Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lioness is being STARVED

+4
Doogs
RMorr50912
Laikipia
whitestarling
8 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Lioness is being STARVED - Page 2 Empty Re: Lioness is being STARVED

Post  RAWA Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:01 am

There are other Lions in danger as well. One male lion at the Kafr El-shaikh Zoo has very bad scarring on his face, likely from constant beatings with a metal rod. There are also two young lion cubs at the same zoo as the malnourished Lioness. No

RAWA

Back to top Go down

Post  RAWA Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:46 am

I compiled a list of US Medial Outlets and a few Animal Welfare Organizations on my blog but unfortunately I cannot post the link. Is there an animal sanctuary we can co-ordinate efforts with in the hopes the Egyptian authorities release the animals to sanctuary?

RAWA

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:37 am

Hi RAWA
Welcome to WAA. We have seen the news about how the other Animals in Egypts Zoos are also being maltreated, I also read this morning whre some of the Zoos have actualy put stuffed dead animals in with live ones to make it look lke they have more. At the moment none of the major Animal Welfare Organisations seem to want to take a lead on this, and I think the only way forward st the moment is to create media pressure. So your lists would be most welcome, as I said in my welcome email to you, new members are unable to post links for 7 Days, but if you email your link to me I will make sure the lists are copied onto the Forum
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:37 pm

You would think if the zoos have to resort to having stuffed animals in the cage that should highlight they should close! Head Banger Head Banger Head Banger

It is back to profit over welfare, but how they can make a profit under these conditions also baffles me!! agh!

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Sorry guy's but I put in lets chat why I wasn't on here yesterday and hence couldn't email anyone, feel a bit silly now I know why the pc wasn't working.

Anyway loads has gone on in this post and emails have gone to various organisations, I said earlier about a media hit and I still support that. I will catch up with WS later this evening and try and sort a strategic plan of action so we are not all hitting the same people.

In the meantime to everyone who has emailed people and added links etc, thank you so much. I have said this many times before that it's all the little bits that we can do that make up the big bits and hopefully somewhere along the line, makes a change and a difference.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Good idea for you and WS to have a chat and make a plan, no pressure but I agree a hard hit is a good idea, and via the media. If they run with the story and it gets the nation going then we are united and stand a better chance. Not trying to opt out here but a good strategy is needed!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Glad you agree Lai but if anyone has any ideas, contacts, comments etc please do post them. This needs to be a strategic and sound hit to the press for them to consider taking it on. I understand that Ronnie has also been working hard on this so I need to get up to speed where he and WS are at and if Ronnie has any plans from his end.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Let me know when you have your strategy in place and I can send some emails if you like.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:27 pm

SM we surley will let you know, it could be all hands on deck with this so thanks a lot cheers

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RAWA Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:26 pm

There is also a Tiger who is also very underweight in one of the Zoos. Are these animals not protected under endangered species acts? Does anyone know?

I will email the list of US media contacts I compiled.

RAWA

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:37 pm

No problem LW !

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:04 pm

HI RAWA
I have just been checking out endangered species and this is a list of Earths Endangered Species, sadly I cannot see the Lion on the list, but the Tiger is. Heres a link to the list.
http://earthsendangered.com/list.asp
Look forward to the list of US Media contacts.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Will there be a standard text for the email?

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  RAWA Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:25 pm

littlewid wrote:HI RAWA
I have just been checking out endangered species and this is a list of Earths Endangered Species, sadly I cannot see the Lion on the list, but the Tiger is. Heres a link to the list.

Look forward to the list of US Media contacts.

littlewid-x-

Thank you for this.

Also as part of any plan we should have a sanctuary on stand by somewhere to take the animals?

RAWA

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Thanks Rawa for emailing the list at least it gives us something to aim our comments at. We could have a prepared email SM, perhaps you could put something together but I think it would be better if people varied it a bit otherwise it would become like a lot of petition stuff, we need to make this different so that who ever its sent to knows how people feel personaly about this sublect.
RAWA's Media List
List of Media and Animal Welfare Organizations To Contact Regarding Animal Abuse in Egypt’s Zoos

Please sign the petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/786/840/821/rescue-animals-in-eygpt-zoos/?cid=FB_Share

And like the page to help spread awareness to what is happening to the animals in Egypt’s Zoos: https://www.facebook.com/RescueAnimalsInEgyptZoos

List Of Egyptian Embassies to contact: http://embassy.goabroad.com/embassies-of/Egypt

USA TODAY: editor@usatoday.com.

NEW YORK TIMES: letters@nytimes.com

LA TIMES: letters@latimes.com

Washington Post: postnow@washpost.com

Chicago Tribune: pcallahan@tribune.com

Houston Chronicle: viewpoints@chron.com

Boston Globe: baron@globe.com

Huffington Post: scoop@huffingtonpost.com

Detroit Free Press: letters@freepress.com

San Francisco Chronicle: metro@sfchronicle.com

Fox News: foxnewstips@foxnews.com

CNN: cnnstoryideas@cnn.com

Animal Welfare Organizations:

Society for Protection of Animal Rights in Egypt: info@sparelives.org

PETA: http://www.peta.org/about/contact-peta/report-cruelty.aspx

Tiger Haven: IndiaB@tigerhaven.org

Born Free: info@bornfree.org.uk

WSPA: wspa@wspa.org.au

Humane Society International: http://www.hsi.org/forms/contact.html

ESMA: mona@esmaegypt.org

Animal Aid Egypt: AnimalAidEgypt@hotmail.com

CITES:

WS
Statistic. This thread has been viewed 256 times in 4 Days
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:11 am

WOW! Great work everyone! All the contact info, I was going to say at least there was a petition going but beat me to it! It also sounds like from some of the FB groups there will be an organized effort to bombard Egyptian Authorities all at once, and about all the zoos. A report I've seen was that the lioness is no longer visible. I fear she has either passed away or her death is iminent and they don't want any more publicity. IF just one animal can be rescued from this system she will not have suffered in vain. Thanks RAWA and everyone for all the effort put in! We have to make something happen! This just can't be allowed to go on any longer.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:40 am

Thanks everyone. Petition signed and shared and FB page. As you say Ronnie if it is too late for that poor lioness maybe we can help some of the other animals in those atrocious conditions.

