Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam

4 posters

Go down

Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam Empty Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Just found this link to the Scottish Wildlife Osprey cam, Mum and two chicks. it is live footage from SWT's Loch of the Lowes Wildlife reserve Dunkeld.

So worth a look and maybe another one to follow before the chicks fledge.

http://www.thewebbroadcastingcorporation.com/swt/swt.php

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam Empty Re: Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam

Post  tigerburnie Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:54 pm

This mum is at least 25 years old and is thought to be the oldest known anywhere,normal lifespan is 7 or 8 years.There was some concern for her health and it was thought she might die before the young fledged,but happily she's back in good health again.The SWT also have web cams elsewhere,one at Montrose Basin is close to where I live.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks for the info there TB. The Montrose Basin was another cam I found I think but for some reason I couldn't get it to work on their site, I will have another look.
It's lovely that this mum has done so well for such a grand lady.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:22 pm

They were fitting a new cam,so maybe it's still having teething troubles,I've not been down for a few weeks.Both of us are members of the SWT,they have some lovely sites.I think there's a cam at a Peregrines nest over Glasgow way,they might have fledged now though.Falls of Clyde,I think it's called.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:24 pm

TB its not the cam it was me, I needed to download java.....so anyone watching it does need to have java, I have put it in a thread of its own under this wildlife section.
I think the Peregrines may have fledged TB, I have been trying to check out all the stuff on their site this evening.
Hope you enjoy the cams

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:56 pm

Fantastic cams - and plenty of them. I found one on badgers at Denbury Farm (sorry gone off on a tangent here)

Great link. Thanks.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:39 pm

No Lai I saw that one too and nearly posted it, there are certainly alot of nice cams around.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Just had a look on the cam but it's to late at night to see anything 25 yrs old that is some age. your doing us proud with all the information TB Thanks
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:20 am

Just been checking the Ospreys, they are sleeping in the nest this morning. This is a nice one to view.

WS I cant take pictures from this cam, remember once before on another cam all I got was a black picture, well this is the same, do you or SM have any ideas as I believe on the cam I had trouble with before you both managed to get pictures.

Will have to leave pics up to someone else at the moment on here but do check the cam out its lovely.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:34 pm

The other site you could'nt take pics of was Wild Cam Africa on Nat Geo Graphic site. I can get pics on this one, bit they are not that clear although I have tried to tweek them. I think it could be due to the wind, and rain, will have to wait and see on a calm day. The chicks are spreading their wings, and flapping a lot, I dont think it will be to long before they fledge. These are two shots I took, not very clear , but the best I could get
Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam Osprey11
Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam Osprey12

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:37 pm

At least you got pics WS Very Happy it was a bit clearer this morning but not as clear as yesterday, it must be due to the weather.
Looks like your the picture poster on this one WS, I can only view but not take pics unfortunately.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:32 pm

We've got high winds and the occasional thunder storms today,so I guess the cameras getting a bit of bashing around today.Not been to the Loch of the Lowes(rhymes with cows)for a year or more,often pass it on my way elsewhere.There are nests nearer to me,so I'm spoilt for choice.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Lucky you TB, not with the weather lol! , but being spoilt for choice with the nests.
Ok LW I will do the pics on this one, but I have to say looking at the camouflage of the birds in the nest it will be difficult to see
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:28 am

10-30am this morning still very windy. The 2 chicks are keeping there heads down staying out of the wind. Otherwise I think they would be blown out of the nest. This shot is a bit clearer than the last

4 July 2010

Moist musings, perhaps even wet ones this morn…all of us creatures are so interconnected; from clean oxygenated water, not too many phosphates, nitrates, heavy metals; to aquatic plant life, invertebrates, amphibians, small fish, and large; to osprey, migrant birds, mammals; and all of their intricate mechanisms from sodium/potassium balance/imbalance inervating nerves which stimulate muscles and move bones on joints. It requires so much to be in order to accomplish what seems to be a very simple thing; mopping a floor, learning to sense air resistance against feathers, to use a tail to manouevre, balance (squirrels also), eye coordination and on…
I have used the word “miracle” and “miraculous” often as many of us have, this past fortnight in referrence to “our” female. There are so many occurances that we miss moment by moment. On this moist day without the strong wind forcast, let take a moment to feel the fresh drops of water on us. And continue to marvel the unfolding day before us. Rinchen
Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam Osprey13

