Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish First

5 posters

Go down

Scottish First Empty Scottish First

Post  whitestarling Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Scottish First We50

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Scottish First Empty Re: Scottish First

Post  Laikipia Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:02 am

Pretty looking bird - these twitchers have got to be seriously keen haven't they?

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Gosh you're right there Lai affraid !!!

Ian was telling me about this the other night, probably when we were watching our recording of Autumnwatch. Very bonny little things I love you
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:27 pm

Lots of unusuals about on the coasts at the moment,we have great grey and red backed shrikes in Angus at the moment.Keep your eyes peeled there's a lot on the way,with snow forecast for Scotland this week things will be being pushed further southwards.Fieldfares,Redwings,Mistle Thrushes all around in numbers,might be a Waxwing year if we are lucky.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 pm

It did say on Unsprung in the weather bit that with the wind direction there would be migrations coming in from the North, sounds as though you have loads to look at TB, on this side of the coast we get them a lot later
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Snow on the hills is pushing things down to lower levels,huge numbers of waders and wildfowl coming down from the north,wild swans in bigger numbers than we usually see this time of year.Montrose basin webcam could be worth a visit if you like the wild fowl,huge geese numbers at the moment.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks TB. I need to sort this cam for my desk top. It's ok on my notebook but I need to organise it for this one, for some reason I can't view it on here. It would be lovely to see all the migrants coming in.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks TB trouble is at the moment by the time I get in from work the lights gone, it's a bit difficult as I work all weekend, but I will try to have a look in the week
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:40 pm

First Waxwings spotted,10 flew over me at work just in off the sea,I think there's a bad winter north of here,just hope it stays up there.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:04 pm

For all wildlife I am hoping this winter is not as bad as last years, it was pretty harsh for them all.
How wonderful to see 10 waxwings flying above you TB, I bet that was a wonderful sight.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:22 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11673956

A bit of good news,I've seen female Capers in Perthshire,but not seen or heard a male yet.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:54 pm

That really is good news TB. Is it my imagination or is Scotland doing really well in the wildlife stakes with helping to preserve and re-introduce many different species of wildlife? they seem to be doing awfully well which is wonderful.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks TB, did'nt recognise the name at first, although I thought I remembered it from a TV programe, untill I saw the photo. It's great that they have increased to the extent they have in such a relatively short time. Just goes to show what carefull planning can do. AS LW says Scotland seems to be doing really well, in conseravation, and re-introduction areas
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:43 pm

The key to almost all species doing well is having the right environment and lack of disturbance.
I took a guy who worked for me on a course down in Gloucestershire,he could not believe the drive through spaghetti junction,how flat it was and how many houses there were.As I said to him,the entire population of Scotland would easily be accomodated in that bit of the black country.
Scotland, especially the highlands is sparsely populated and has poor roads,meaning less disturbance for the wild life.
Given the will and some money we could have a world class wildlife experience on our own doorstep.But it does need looking after,some large estates have been neglected and when the habitat goes,so does the wildlife.
I wish more qualified people worked on the land rather than "old traditions" being used all the time as some clearly are out of touch.An example is that the balance between predator and prey needs to be maintained,most estates still think that anything with a tooth or a claw has to be exterminated,nature requires a balance.
Big industry like forestry is also coming round to it's responsibilities,though wind farms seem to be being built with little or no thought for the consequnces.
I am , however more confident that some are opening their ears and eyes and learning that we have to think for the future and not just a fast buck today.
My personal input is into the rivers,I was involved in cleaning up rivers in England,now I'm in a very low key way,helping to monitor the revival of the wild salmon and sea trout stocks and assist with education of those in the industry.Getting there,slowly, as old habits die hard.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Balance is the key to everything TB but as you say, often old traditions are often the route people seem to follow rather than the knowledge of the experts. We are also clawing alot of habitat away from the wildlife to cope with the ever increasing population. Alot of the green land here is being taken over to build houses. There has been an ongoing battle to preserve one of our local woods and the only way it finally remained a wood was by tree Huggers as they would be known, taking up residence in the woods to keep them safe from being destroyed. For now they are safe but the council are again appealing the decision. To have it repelled would be devastating for the wildlife that live there.
Destroying woodland is not only bad for the wildlife but also the planet.
It sounds as if you are doing alot of good work yourself TB and without sounding patronising, that can only be applauded.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:32 am

Waxwings are still arriving in Montrose,saw another 20+ this morning,keep your eyes peeled.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:21 pm

I've been looking everyday - and so far .................. no luck.

After last night's gales, I am surprised there are any birds still around.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Will keep my eyes peeled incase the come a bit further north cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:43 pm

A bit far north for me TB, there was some great Pics of them on Autumnwatch unsprung last night
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Some were near Bristol,so you never know,doouble check those starlings,they might have a funny crest on their heads.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down