Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News - Male and Female Hedgehogs prefer different gardens!

3 posters

Go down

News - Male and Female Hedgehogs prefer different gardens! Empty News - Male and Female Hedgehogs prefer different gardens!

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:18 pm

A study of urban hedgehogs has found they prefer certain types of garden.

Female hedgehogs prefer to use the back gardens of semi-detached and terraced houses, rather than detached homes.

Such gardens provide ample food, but are safer, as female hedgehogs are less likely to be attacked by urban badgers, or be disturbed by dogs or people.

However, male hedgehogs take more risks and are more likely to roam across gardens of larger detached houses to find new mates, finds the study.

For the full article and details of the study click HERE

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

News - Male and Female Hedgehogs prefer different gardens! Empty Re: News - Male and Female Hedgehogs prefer different gardens!

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:33 pm

An interesting read - and i suppose it makes sense.

Thanks for the link SM

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

News - Male and Female Hedgehogs prefer different gardens! Empty Re: News - Male and Female Hedgehogs prefer different gardens!

Post  littlewid Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:36 pm

I love that SM, goes to prove even our little Hedgehogs aren't stupid, they know what they are doing, it's just a shame that the males have to take the risks they do to further their gene pool.

I love Hedgehogs, it was about this time last year that Bentley and I rescued one from the road, it was only a baby hedgehog who must have gone on a wander, Bentley surprised me by laying down beside him in the road keeping a watchful eye around us whilst I encouraged him to move on, every inch he took, Bentley moved with him. You could tell Bentley was in protective mode as usual and not in the least bit wanting to hurt it, it was so cute to watch.

I don't get any in my garden but I would surely make them welcome if I did.

Thanks for the article SM

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Bentley really is such a sweetie Littlewid, that's just the nicest story ever. What a gorgeous boy he is.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down