Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asian money leads to S.Africa rhino poaching rise

3 posters

Go down

Asian money leads to S.Africa rhino poaching rise Empty Asian money leads to S.Africa rhino poaching rise

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Quoted from Reuters

Asian money leads to S.Africa rhino poaching rise
By Jon Herskovitz

JOHANNESBURG, July 15 (Reuters) - Booming demand from increasingly rich Asian markets has led to a spike in rhino poaching in South Africa this year, officials say.

The latest rhino victim was found on Wednesday in South Africa's Krugersdorp Nature Reserve, where the animal was downed with a tranquiliser dart, had its horn removed with a chain saw and bled to death on the dusty terrain.

Poaching has been a long-term problem in impoverished African states. But the recent rise appears to be due to increased demand and higher prices for rhino horn in Asia where it is used as a medicine, and successful conservation in South Africa that has led to an increase in the rhino population.

South Africa has lost nearly 100 rhinos this year to poaching, after losing 122 last year, which was a record high. In response, Africa's richest economy has set aside more funds for rangers, equipment and policing to crack down on the trans-border crime.

"This is a war we plan on winning," David Mabunda, the head of South African National Parks, said in a statement.

This month, in a high profile case, a Vietnamese man was sentenced to 10 years in jail for trying to smuggle rhino horn, one of the harshest sentences ever given in the country.

South Africa was home to about 90 percent of the white rhinos in Africa as of the end of 2007 with just over 16,000, according to a report submitted last year to a U.N. commission by conservation groups including the International Union for Conservation of Nature.

Rhino horn has been used for centuries in Chinese medicine, where it was ground into a powder and often mixed with hot water to treat a variety of maladies including rheumatism, gout, high fever and even devil possession.

In recent years, it has taken on the reputation for being an aphrodisiac and gained in popularity among the newly rich in Vietnam and other southeast Asian states, where it is seen as a cancer remedy, studies have found.

This has caused the price of rhino horn to swell to 36,300 pounds ($55,700) a kilogramme, making it far more expensive than gold, according to the conservation group International Rhino Foundation.

It said the typical adult rhino has about 7 kg (15.4 pounds) of horns, which would translate to about $40 million worth of value being taken by poachers in South Africa so far this year.

Poachers target rhinos in South Africa's sprawling and difficult to patrol national parks and massive game preserves, according to government conservation officials.

They use foot soldiers on the ground and helicopters in the air to search for rhinos that they either gun down with high-powered arms or by letting them bleed to death as happened in the most recent killing.

South Africa, which uses wildlife tours to draw tens of thousands of tourists, has become the main battleground for poachers who have devastated rhino populations in other African states.

"We ... are paying a high price with these senseless killings of our animals, while some leader of a syndicate is winning the minds and hearts of ordinary and poor members of society to be on the frontline of these evil operations," Mabunda said. (Editing by Mark Heinrich)
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Asian money leads to S.Africa rhino poaching rise Empty Re: Asian money leads to S.Africa rhino poaching rise

Post  Laikipia Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:45 pm

This makes me so mad - when will something be done to educate the chinese in their beliefs of using rhino horn and the like for medicinal purposes?

It goes on and on and in this day and age you would think they could find something else man made rather than destroy all these animals just because.

I have to count to 100 before i type what i really think of this.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Asian money leads to S.Africa rhino poaching rise Empty Re: Asian money leads to S.Africa rhino poaching rise

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:05 pm

Lai it makes me made and upset too, and I wonder what can be done to change the mindset of the chinese and other countries. They are age old beliefs that they have and I am positive there is no founding for them, in that I mean solid evidence based data that they do what they want them to do and if Rhino horn was a cure for cancer then I think you would find that it would be legalised or a man made substance would be manufactured by leading phamarceutical companies to mimic the working it has on cancer cells and as far as I am aware that research has not been entered into, so again it's just a very silly and stupid myth and the Rhino are suffering.....I think the only idiotic belief these people have is if you ingest or inject any part of a big powerful animal its going to make you a bigger more powerful man and the belief that body parts of a powerful animal are going to rampage through your system and cure all or give you the sexual prowess of a wild animal is just farsicle.

One thought I had is that maybe, if it could put an end to these age old beliefs and if it was legal, some of the pharmaceutical companies could run double blind trials on what is perceived to be an aphrodisiac against sound evidence based medicine. In such trials you are not aware of what you are taking, they do it with actual medicine against placebo's, it's how you check the safety of a drug. It would be interesting to see what came out on top, and I bet it would be the evidence based medicine.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:14 pm

It is as you say the old beliefs - there is no evidence whatsoever, and it just saddens me to read daily about all these endangered animals being needlessly slaughtered. I read something about the number of sharks being killed for their fins and was horrified, it just goes on and on. One day we will wake up to it but i hope it isn't too late for some of these animals.

Lai No
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down