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks WS. Sounds as if they are still having bad weather there. Lets hope it clears up soon for them. Once the weather settle im sure the pics will be clearer again but that one is alot clearer than yesterdays.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:29 am

Latest News & Photos from the Osprey Cam. The pics are still not to clear its because the Birds blend in so well with the nest. They were doing wing exercises this morning

Latest osprey blog
5 July 2010

Good morning all

Sorry for being so late with this morning's post - it has been very hectic here at Lowes this morning.

I think our Lady has proven her fitness in getting through yesterday's thunderstorm. The weather was very severe at times and I, for one, would not have liked to be 60ft up a Scots pine during that downpour! Let's hope the rest of the week is more settled.

The family have had a few visits this morning from other ospreys, this will happen more and more as young ospreys from around the area find their wings. Our young too will venture out to visit other nest sites nearby. It is not unusual to see young from other nests begging for food at a neighbour's nest site, but this has not been recorded at Lowes yet.

Peter
Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam Osprey14

Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam Osprey15

Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam Osprey16

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:42 am

Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam 768480 great update WS

Thanks, Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:14 pm

New update today 8th July Chicks are huddled down in the wind with Mum looking over them
Latest osprey blog
8 July 2010

Good morning all

have been off for three days, on a busman’s holiday watching ospreys fishing in the sea at SWT Reserve at Spey Bay- which I highly recommend. I am so pleased to find our wee young ospreys did not choose that time to fledge ( as many of you will know I have a knack of missing important events despite almost living here!) , and that all is well on the nest. What a lot of activity though - the youngsters are bigger and stronger by the day!

Whist we’ve had a couple of vertical 'lift-offs' we haven’t had a full fledging ( actually leaving the nest) - yet. This morning we thought one of the chicks had left the nest at around 7.45 am, but it was in fact just hiding off screen on the left. This is because we are still on the backup camera this morning (there is a bit of HD maintenance going on) and this camera has been shifted slightly right by the high winds we've had recently.

Our advice is to use both cameras over the nest few days and use the overview of the nest to see if there is a complete lift-off!

Emma Rawling

Scottish Wildlife Osprey Cam Osprey17

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:37 pm

Great updates WS, they've had alot of bad weather to contend with havent they and I fel sorry for them, especially mum, she is doing a god job. At least the weather and cam maintainance explains the pic quality but brill you have got some pics and you can clearly see the flapping of the wings.

Thanks for keeping us all updated on these wonderful birds.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:35 am

No Photo this morning its just showing the Loch of the Lowes, but here's the latest Blog
Latest osprey blog
12 July 2010

Our first born osprey chick has been pretty busy since fledging for the first time yesterday- no less than six flights from the nest and a few practise landings (some better than others which can be comical!) This morning it has been away for quite some tim e- but don’t worry we’ve just found it perched high above the loch on the far side of the bay, getting used the new view.

With wing muscles only just getting used to all this work, chicks will often perch up somewhere nearby to rest and get the energy up to fly back to nest. Never fear though, as soon as there is even a hint of food arriving at the nest, the chick will appear as if from nowhere - sound familiar to anyone with teenage children?

The second, slightly younger chick seems to be getting ready to follow suit this morning- after an attempt this morning at about 6.30am. Stay tuned!

Emma

PS At 9.10am a spectacular aerial dog fight between the osprey parents and a heron who dared to come too close the nest, just shows the instinct to protect is still strong despite the chicks being big enough to defend themselves now!

Update: At 9.40am the second chick took its maiden flight- a text book one at that!
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:59 am

A lovely update - thanks WS

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia