Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elephant Relocation

3 posters

Go down

Elephant Relocation Empty Elephant Relocation

Post  Doogs Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Some of you may already have clicked on this link that was in the middle of Lion Cub Rescue thread posted by Chui, but just incase you didn't :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041329/Kenyan-elephants-home-Maasai-Mara-reserve.html

Good on KWS for the relocation of the Elephant behind

Last edited by Doogs on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Elephant Relocation Empty Re: Elephant Relocation

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Its wonderful that KWS took the decision to relocate the elephants to the Mara. I always worry, by moving the ele's, will they know where they can find water, where the best grazing is at given points in the year. Are they splitting up families and there social ties? But in reading the article, that would be their normal route (Narok to Mara) if settlement hadn't got in the way?

Another question that always springs to mind when I read about relocation of animals because of human wildlife conflict, wouldn't a cheaper option be to install electric fences around villages and crops? Obviously that's assuming they have a generator or a means to generate electric.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm glad the elephants got relocated rather than shot as the villagers seemed pretty angry in that write up, which I suppose you can understand if you lived there. The poor eles though as it seems that their pathway was obstructed by the village. I suppose thats the trouble with humans taking up more space, it encroaches on the elephants natural pathway, so the same would possibly be with the use of electric fences, it would stop them gwtting to their natural feeding grounds.
It's always hard sharing space and not having any conflict, just glad these eles have been saved.
I do wonder if it does them any harm though being hung upside down by their ankles with all that weight on the joint, suppose they know what they are doing though.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:56 pm

LW - I know when they operate on horses that's exactly what they do to them as well - winch them up by all fours. I'm sure if they are asleep and their body is relaxed it is the safest way to move them.

I Agree with you both that electric fences or some sort of protection to the village would seem and easier & cheater solution to relocation but obviously it isn't as they must have looked into this scratch
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Strange you say that about the horses Doogs, as I was typing that post I thought of the horses and how they are winched up by their ankles and it made me think about their ankles being so slim compared to their bodies, but as you say, it must be the safest way to move large animals and it has been done many times.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum