Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Greys Cull

3 posters

Go down

Welsh Greys Cull Empty Welsh Greys Cull

Post  whitestarling Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:34 am

Welsh Greys Cull We264Welsh Greys Cull We1109

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Welsh Greys Cull Empty Re: Welsh Greys Cull

Post  Laikipia Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:37 pm

Controversial I know, but grey squirrels are not native to the UK. I am saying no more.

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/flora-and-fauna/red-squirrel-grey-squirrel/

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:56 pm

There are some really interesting comments on there thanks LP. I did'nt know for instance that at one time there was a bounty on shooting the Reds, and one group called the Squirrel Club boasted at having shot 80,000 Reds, also their habitat was destroyed in large areas when Britain was building wooden ships, which had a major impact on them. So the drop in numbers was not only down to the introduction of the Greys, it has just made it worse. Having said that the Red is native, and there is no doubt about the impact the Grey is having, so if we want to retain our native species something has to be done. We are also having the same problem with Mink, who are slowly killing off native species. It's pur fault they sre here not theirs, but if we are to save our native species, they are the ones that are going to have to pay the price, I'm afraid
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:42 am

It is contravertial Lai but again a species is going to suffer because of mans interferance. Although as WS points out the decline of the Red Squirrel is not solely down to the Grey Squirrel, so in my eyes it's being a tad persecuted.
I do believe we should try and protect our native species and I for one would hate to see te Reds disappear from our countryside, I think they are much nicer than the Grey's but that is my personal thought. Saying that the Greys we have at work are really quite sweet.
The Greys have now been here for 130 years so do they have some right of stay? Are they planning on eradicating all the Greys or just keeping the population down?
It is such a tough call, well it is in my head, I am definiately for the Reds as our native squirrel but again I always have trouble with just killing animals, I always wish there was another option.
Shame we can't just round them up and ship them back to America.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum