....which is more often than not, not the case.

I understand and respect nature and would always try and leave nature to do what it does best but I am also one of those people who has the utmost respect for nature but also struggles with the harshness of it at the same time. I suppose it's akin to you seeing a young Thomsons Gazelle being killed day in day out and me seeing Hedgehogs or Rabbits killed on the road day in day out, it brings tears to my eyes everyday, my heart never tunes in to say "oh thats just life" or it will be food for some birds or a fox, my heart always goes out to the creature that was living and feeling. Thats probably a very impractical way to live and cope with the harshness of life but I cant turn that side of me around. But on the other hand, I would never want a Cheetah to starve, so I do accept they have to kill the young Gazelles to survive and thats why there are more Gazelles than there re Cheetah.....I suppose I would just like a rosey world.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris-AWD Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:36 pm

littlewid - the difference is of course that the Cheetahs are acting naturally while Hedgehogs or Rabbits killed on the road is a good example of an unnatural event where man has interfered with nature.

We find road kills very frustrating in our country because it is virtually impossible to prevent while animals are attracted to vehicle headlights for example.

I understand your natural instinct is to feel sympathy for the animals because you are "wildaboutanimals" which I suppose is the very reason why you are involved with a forum like this in the first place.
Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:10 pm

cheers Chris-AWD a very good point.

My particular horror is road kill especially when it is badgers and foxes, oh and hedgehogs.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down