Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Practice Makes Perfect

+3
whitestarling
Laikipia
littlewid
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Practice Makes Perfect Empty Practice Makes Perfect

Post  littlewid Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Today I went to Highdown gardens to try a few practice shots and seriously I am only going to post a few. The ones I am posting here are on manual focus. I thought the best way to learn it was to forget I had auto, in my head it didn't exist, so this is how I got on with the best of the bunch.
Although the edges of the flower are a bit ragedy I wanted to capture the flower with the green bug visible.Practice Makes Perfect Kian_212
Not sure if this works for all of you as I think it has for me, I wanted the stem at the front to be there with the one behind slightly blured with the blured flower going through the middle, it kind of makes it 3D if thats right? I also wanted to capture the Bee on the plant and I wanted them in focus so your eye goes to them but then you see the 3D effect of the stems. That may not work for you and if you have any tips I would love to hear them.
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_213
nothing clever about this shot, it was me lying on my back aiming at the sky up through the trees
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_214
Same with this one
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_215
This one actually didn't work well at all, I was trying to take the picture through these flowers and it is a bit of a DIS-AS-TER but live and learn Very Happy Practice Makes Perfect Kian_216
I am not sure what plant this is but the fruit looks really tempting, not that I tried it. The young gardner pointed it out to me and he let me carefully tread across the borders to get it.......I think someone thought I was a keen photographer bounce Practice Makes Perfect Kian_217
Then when I got home I thought I would try a few snaps of the animals, so heres a few of Splodge
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_218

Practice Makes Perfect Kian_219

Again I tried lying on the floor for this one
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_220
And I couldn't leave out my Black Feather Duster
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_221
Sorry that was more than a few Very Happy
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Practice Makes Perfect Empty Re: Practice Makes Perfect

Post  Laikipia Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Practice Makes Perfect 768480 Practice Makes Perfect 71418 Littlewid. Lovely to see today's photos. You get such a good perspective being at the same level as Splodge and Nero. The eyes are always the most important feature to me, to get them in focus pin sharp is wonderful.

I love your flower shots, the colours are really vibrant. Manual is hard but good to get used to, it makes you think and obviously you're having a great time and getting to grips with your camera.

The lying on your back shots may not be clever (your words not mine Very Happy ) but they give you an idea and I think it's fun to try.

Sometimes getting the background in focus at the foreground blurred doesn't work - you just have to experiment.

With a lot of photos you don't want distracting by the background so to focus on the object in the foreground is what you want to achieve.

Thanks for sharing Littlewid, I really enjoyed those, my favourite is photo 3 of Splodge - one cool handsome cat.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Practice Makes Perfect 768480 Love the shots looking up through the trees LW, and the Splodge & Nero pics are brilliant. I dont know what the fruit is either, but there's one of the berries, a red/pink one in the middle that looks like a Pigs face Practice Makes Perfect 40683 Hope you do'nt mind I cut that part out and enhanced it to show what I mean
Practice Makes Perfect 120
Mrs S thinks Splode looks gorgous, and the photos could win a prize.

It is good to try manual, great when you are composing shots, but one thing I always do when I've finished shooting is to reset to Auto, the reason is sometime later, or when you next go out, and your cameras with you something unexpected can happen, and you need a quick shot, there's not time to think of settings, but if your default setting is Auto your virtualy sure to to get a shot. So the last thing I do before putting my camera away is set it to Auto.

WS

Last edited by whitestarling on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks Lai and WS, glad you liked the shots from today, slowly I am learning different things and all your advice and honest comments are greatfully received Very Happy so never be affraid to be honest, it helps me learn.

