Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landing Lights for Bumblebees

5 posters

Go down

Landing Lights for Bumblebees Empty Landing Lights for Bumblebees

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:17 pm

Landing Lights for Bumblebees

ScienceDaily (Nov. 17, 2010) — Gardeners could help maintain bumblebee populations by growing plants with red flowers or flowers with stripes along the veins, according to field observations of the common snapdragon, Antirrhinum majus, at the John Innes Centre in the UK.

Bees are important pollinators of crops as well as the plants in our gardens.

"Stripes following the veins of flowers are one of the most common floral pigmentation patterns so we thought there must be some advantage for pollination," said Professor Cathie Martin from the John Innes Centre, an institute of the BBSRC.

Nuffield scholars spent successive summers observing the foraging patterns of bumblebees on snapdragon plants grown on a plot near Norwich. The students compared the number of visits by bumblebees to various cultivars of the common snapdragon and the number of flowers visited per plant. Red flowers and those with venation patterning were visited significantly more frequently than white or pink. More flowers were visited per plant too.

"Stripes provide a visual guide for pollinators, directing them to the central landing platform and the entrance to the flower where the nectar and pollen can be found," said Professor Martin.

"We examined the origin of this trait and found that it has been retained through snapdragon ancestry. The selection pressure for this trait is only relaxed when full red pigmentation evolves in a species."

Bumblebees are the main pollinators for snapdragon because the of the bee is needed to open the closed flower. Pollinators learn and memorize floral signals, such as flower shape, scent, colour and patterns of pigmentation. They return to flowers from which they have previously found food. Simple changes due to single gene changes can have dramatic effects on which pollinators visit and how often.

Collaborators on the project from New Zealand also analysed how the stripy patterns are formed along the veins of the common snapdragon. They showed that two signals interact to create the stripes.

"Complex colour patterns such as spots and stripes are common in nature but the way they are formed is poorly understood," said author Dr Kathy Schwinn from the New Zealand Institute for Plant & Food Research.

"We found that one signal comes from the veins of the petals and one from the skin of the petals, the epidermis. Where these signals intersect, the production of red anthocyanin pigments is induced."

Professor Douglas Kell, Chief Executive of BBSRC, which part-funded this research through strategic funding to JIC, said: "Pollinator insects, such as honeybees, have a highly significant role in agriculture and any reduction in numbers is economically damaging and risks our food security. Much of the food on our plates is reliant on insect pollination. BBSRC is investing in research to understand how we can arrest pollinator decline and this study shows how horticulturalists and gardeners can encourage bumblebee populations."
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Landing Lights for Bumblebees Empty Re: Landing Lights for Bumblebees

Post  Laikipia Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Seems logical and a good idea

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:52 pm

They had a segment on the importance of bees on Gardeners World and they said bees are really important to humans as they pollinate our crops. Apparently bee numbers and species are on the decline. At end of world war two they were around 24 species of bee common in the UK and now we only see mainly 5, some are long tongued and some are short tongued. I had no idea there were so many different species of bees, what we need to do is plant more flowers in our gardens for both long and short tongued bees. So lots of daisies, wallflowers and sea holly etc. If everyone plants lots of flowers we can help the bees as well as making it all pretty Laughing . Landing Lights for Bumblebees 768480

We have a native bees which visit my garden which are really small compared with the bees back home. I'm not at all sure what type they are as i googled bees native to oz and there are over 1500 varities.

TTMx

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:42 pm

We certainly do need our bees TTM, I think there was something on Bees on Spring Watch this year and I know kate Humble has her own Hive. I never realised there were short and long tongued bees though. I must admit my garden was a bit lacking in flowers this year.
I'm wary of bees with the cats though. One huge one got in the house this year and was determined to burrow into Tiga's fur, he is my Maine Coon boy. It took a lot to get it out of his fur and he could have got badly stung. I know it's probably a bit of an odd incident but it scared the life out of me and Tiga. However I do appreicate the importance of them and may try and plant some flowers they like at the bottom of the garden away from the doors and windows.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:37 pm

There has been a drastic decline in the UK of the Bee population through desease, and other factors with whole hives being wiped out, it was in the news early this year, and your right LW it was on Springwatch with Kate Humble. No one is quite sure, as to why the Bees have declined so much, but it was said that if they were wiped out it would drasticly effect our eco system with all pollination having to be carried out by hand. Which would mean that food production costs would be astonomical. So we should all plant more Bee friendly flowers
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:46 pm

we definatly need to look after them as if I remember rightly they pollinate about 70% of our food crops
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down