Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ZSL Launch Tiger Appeal

3 posters

Go down

ZSL Launch Tiger Appeal Empty ZSL Launch Tiger Appeal

Post  littlewid Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:43 pm

This goes hand in hand with the other link. I know zoos aren't always the best place for animals but ZSL is working to help save the Tiger and also work out in the wild to save the wild population. I think this needs applauding.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/8338784/Tiger-SOS-London-Zoo-launches-first-ever-appeal-to-save-Sumatran-tiger.html

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

ZSL Launch Tiger Appeal Empty Re: ZSL Launch Tiger Appeal

Post  Laikipia Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:12 pm

I would agree if the tigers were ever to be free - but life in a zoo No

Although I understand where they are coming from I just find the concept too sad.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:48 pm

I understand where you are coming from Lai. I too would love all animals that should be free in the wild to be so. I do believe the good thing from this is that they are working to preserve the Tigers habitat and to try and stop the unlawful killings. However, as we all know, this doesn't always save a species in the short term or even the long term sometimes and that is actually hard to say and realise. I do applaud that they are trying to work on the ground and fight for the Tigers but also on the flip side, the breeding programme and the raising of awareness, which I think they are also trying to raise some compassion for the Tigers in the younger generations eyes, will help to save the Tiger in the wild. It is our generation and the generations before that have shown such discompassion for wildlife and that it is the future generations that can really turn things around and I so dearly hope that can happen.
I so strongly wish that many could see animals the way we all do and have the respect we do for them but sadly we have to work really hard to change things around and sometimes I suppose we have to compromise and pray that the ideal that we would love to have for these animals, which is freedom, comes from having to work through other channels that may not be ideal to us but that hopefully in the future, the ideal for these animals will come to fruition and all wild animals will be safe and free and they will just live their own circle of life. But like you Lai and many others, I too think it's very sad that any animal has to be captive.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 am

I agree with all you say Littlewid and it is all about raising awareness for these animals now. Realistically animals born in captivity will always stay in captivity we know from so many wildlife programmes what can happen with the best will in the world with trying to release them back to the wild.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 pm

I really could'nt have put it better myself LW. I think you've covered all the points there. The one thing I do see as hopeful is that there seems to be more ,and more organisation, and charities doing release work, and getting more successful at it. So fingers X in the future it may be possible to release more of the offspring from these programes, although with Tigers I know it will be difficult, but it has been done before
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:01 pm

I know they don't say that they are hoping to release the captive bred Tigers back into the wild and yes that is sad, even though we know it is difficult to release captive bred animals back to the wild, although it can be done. It seems the main aim is to work on the ground to save the wild ones and then to educate the generations so that hopefully we no longer need captive bred animals to boost dwindling numbers or prevent extinction. A lot of the time it's down to how a project is handled, how well the education is managed and I suppose the toughest part is changing long term attitudes towards animals.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down