Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby reindeer Blue takes first steps

5 posters

Go down

Baby reindeer Blue takes first steps Empty Baby reindeer Blue takes first steps

Post  Safari Maiden Wed May 12, 2010 12:58 pm

This is adorable!

A quote of the Telegraph Article ...

"A reindeer calf - thought to be the first born in England since the last ice age - has been born in Cornwall to mum Prancer and dad Rudolph.

The parents were imported from Scandanvia in 2008 as part of Christmas celebrations in a country park near Helston, Cornwall.

But the animals have now acclimatised and 8lb Blue - nicknamed after the bluebell fields on the estate - was born on May 1.

A spokesman from the British Deer Society said: "Reindeer haven't been indigenous in England for at least 2,000 years, but that figure could be nearer to 10,000 years.

"The conditions in England, particularly the South West, make it hard for them to breed successfully."

Cairngorm Reindeer Centre in Inverness in Scotland is the only place where reindeer roam wild in the UK after they were re-introduced there in the 1950s.

The calf, which currently stands at little over a 1ft tall, is being fed by his mother but is already developing a taste for grazing in a specially designed pen.

He will soon be introduced to the rest of the herd and allowed to gaze in front of visitors to the 750-acre estate. "

There is footage of the little guy on the Telegraphs article HERE

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Baby reindeer Blue takes first steps Empty Re: Baby reindeer Blue takes first steps

Post  littlewid Thu May 20, 2010 7:31 pm

How gorgeous he is SM, just so lovely. That little guy is going to go down in history isn't he. I wonder if the cold winter we had has had anything to do with Prancer and Rudolph being able to breed in England. The reindeer in Scotland must be breeding so I wonder if our winters remain cold more could be born here too.
He's an adorable fellow and I wish him well. Thanks for posting that SM

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Baby reindeer Blue takes first steps Empty Re: Baby reindeer Blue takes first steps

Post  Laikipia Thu May 20, 2010 7:58 pm

What a lovely story - he is so cute. I hope that means there will be other reindeer born in England soon.

Thanks for posting SM

Lai Very Happy
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu May 20, 2010 11:42 pm

What a great little fellow, it's amazing how animals adapt. In a few years time we might have enough for Santa to base his sleigh in England
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri May 21, 2010 4:06 pm

OMG he's adorable I love you Like a Star @ heaven I love you Like a Star @ heaven

Great find SM Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down