Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Otters in Cheshire

5 posters

Go down

Otters in Cheshire Empty Otters in Cheshire

Post  whitestarling Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:00 am

Otters return to the rivers of Cheshire. Cheshire Wildlife Trust is cautiously welcoming the return of otter populations to the region. Thanks in part to the conservation work undertaken by the Trust, otters are gradually appearing more frequently throughout Cheshire’s waterways.

Evidence of the shy and endearing Eurasian Otter is now being found in areas where their presence has not been recorded for many years. Evidence is particularly strong along the main river catchments in Cheshire and Wirral, with the River Weaver around Nantwich, the River Gowy and the River Dee particularly active otter areas.

Since 1994, much conservation effort in Cheshire has been directed at restoring otter populations. Between 1994 and 2001, as part of the Cheshire Wildlife Trust’s Otters and Rivers Project, extensive otter survey work was carried out as well the building of artificial otter holts at a number of sites along Cheshire’s waterways.

Eurasian otter fast facts.
At over one metre in length and about 10kg in weight, the otter is Britain’s largest carnivore.
With webbed feet, rudder-like tail and dense, water-resistant pelt, the otter is well equipped for swimming and hunting in water.
It feeds mainly on fish, requiring about 1kg of food a day.
The Trust are about to embark upon an innovative project to monitor otter activity using remote-controlled, infra-red video cameras, which will be installed on secure sites where recent signs of otters have been found. The project will also help to raise awareness of the otter, which is native to the UK and where it is afforded complete statutory protection due to its scarce status. Given the extremely secretive nature of otters, video footage obtained by the project will offer many more people the chance to see Cheshire otters up close and potentially online.

Angie Gooderham, Cheshire Wildlife Trust’s Acting Head of Conservation, comments, “It is vital that we continue to improve conditions for otters over the coming years, particularly if we want to see healthy breeding populations locally. The gradual return of the Otter shows us that with careful planning and an environmental commitment we can turn around the fortunes of our wildlife.”

If you would like to get involved in otter conservation work in Cheshire or Wirral please contact Cheshire Wildlife Trust on 01948 820728.

Courtesy of the Cheshire Wildlife Trust.
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Otters in Cheshire Empty Re: Otters in Cheshire

Post  Laikipia Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:56 am

Otters in Cheshire 768480 WS - we belong to Cheshire WT so will be interested in this. I will give them a call/email.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:02 am

Your welcome. I thought you'd mentioned CWT, and Otters on another thread, but I was'nt sure. I do'nt know how upto date the report is. I found it on the same site as the Gorillas, and thought it would interest you
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:11 pm

That really is good news and how lovely that you re right there Lai and can possible get involved. I love Otters and really enjoyed watching them in Spring watch, I think it ws Charlie Hamilton James tht reported on them.

They have Otters at the WWT in Sunderland or the one up that way, my bro-in-Law has some pictures of them, I will have to see if he can email me the pictures and I will post them.

Do let us know if you are ble to get involved/support them Li and thanks for the info WS Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Will do - we're going to a Cheshire WWT event in September with SK speaking and hopefully a walk in Delamere Forest with them also in September so plenty of time to find out about the otters Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:01 am

Brilliant news! I must admit I love otters, though have never seen one in its natural habitat. Maybe one day I will if conservation groups continue their good works.

SM

Last edited by Safari Maiden on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Missed this thread when it was first posted Embarassed

Excellent news, the more otters the better and well done to the Cheshire Wildlife Trust cheers Would be great if you could get involved Lai Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down