I did take some pictures of Tiga this afternoon on the sport mode, so I could take a few action shots but dumbo here forgot to change the shutter speed so they came out blury and not worth posting......a good lesson learnt there I think Embarassed

Oops I forgot about the pig WS, I looked and could see a few that may be a pig but the ones you have posted were the first two I saw and they do look like little pigs dont they Very Happy and no I surely dont mind you cropping and posting them at all Very Happy

Oops again Embarassed please thank Mrs S for her lovely comment about Splodge Group Hug

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Now these are rubbish shots......not too shy about being honest Very Happy . It was pouring with rain so couldn't go out and get some shots of the roses so I decided to try getting some from my bedroom window, so these are through glass and tried to block out the rain and there was no sunshine what so ever, so rather dull pics and the pics are blurred, so the focus was all wrong, but with a bit more (lots more Very Happy ) practice, the sunshine and the right focus they could have been not too bad........but I am trying.......WS would add "very" to that lol!

Practice Makes Perfect Kian_232

Practice Makes Perfect Kian_233
The rest were worse than these, so these are the best of the naff bunch......next ones will be better Wink
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Practice Makes Perfect 40683 WS I Agree it does look like a pigs face, that's so funny!

Don't worry Littlewid, taking through glass can be tricky, dull days are more so and just practising is an ideal way to learn.

I'm not sure what setting you were using, do you adjust your ISO and White balance? Or do you leave them on auto?

The first photo is beautiful despite what you say, it's a lovely looking rose with the water droplets on it.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:13 pm

I actualy think that first photo has a nice soft focus to it, and that can be really attractive, but never give up on a photo a few tweeks with a photo editor can work wonders
Practice Makes Perfect Lw10

Hope you dont mind just shpwong what can be done
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Lai the first pictures were ISO 400, I haven't learnt about white balance yet Embarassed

WS thats fantastic what an editor can do cheers it does look much better.....I need to learn to edit but I also need to get good pics as well Very Happy thanks for tweeking that one.

I have just taken Nero for a walk and as it has stopped raining I went and took one from outside but I was so excited to get this little wasp in the middle of the rose I have forgotten what I fiddled with Embarassed but it is a much better picture I think this time......honest opinion please Very Happy
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_234
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:19 pm

I think 400 ISO would have been fine for a rainy day Littlewid.

WB is something you can get onto later. My only advice is not to use Auto. Try all the settings you have on your camera. Not sure what your options are but possibly, daylight, shady, cloudy, flash, tunsten, etc. Try taking the same photo on each setting and see the difference, it's an interesting exercise.

Some useful links.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/white_balance/white_balance.do

I am told using the Kelvin scale is what we should be doing - haven't tackled this yet.

http://digital-photography-school.com/creating-moods-with-the-kelvin-scale

I love your latest photo - the main rose is in focus and you can see the petals with the water droplets clearly, the little wasp is a perfect addition.

Really enjoying your photos Littlewid, please keep sharing.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:00 am

Practice Makes Perfect 768480 That shots lovely LW, nicely composed, it leads you straight into the centre with the wasp, and the water droplet just about to drop at the side of it. I also would'nt worry about WB yet, just get used to your camera, and as Lai say's it's a good idea to try the same shots with different settings on your camera, that way you get to know what settings to use to get the best results in the same conditions.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks Lai for the links cheers they will be really helpful.

I forgot my neighbour was a professional camerman before he diverted his career, he didn't really do stills but camera work but he has also been really helpful this evening and funnily he told me all about the Kelvin scale and it made sense......not that I have given it a full work out yet, but when he mentioned it at least I could say, I have heard of that, it's all about colour temperature, inside and outside. We talked loads about different settings, shutter speeds and all sorts of things. He has lent me a book on the Canon Powershot G10, very similar to my camera but it does explain all the different settings and how best to use your camera, it's a Magic Lantern Guide and I can hopefully get one for my camera but at having a quick look through it, it does explain what I need to know and it's easy to understand.
I am so hooked on learning and find it all quite fascinating and exciting.

