Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES)

+2
littlewid
Safari Maiden
6 posters

Go down

Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Empty Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES)

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Elephant behind BOON LOTT'S ELEPHANT SANCTUARY Elephant behind
Located in Northern Thailand, Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) is passionately devoted to creating a safe and natural environment for Thai elephants. BLES is the only sanctuary in Thailand that puts the well-being of elephants first. There are no performances -- just elephants being elephants.
STAR
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_s10
Star’s birth on September, 18, 2007 was cause for huge celebration. Not only was she the first calf to be born at BLES, she was the first calf to be born in our village of Baan Tuek.

On May 24, 2010, there was a heavy rain storm. Star was in the forest and instead of taking shelter under her mother’s belly, she was dancing in the rain, rolling in the mud, and loving her life. The storm turned its attention to Star and sent a flash of lightning down to strike her. The shock was too much for her little round body. She died instantly.

Star's Full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/star
PANG NOI
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_p10
Pang Noi (Miss Little in Thai) is the smallest of our adult females and our most ambitious rescue to date. When three-out-of-five owners of a pregnant logging elephant visited BLES to propose a sale, Katherine and Anon had no idea what a confusing and complicated rescue they were about to conduct. The owners, five family members, expressed their desire to sell an elephant that would be useless once the calf was born. Katherine and Anon were relieved when told that the elephant was just an hour away in Ultradtt. However, when Katherine and Anon arrived at the meeting site, they were told that the elephant was in Chiang Kong, a 12-hour drive from BLES.

Pang Noi's full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/pang-noi
PANG TONG
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_p11
Pang Tong (Mrs. Gold in Thai) is the mother of the Sanctuary’s namesake, Boon Lott, and the matriarch of the BLES family. Her life before BLES was filled with abuse and distress. When Katherine and Anon met her owner, he proudly shared his personal story of beating, starving, and working her under dangerous conditions. He was oblivious to Pang Tong’s first pregnancy until he found the dead calf’s body beside her. The calf may have been stillborn due to Pang Tong’s highly distressed state or her isolation from other elephants.

Pang Tong's full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/pang-tong
SOMAI
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_s11
Somai is a rare case of an elephant donation and was the first arrival to BLES. One of the few lucky elephants left in Thailand, he was used for sustainable logging and well cared for by his village owners.

Somai's full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/somai
LOM
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_l10
Lom (Umbrella in Thai) is the life and soul of the BLES family. Since her arrival at BLES in July 2006, she has enchanted everyone with her bouncy, bubbly, and boisterous ways. Lom’s early life began on the streets of Chiang Mai, used for begging to the tourist trade. The visages of her struggles from that time are still evident. Scars remain from endless hours of being dragged through the streets by her ears and legs and being shot from behind with an air gun.

Lom's full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/lom
PLAI TONG JAI
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_p12
Plai Tong Jai (Heart of Gold in Thai) is the tallest member of the BLES family. When Anon overheard a man complaining that his elephant was a useless waste of time, Anon asked to see the elephant for himself. The elephant, in reference, was Plai Tong Jai, an incredibly tall, handsome but dangerously underweight specimen. Flies buzzed around Plai Tong’s spine, indicating broken skin where the bones had protruded.

Plai Tong Jai's full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/plai-tong-jai
MARE BOON MEE
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_m10
In her early 80’s, Mare Boon Mee (Mother of good fortune in Thai) is the oldest member of the BLES family. In March 2007, a panicked owner contacted Katherine and Anon to urgently request their help with his dying cow, Boon Mee. Katherine and Anon examined her and found that although she was visibly exhausted and quite ill, she was determined to live.

Mare boon Mee's full story can be read here:http://www.blesele.org/elephants/mare-boon-mee
SEEDOR YAI
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_s12
Seedor Yai (Mr. Big in Thai) is massive, standing an impressive 2.8 metres and weighing 4 tons. Like most of the elephants in north Thailand, Seedor Yai worked as a logging elephant until his elderly owner retired, retiring his bull with him. When the owner became ill and no longer able to support both his bull and his family, he made the difficult decision to sell his elephant. Several potential buyers interested in returning the bull to logging made generous offers.

Seedor Yai's full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/seedor-yai
PANG SUAI
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_p13
Pang Suai (Miss Beautiful) is in her thirties and one of the newer members join the BLES family.

Standing true to her name, Pang Suai (beautiful) is a physically stunning elephant. She is large and strong, but sadly these atributes have worked against her. Her super size and strength means that she has been overworked and subjected to extreme levels of stress for most of her life. Forced to pull piles of logs to feed mans’ greed, Pang Suai often had to work under dangerous conditions that resulted in a serious accident which left her right hind leg broken in half. Despite her pain and disability, Pang Suai was made to continue working.

Pang Suai's full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/pang-suai
TONG YUI AND BONG BENG
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_t10
Bles was first made aware of the plight of two street elephants back in June 2008 when Katherine received a heartfelt email from Jan Tunks. Jan wrote of how she had befriended Tong Yui, the elder of the two elephants, while traveling around Thailand in November 2007. In her own words, “I had seen elephants in Bangkok some years earlier and had been devastated to see how they lived and worked. Despite her hard life, Tong Yui was full of love, compassion, and humility… she was kind, gentle and strong, and greeted me each day by holding her trunk up to my face and blowing gently…”

Tong Yui and Bong Beng's full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/tong-yui-and-bong-beng
MEE CHOK
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Mee_ch10
Mee Chok (Blessed) was just twenty months old when BLES successfully rescued him. Previously known as Pheung Yai (Bumble Bee), this baby elephant had known nothing but the inside of the filthy shack he was chained and shackled in. He was snatched away from his birth mother when he was just a few months old, so that the owners could start breaking him in. He was put with another adult female who showed no interest in him and he was never allowed out of the broken down stable. Chained, shackled, and highly distressed, Mee Chok had wounds on his face and ears, was dehydrated, and thin.

Mee Chok's full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/mee-chok
WASSANA
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_w10
The rescue of Wassana (Fortune) was full of dramatic twist and turns and emotional ups and downs. BLES founders Katherine and Anon discovered Wassana by pure accident when following up on a call about a baby elephant living in unacceptable conditions.
They took a wrong turn and there she was… limping due to an old land mine injury which had blown away half of her foot and crying from the pain being inflicted on her by the mahout’s unhealthy obsession with his huge hook. Blood dripped down her face and there were numerous stab marks puncturing her forehead.

Wassana's full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/wassana-fortune
PANG DOW NAAM CHOK
Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Bles_p14
Pang Dow Naam Chok (Lucky Star) has endured more abuse than most twenty-something female elephants. Despite being seriously disabled, Pang Dow has been forced to live out every possible nightmare.

Pang Dow's full story can be read here: http://www.blesele.org/elephants/pang-dow

If you would like to make a donation to help with upkeep, rescues or anything then go to the BLES donation page here: BLES PAYPAL PAGE
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Empty Re: Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES)

Post  littlewid Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Thank you for highlighting the wonderful work of BLES SM. Often we would all like to do something to help but don't always have the funds to do so. If this is the case for any members or guests looking in, then please remember our charity search page that has the BLES link for easysearch. You can search as many words as you like and raise money for free for BLES. This charity really does need all the help we can give them, whether it's from our own pockets, fundraising or through the easysearch engine link.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Empty Help needed to rescue 'Beautiful Lotus'

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:10 pm

In Katherine's own words from her journal entry:

8 February 2011

When I think of a lotus flower, I have an image of a beautiful, round bud floating on top of the water, looking proud, yet delicate, but always attractive. There is something powerfully symbolic about it growing in the dark muddy water and pushing its way up towards the sunshine. The lotus symbolizes purity of heart and mind and faithfulness. It represents beauty, long life, health, honor and good luck…

