Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reggie The Hedgie

+2
Laikipia
littlewid
6 posters

Go down

Reggie The Hedgie Empty Reggie The Hedgie

Post  littlewid Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 pm

I am currently looking after my friends African Pygmy Hedgehog whilst they are on holiday in Austria.
Reggie is one year old and it's my first experience of looking after a Hedgehog but what an experience it is. I picked Reggie up on Friday after work and we are getting to know each other quite well.
He is currently in my bedroom with the heating on, they like it hot otherwise they will try to attempt to hibernate and domestic hedgehogs don't hibernate and it can be dangerous for them.
He comes out in the evening, the later the better as he is more awake, and he goes into an open top pen with his flower pot and food and water. He loves his flower pot and it can be difficult getting him out, not because of his spines just because he loves it so much, his great game is to wait for you to call him and then he puts his nose through the hole at the bottom of the pot.
He is very easy to handle and loves walking from hand to hand and does give you little licks, he doesn't bite. When you first pick him up he makes a kind of huffing noise and bristles up, it's a natural instinct to them to protect themselves from predators but once in your hands, he's like putty.
I will get some photos of him whilst he is here but at the moment we are becoming friends and I don't want to scare him with the flash, so for now heres a link to some info on them and a cute little picture that looks very similar to Reggie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_hedgehog

P.s. I am getting used to Reggie using his wheel at night......usually about 2 - 3 AM.....they can walk 5 miles per night in their wheel.......I think Reggie does What a Face Very Happy
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Reggie The Hedgie Empty Re: Reggie The Hedgie

Post  Laikipia Mon May 30, 2011 9:56 am

Reggie sounds adorable Littlewid - not sure about the 5 mile walk at 2.00am though affraid rather like when I had a hampster when I was a child and it kept me awake all night Laughing

Really looking forward to some photos once Reggie is settled, hoping the other furries are okay with Reggie and not eyeing him up.

Lai hedgehog
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon May 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Glad Reggie is setteling in OK LW, I'm sure he'll soon feel at home. I have the same problem as Reggie, I walk about 5 Miles a night, Mrs S reckons it's to do with the Boddys affraid but I'm not so sure
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue May 31, 2011 5:06 pm

Awww, I bet Reggie is adorable :) can't wait to see some pictures of him. Not sure about the 2am wake up call though. Very Happy
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Oh my goodness LW, Reggie sounds just amazing and incredibly cute I love you

Sounds like your heating bill is going to be expensive this quarter LW Reggie The Hedgie 40683 Reggie must be soooo cute when he sticks his nose through the botton of his flower pot, you'll really have to try and get a photo of him doing that so we can all go awwwwww !

5 miles a night affraid Awesome little man Wink Like a Star @ heaven
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:49 pm

Well i've spent a good part of the evening giving Reggie a little wash.....his feet can get a wee bit whiffy as he seems to think his wheel is a litter box as well as for exercise What a Face , so he has been sprussed up and his house has had it's daily clean. He has been playing in his pen and I have managed to get some photo's but true to form with animals.......no nose through the flower pot as yet.....will keep trying....I think he new what I was trying to get him to do and tonight we failed Embarassed
Heres a few pics for starters though of the little fellow.

Looking for an escape route out of the pen
Reggie The Hedgie Ducks_29

Maybe I need to look a little higher
Reggie The Hedgie Ducks_30

Maybe I need to go this way
Reggie The Hedgie Ducks_31

Lets try under here
Reggie The Hedgie Ducks_32

Ok wheres my flower pot then......under here maybe
Reggie The Hedgie Ducks_33

Yahoooo found my favourite flower pot
Reggie The Hedgie Ducks_34

Too much excitement for one night....I need my bed
Reggie The Hedgie Ducks_35

Reggies travel pad.......his luxury pad has been left behind......far too big for my car but he is very happy in here, as long as he has his wheel, food and water and litter box Reggie is cool hedgehog
Reggie The Hedgie Ducks_36

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:50 am

Isn't Reggie just so sweet I love you great to see some photos of him. Thanks for sharing Littlewid.

Lai hedgehog
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Aww what a little cutie. Thank you for sharing the photos with us Very Happy

hedgehog
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Oh my goodness LW, wot a little cutie, he's just adorable I love you hedgehog I love you

I do think that sometimes animals have a sixth sense about things, he knows you want a photo of him peeking his nose through that flower pot to show us all but he thinks to himself oh you will LW but when I'm good and ready lol!
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:58 pm

He is fantastically cute LW. Is it a lot to look after a Pygmy hedgehog??

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:30 pm

Well it was a sad evening yesterday......I had to take Reggie back to his owners Sad they very returned home from Austria so I reluctantly had to take him back. Reggie pleaded along with me for him to stay but they were having none of it.....the best we got was a promise to let him come and stay again bounce
I really miss the little fellow, he has been such fun and so friendly. Mind you, we never got the photo of his nose through the flowerpot but in the end I think that was my fault.......too busy playing with him but he will return so I will get a pic of him doing it.

In answer to your question SM they are easy to look after as long as you really want one. They have to be cleaned out every day and also their wheel......I mentioned the P & P in that earlier What a Face . They also need to have the contact to remain friendly and happy with you. In the end reggie and I became such good friends I was able to hand feed him which was so cool to do. They need to be warm to stop them hibernating as that is dangerous for them, so the heating needs to be on or you will need a safe heating system for the home in the winter. Feeding them is easy as you can get Hedgehog food, soft and peletts and they do like some of the cat food meats. They also eat meal worms etc and dried bananas. You have to be careful about their bedding so they dont eat it or choke on it.
If you work all day they are ideal as they are asleep and you can have fun with them later in the evening.
They are also not stupid, Reggie new his name and always responded to being called.
I would love to have one.......so watch this space and also for the return of Reggie for his next holiday hedgehog

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:50 pm

Its a shame when they have to go back LW. We feel the same when Harry has been to stay when he sends his owners on respite Reggie The Hedgie 40683 , but like you they have said he can come back when they are away again

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:15 pm

Sounds like you and Reggie really bonded and became great friends LW. I do think though that it was down to the love and care you gave him whilst your friends were on holiday, Reggie knew you were a good person and trusted you.

You're going to miss him and he's probably going to miss you but I'm sure the two of you will be reunited in the future hedgehog
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum