Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring Watch 2010

+4
whitestarling
Safari Maiden
Laikipia
littlewid
8 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Empty Re: Spring Watch 2010

Post  littlewid Tue May 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Have you ever thought of trying two tables Lai, one for the little woodpecker and friends and the other one for the Jackdaws with a sign post saying "Jackdaws this way"????.....sorry that's really not helpful and I should be serious.....but I did say in Lets Chat I may try and be mischievious this evening Very Happy ....i've got it out of my system now....promise.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue May 25, 2010 8:35 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Littlewid - i know i should love all the birds but they are greedy, pushy and noisy affraid they have a lot of young in their nests so i feel i should be kind to them all Shocked

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Lai, I agree, all the birds need looking after, they all deserve it. I will even stand on the side of the Seagulls and the Pigeons, which alot of people do not like, but they are all only living their lives as best they can.
I think you have a wonderful variety of birds in your garden and I imagine they are only too pleased its you that lives there and looks after them all.....whatever their personalities are.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue May 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Tomorrow i'll put out more suet cakes and fat balls and the whole lot will go before i blink. I'm going to try and get a photo of the Nuthatch and also the Great Tits going into their nest in the wall. I may have to sit there for hours, in between going to work lol!

You are right though the birds just do what they have to. We have some wood pigeons who come in and i know they can be a pest but to me they seem quite harmless - and they dont make a noise like the crows and jackdaws.

Bring back the little birds - Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed May 26, 2010 6:25 pm

I have a question that is sort of Spring watch as its a spring weed. Everytime I walk the dogs at this time of year, they constantly eat the weed in the picture, I know it only as a clock, we used to blow them when we were younger and all the little bits flew off, I was wondering if anyone knows the real name for them and why dogs eat them? they are obviously completely harmless as neither dog is ever ill and they seem to choose the ones they want to eat, it's not everyone of them that they can't resist, there must be a particular reason why some are eaten and others left.....any ideas on this Spring Weed and why dogs eat them?
Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Ducks_14
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed May 26, 2010 7:04 pm

Isn't that a Dandelion?

Medicinal uses
Dandelions, flowers, roots and leaves, have been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine & medicinal teas, most notably for liver detoxification, as a natural diuretic and for inflammation reduction[citation needed]. Unlike other diuretics, dandelion leaves contain potassium, a mineral that is often lost during increased urination. There is also evidence that this property of dandelion leaves may normalize blood sugar

Dandelion leaves are believed to have a diuretic effect as they increase salt and water excretion from the kidneys.

Maybe the dogs are using them as a medicine - like when they eat grasses and things.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed May 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Well isn't it amazing how every day you can show how dumb you are...and today for me, it's one of those days.
I never realised dandelions turned into those fluffy things, i always thought they were those bright orange things and then they just died.....now I know differently Lai....i'm a tad embarrassed.

it's still odd though, how they eat them when they have gone white and they don't touch them when they are in flower.
I imagine Bentley is eating them for the anti-inflammatory effect because of his joints, but Nero I have no idea, maybe he is just copying Bentley.

Thanks for that though Lai and I can't believe I never realised they were dandelions Embarassed

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed May 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Littlewid we all have those days Embarassed so don't be embarassed. I am sure dogs/cats always know what's good for them. Penny and Tamu often eat some grass like things down by the river, i assume it's because they are needing something. :idea:

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu May 27, 2010 9:36 pm

After my big gaff yesterday, I thought I would post something that I recognised immediately, as i said before, we have loads of Buttercups around and whilst walking the boys yesterday I thought I would take a picture of them, they are such sunny things and I love them and remember putting them under your chin to see if your skin glowed, if it did , it meant you liked Butter.....the things kids believe Very Happy
Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Ducks_16

Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Ducks_17

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Since you mentioned buttercups earlier on i have now notice zillions of them, funny how they've suddenly appeared.

I also remember putting one under your chin and being told that you liked butter if you glowed - Laughing

Lovely buttercup pics Littlewid. flower

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat May 29, 2010 9:51 pm

A few birds from today

Our lovely woodpecker who comes back time and time again despite the jackdaws stealing his suet cakes and nuts
Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Woodpecker4

Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Woodpecker3

Finally i have caught some photos of the Nuthatch - a very flighty bird who doesn't hand around for long!
Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Nuthatch2

Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Nuthatch1

Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Nuthatch

I never tire of seeing these beautiful Goldfinch
Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Goldfinch2

Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Goldfinch3

Lai lol!
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat May 29, 2010 10:57 pm

Just wonderful Lai, I love that little Woodpecker, he is so cute, the nut holder is so huge compared to him and the Nuthatch, what a capture to get him and like you I love the Goldfinch, such a beautiful bird, you really are very lucky Lai, I wished we had more variety here.
Thank you so much for posting them, how long does your bird food last with all the visitors you have?