Bwua Ngam is Thai for ‘Beautiful lotus’ and is the name of the elephant we are currently trying to save. She is certainly beautiful, but will she have a long life complete with good health, honor and luck? Sadly, not. Having spent her entire life standing on concrete, Bwua Ngam has developed osteomyelitis, a chronic bone infection and in her case, foot rot. She is 28 years old and has worked hard as a street beggar and trekking elephant. The infection in her four feet is so severe that she walks on the sides of her feet as it is too painful for her to walk properly. Her owners can’t force her to work anymore as she ‘moves too slow’ and so she stands, on a short chain, in a concrete barn, rocking from side to side, day in, day out.

This poor elephant has never been in a forest. She doesn’t know how to graze, forage for food, or play in the mud. Basically, Bwua Ngam doesn’t know what it means to be an elephant.

BLES wants to help show Bwua Ngam there is more to life than city streets and trekking camps.

Thanks to the generosity and patience of Silke Preussker BLES is in a position to save Bwua Ngam. We have the funds to secure her future, but funds are still needed to finance her rescue. Any contribution you can offer is greatly appreciated and will move us one step closer towards Bwua Ngam’s recuperation. Chipin To follow her story you can join our Facebook group.

On her behalf, I thank you in advance for your support.

Trunks up and fingers crossed for a speedy rescue and recover for Bwua Ngam,

Katherine xxx
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Empty Re: Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES)

Post  Laikipia Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:20 pm

I read something about this poor ele on FB - it makes you want to cry. I hope she will be rescued soon before it is too late for her.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Empty Shining Star

Post  Safari Maiden Tue May 24, 2011 9:00 pm

Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed May 25, 2011 5:54 am

Wow, that hits really hard doesn't it but if that doesn't get people to support the Star Medical centre I don't know what will. That is a clip that has so many magical and touching photo's but also a clip that demonstrates the world has lost a special baby Elephant. I really hope Katherine gets the support she needs to raise the money for the Star Medical Centre.
Rest In Peace little Star I love you

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed May 25, 2011 8:42 am

Oh dear what a thing to have happened, and how upsetting for everyone. That poor little ele and of course all her ele family must be grieving. That must be a one in a million chance and just so tragic.

RIP little Star, gone to the great savannah in the sky.

Lai Sad
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed May 25, 2011 11:20 am

Jeez SM. That was really tough to watch Sad Such a wonderful little Elephant. Heaven sent, and returned to Heaven. The Home Page Picture is my small tribute to a Little Star, and we will be making a Donation. Should any of our Visitors, or members whish to do so this is the Link
http://www.blesele.org

Rest in Peace Little Star
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Wed May 25, 2011 6:33 pm

That was extremely hard to make! Her mum yesterday stood in the pond in front of her grave and stayed there for over two hours, apparently having a little freak out. She knew it was one year ago yesterday Star was taken from her. Bless her! I love you I love you

The front page link looks great WS and thank you for your kind donation. I think you might need to highlight to BLES that it is specifically for the Star Medical Clinic, as I think they are putting those donations into a separate account.

SM

Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu May 26, 2011 2:00 pm

The clip kept 'buffering' every 2/3 seconds so I must confess I gave up after a wee while but not before seeing what happened to little Star, poor little Elephant behind how terribly sad Sad

Thanks for the link to make a donation WS cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri May 27, 2011 10:58 pm

How amazing it just goes to show what feelings Elephants have, and their memory of thing that have happened in the Past
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue May 31, 2011 11:33 am

Wow SM. What a wonderful, touching clip! I must confess I was in a mess after watching it!! Elephants never cease to amaze me. How her Mum knew the time she had lost her little one. So incredibly intelligent.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) Wa166

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:14 am

Wow that was an emotional clip to watch first thing, had me Sad even though it was a happy outcome for Tong Jai.

Thanks WS - it's also reminded me I must check out the BLES website again.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down