Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed - 3 Years On

3 posters

Go down

Pedigree Dogs Exposed - 3 Years On Empty Pedigree Dogs Exposed - 3 Years On

Post  Doogs Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:14 pm

"In 2008, Pedigree Dogs Exposed lifted the lid on the true extent of the health and welfare problems faced by pedigree dogs in the UK. The startling exposé of harmful breeding practices generated a massive reaction from the public and from those involved in dog breeding.

The programme's producer Jemima Harrison returns to explore what has happened since she made the original film. Now a campaigner on dog welfare, Jemima takes a personal look at the positive changes that have been introduced since the original film and investigates areas of continuing concern, particularly among breeds like the pug, the bulldog and the Cavalier King Charles spaniel.

Jemima hears from dog breeders and a range of experts, many of whom express grave worries about the future of some of our best-loved breeds. She asks whether, with so much that needs to be done to improve these dogs' health and welfare, now is the time to radically restructure how the world of pedigree dogs is run and regulated".

Watched this on BBC4 the other night and it was particularly shocking to me because my beloved Boxers are significant in the programme - there is a genuine worry for the Boxer Breed in the UK with the two biggest breeders 'in-breeding' to the detriment of their dogs with many getting Juvenile Kidney Disease (JKD).

Here's the link to the iPlayer if anyone wants to watch it and comment, would be interested to hear what others think (it's not all about Boxers).

Hope this programme may be shown one day on either BBC 1 or BBC 2 so more people can see what's going on Crying or Very sad Mad Sad Evil or Very Mad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01cqp75/Pedigree_Dogs_Exposed_Three_Years_On/
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Pedigree Dogs Exposed - 3 Years On Empty Re: Pedigree Dogs Exposed - 3 Years On

Post  whitestarling Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm

Unfortunately my connections to slow to use BBCi Player, but I've seen, and read a bit on this, and saw the original programe, and I think there's a lot to worry about. I read in the paper the other day, one expert said there should be a ban on breeding Pugs, and Bulldogs because their breathing problems were so bad. I suppose as usual a lot of it is down to greed.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Missed it Doogs. Will try to catch up over the weekend.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:10 pm

I Agree WS - greed has an awful lot to do with it Crying or Very sad Sad

If you get the chance Lai, it is worth watching
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down