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun May 30, 2010 6:59 am

Thanks Littlewid

i love trying to get these photos but really need to be closer, i am taking these from inside and want to move outside but will have to do it gradually so i don't spook the birds.

The feed isn't lasting long with the jackdaws helping themselves and fighting over it. I top up the ground feeder everyday and also the fat balls and suet cake What a Face fortunately they can't get at the sunflower hearts or the nyger seeds. I think i am keeping the garden centre busy with the amount we buy.

Lai Laughing
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun May 30, 2010 8:38 am

I imagine the Garden Centre love you visiting Lai but with all those visitors and the Jackdaws of course it's no wonder you visit so often, but I bet all the little birds are pleased you do.
Your pictures are lovely, so if they are all taken from indoors I can only imagine what they would be like if they were taken outdoors, as you say though, you don't want to spook the birds, it's slowly, slowly isn't it, it would be horrible to scare them off when they are so used to visiting and having regular food to eat.
I love your pictures, so whether they are indoors or outdoors, keep sharing them Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon May 31, 2010 10:55 pm

SPRINGWATCH was amazing this evening, they have some wonderful cams to watch from 4am to Midnight. You can check out all their news and updates on www.bbc.co.uk/springwatch

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:28 am

Thanks Littlewid - i've recorded it to watch before tonight's otherwise i'll get behind!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:08 pm

I wont say anything about it until you've seen it Lai, don't want to spoil it for you. I will be recording tonights and then catching up with it later, it's just so lovely to have it back......mind you, out there today it's been more like Winterwatch, its poured with rain all day here, so looking forward to all the news on Springwatch tonight.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Caught up on first episode - wow it was great, so much to see and all these lovely cams we are going to follow.

Recording tonight's to watch later. If you're watching it now, enjoy lol!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:26 pm

I don't know if anyone is watching Springwatch and i am still behind, 30 mins of last night to watch before tonight but wow Simon King filming that Hobby with a super slow camera - totally awesome.

I am loving this programme.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:29 pm

I still have to catch up on last nights Lai and I have a feeling I will be recording tonights as well.....where does the time go scratch
They had the Hobby in the first episode, he was lovely wasn't he.
If I can get myself organised I may be able to catch up with last nights today, but i'm not holding out much hope......I could be having a mammoth session at the weekend Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:13 pm

Great pictures Lai love the woodpecker, and the Nut Hatch. I'm in the same boat as you LW, trying to catch, but its that flippin Britains got Talent thats getting in the road
Here s a couple of pics from the Web Cams on Spring watch just taken them 11-10pm the first is the Kestrel with 4 chicks
Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Swkes10
The next is the Blackbirds nest
Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Swbb10
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:56 pm

I keep watching BGT too WS and taping Springwatch, so i've got a lot of catching up to do as well, hopefully I will have a springwatch weekend.
Love the pics from the cams and really need to get viewing them ASAP, i'm slacking a bit but the weekend is nearly here and then I should be up to date with it all for next week.
Thanks alot for the pics WS.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:37 am

Brilliant pics WS! I have not seen Springwatch yet either and these are rather tempting snippits.

Blackbirds are so common about our gardens that you take them for granted, but mum nesting is a pretty sight.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 am

Help - i've also got a big catch up on Springwatch - about 3 episodes What a Face i guess the weekend is coming Laughing

Blackbirds are gorgeous, they have the best bird song ever lol!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:44 pm

Been checking the Springwatch Web Cams again got a few Pics. I dont think these will spoil it for those that havent caught up yet.
First the 4 Kestrel Chicks, then the Mother brooding the chicks
Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Swkes11

Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Swkes110

These are the Willow Warbler chicks they are ready to fledge at any moment, but I cant see them going now proberbly in the morning if the weathers OK
Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Swww10

and last Cadis fly's at Otter Bridge, just a tip if anyone has time to watch the Cams over the weekend there have been Otters there this week
Spring Watch 2010 - Page 2 Swob10

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next