I'll start on Monday - have you decided who we should write to WS and Littlewid? I know the Daily Mail got behind the Anne the ele campaign.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RAWA Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:01 am

Picture of a camel with a collapsed hump. I have never seen this before and these are desert animals. Lioness is being STARVED - Page 2 555067_348521698557918_930739729_n (Kafr el-Shaikh zoo)

RAWA

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 am

Egypt's zoos - hell holes for animals

http://www.occupyforanimals.org/egypts-zoos--hell-holes-for-animals.html

Be warned distressing photos.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:41 pm

I have signed the petition, and included this message.
The World is watching how Egpyt treats the Animals in its Zoos. They have already suffered through Human conflict through no fault of their own. They are captive Animals again not by choice, and through no fault of their own. Apparently help has been offered to save the Lioness in Alexzandria Zoo but been turned down to save face. This Lioness, should have been living safely in a Pride of her own, not subjected to this abuse, and maltreatment because of Human Pride. Please help to save the rest of the Animals in Egypts Zoos

I have also shared it on WAA's FB Page, and on my own. At last momentum seems to be gathering to help these poor Animals lets all hope it works.

I think as Lai said for UK Papers we should first choose the Daily Mail, they do have a good record on this sort of thing, as was done in helping Anne the Elephant. I will leave it to Ronnie to choose which USA paper to choose, as he's better placed to make the decision.
Please send your emails to Daily Mail email link news@dailymail.co.uk.
It would have more effect if you sent them in your own words. What we want to ask them to do is run the story highlighting the plight, and conditions these Animlas are being kept in.

Another link to post to Mohammed-Morsi President of Egypts FB Page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mohammed-Morsi/430464340331384
I have put most of the links, including the petition, media, and Lai's Egypt's Shame on the first page of this thread to try to pull all the strands togther, so that they are all in the same place for visitors to see in one go. Any other suggestions please let me know

WS

whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RAWA Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:26 am

I am going to begin to compile mailing addresses for a few animal welfare organizations and sanctuaries. Thoughtfully written letters sent by post should have an impact...

RAWA

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:18 am

Thanks for that WS. I am going to put something together for the Daily Mail today, or at latest Wednesday as I'm off to Cambridge this afternoon.

Good idea Rawa - the more we can highlight the plight of these animals the better.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:00 am

http://egyptunbound.blogspot.co.uk/

A couple of useful links, and another petition

http://www.change.org/petitions/egypt-close-down-all-7-governmental-zoos-that-are-nothing-less-than-hell-holes

I also found this statement via FB

‎22 July 2012 - PLEASE SHARE - The lioness died – below is what Dr. Iman Mokhamer, manager of Alex Zoo wrote on fb group of the General Organization of Veterinary Services
https://www.facebook.com/​groups/GOVSEGYPT/
…… as I am frustrated I need someone to try and translate what she wrote…..my quick translation: Dr. Iman Mokhamer wrote: Beginning I would like to wish all colleagues of GOVS a Happy Ramadan, specially the Chairperson of GOVS Military General and Doctor Osama Selim. I would like to clarify, in regard to the picture about the lioness inn Alex Zoo; and the brutal campaign we have been subject to, that this picture was taken to the sick lioness and was used to scandalize the zoo, this was a sick case, took its time in treatment by zoo vets, and it died, and pathology was made and this is being recorded in zoo official records. About people who took advantage of photographing her whilst we took her to the outside exhibit to enjoy some sunshine, and took pictures….. these people are not following animal welfare, they have no mercy, and they are not following honesty, they should not have taken pictures of her….. I was surprised last Friday, a lady vet accompanied by her colleague came to Alex zoo, paid tickets, as if they were vets, when asked about their identity they said they are from South Africa, they said they came to help, and they found nothing, and they thanked us for the good conditions and health of big cats ..they praised us for good care and information, they praised the keepers, we exchanged information, and I discovered we zoo vets have enough and necessary information to make our superiors proud of us. While I was in my daily tour in the zoo, I met also some animal lovers, I left them to take pictures…. I ask you all for the sake of Ramadan Holy month, to be honest, and not to lie, we work in silence under direct supervision of General Organization of Veterinary Services, and Central Zoos Director… Committees inspecting were sent to investigate, and reports are sent in time, please do not pick up on mistakes, have mercy… we the vets face many challenges each day, we are in daily contact with animals, instead of criticizing, encourage us.

I am speechless.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Minty Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:32 am

Disgraceful, the animals need help.

Signed and I'll share it on fb

TTM x
Minty
Minty

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:09 pm

I think the Mail/Mail on Sunday is def a good one to start with, just found this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2176957/The-agonising-blows-expose-evil-secrets-Thailands-elephant-tourism-The-Duchess-Cornwalls-brother-tells-baby-elephants-brutally-starved-tortured.html

it is another truly disgusting story but they've got behind it so maybe something can be done.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next