Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waxwings!

+2
tigerburnie
Laikipia
6 posters

Go down

Waxwings! Empty Waxwings!

Post  Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:51 pm

This afternoon Milton Keynes played host to a flock of 100+ Waxwings feasting on rowan berries at The Centre:MK.

Around 30 twitchers were in attendance with cameras and binoculars to see the Waxwings at dinner and at play. While Waxwings are not strangers to the British Isles, it is rare for them to come so far south. Twitchers have been plotting their winter search for berries after this winter's "irruption" from Scandinavia where the brutal winter has affected the Waxwings' staple food of berries.

Waxwings! Waxwin10
(stock photo from the internet)

I didn't even notice what was happening until two mounted police officers stopped to speak with the crowd of photographers. What was noticeable was the Waxwings' lack of fear about people getting very close to them. In their native habitat they rarely see people and so have not developed much fear.

I was really disappointed not to have my camera with me. But nevertheless it was a lovely sight to see.

Back to top Go down

Waxwings! Empty Re: Waxwings!

Post  Laikipia Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:16 am

Lucky you TT - we've heard so much about Waxwings being around this year, but we've not been lucky enough to see any. It must have been a wonderful sight to see and it just goes to show that you've always got to have your camera with you!!!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:15 pm

The weather is playing havoc with everything it seems,we have Fulmars back on the cliffs a full 6 weeks earlier than usual.Now I don't know if that means spring is coming early,or we might get a good summer.It could also mean that the weathers awfull where ever they usually are at this time of year.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:21 pm

This birdfeeder lark is getting very stressful.

We have a female Great Spotted Woodpecker around here we have called Wanda. Do you think I can catch her with the camera? Not a bit of it. As soon as I start to focus she's off again to the next tree. She is very quick and has a distinctive flight movement.

I do hope I can get her soon, her markings are stunning.

If you haven't seen a female great spotted woodpecker before, this is what they look like...

Waxwings! Fgsw10

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:40 pm

You'll get Wanda the woodpecker soon TT - we once had 3 visiting the feeders in the tree and our other feeder - it was chaos as they don't seem to tolerate each other. Normally it's one at a time and the little birds have to wait in line. They are beautiful, but greedy!!

Look forward to your photos - soon Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:40 pm

Milton Keynes isnt that far from me so I hope they fly over here so I can see one as they look so beautiful
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:47 pm

They were showing Waxwings coming in to Britain on Autumn Watch there were some fantastic photos sent in. Would have loved to have seen them. It took me about three weeks to gat a photo of our Greater Spotted Woodpecker TT. They are a affraid to get a shot of
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:35 pm

There is something quite regal about the waxwing isn't there, they are such stunning birds and you are so lucky to have seen them TT, shame you didn't have your camera with you but at least you did get to see them.

Hope you get your pic of Wanda soon too......I think it's great you have given her a name Very Happy I need to give my Pigeon a name, I just keep calling him Mate Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:32 pm

LWs Pigeon names:

Percy
Perriwinkle
Pepper
Pearl

or just plain FRED!

Wink

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Very Happy Thanks for those SM, I kind of like Percy but I will see what he answers or flies off too Hummingbird

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down