I decided to try and take some more pictures of the roses this evening, still had some naff ones but a couple that were not too bad.
I liked this one as it's kind of soft looking and the roses don't have hard edges to them and also the colour is darker right into the roses and you can see the stamen right in the back of the flower plus I love the roses with the pinky edges at the bottom
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_235
This one just looked very soft to me and captured the true colour of this rosePractice Makes Perfect Kian_236
This is the same rose with another leaf brought to the front and I also put the flash on to illuminate the centre of the rose a little bit and also the leafPractice Makes Perfect Kian_237
This is a really pretty rose in my neighbours garden and I used a different shutter speed for this one and it's come out quite sharp but not lost the prettynessPractice Makes Perfect Kian_238

I think these are slightly better than yesterday......fingers crossed Very Happy
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Practice Makes Perfect 768480 Cracking photos LW. The soft looking shots really suit the Roses, and a lot better than yesterday, its good to try flash assisted shots, as It gives you experience, of what happens when you do use it. Lucky having somone next door who has the knowledge, at least you can get advice when you need it.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:38 am

Practice Makes Perfect 71418 Practice Makes Perfect 768480 Littlewid - beautiful photos of beautiful roses. You've definitely got the idea there. So pleased your neighbour can give some advice. If you can get a book it will help, the manuals are never enough.

Some lovely photos Littlewid - you could try the roses on aperture and focus on the rose, the leaves would then be more blurred, sometimes an interesting idea. Also it doesn't distract you from the main subject of the photo if the flower is what you want to see.

Not sure that made sense scratch

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:05 am

Well Done LW you are really getting to grips with your camera! Look forward to seeing more, no pressure. Wink Wink

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Lai your last post did make sense and I will surely give that a go. Glad you and WS could see an improvement in the pictures Very Happy
Ooo SM asking for more pics is a bit dodgy with me.....I take loads and have to stop myself posting them on here for fear I will bore you all to death.

I did go and watch Kian in his first football match today and I thought I would practice my action shots but I got so involved in the game I didn't really take any pictures, I have three that I can post.
First action shot that didn't blur, Kian getting up from a tackle
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_239
This is not an action shot, I just love it because he had no idea I was taking his photo
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_240
This made me smile too, it's the look of disapointment when the other team score
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_241
But the good thing is...... Worthing Minors Won 10 - 3 cheers
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:39 pm

cheers Some of the best shots you can get is when people are not aware your taking a photograph. I have to say that my favourite is the first one, that look on Kians face says to me, I'm going to have you. Practice Makes Perfect 40683 he proberbly did'nt but thats what the look says. Well done for the team win
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Now it looks like I've been missing out on an awful lot on this thread Embarassed You certainly don't take long to get the hang of a camera do you LW ?? !!!

Your flower shots are stunning, so clear and beautiful, bright, colours Very Happy

The shots of Splodge and Nero are so lovely I love you Loved the one you took of Splodge whilst you were lying on the floor Cool

Your action shots of Kian capture the moment just perfectly. Even though they won 10-3 yes you can still see the look of disgust on his face at the opposition scoring, bless him Like a Star @ heaven

Keep up the good work with the camera LW cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:26 am

Practice Makes Perfect 768480 Littlewid - three lovely photos, and as WS says, always better for natural shots when people don't know you are taking a photo.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:15 am

I have to confess to not being a massive garden fan (that coming from the boy from the garden state Shocked Razz ), but like the pics LW, especially the bee and those of Splodge. What piercing eyes!

LW; the modern day Michaelangelo of photography Practice Makes Perfect 40683
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Glad you like the pics GR Very Happy it's a new camera to me so I still have a lot of learning to do with it and I must admit for a few weeks it has been dormant, which is not good but now as its getting rather frosty round here I am sure it will be out again......sometimes there just isn't enough hours in the day to practice being the next Michaelangelo No No No

Splodge does have rather gorgeous eyes but then I am biased as she is mine Ginger Cat

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Oooooooooooooooh yes please Littlewid. Time to get your camera out again and more pics of the furries as well please Laughing

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:17 pm

I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Sounds like someone is getting a hurry up Razz

Come on! Chop chop! Hop to it! Very Happy

And I think I hear a chant.

Practice Makes Perfect 853843 Furries! Furries! Furries! Practice Makes Perfect 853843
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 am

OK, I have some more pictures of the Furries. I have taken them over the last few weeks after not having my camera out much what with work, the weather and a few other things but here is the best of the bunch although it's not a very good bunch, but here goes.
A Mug shot of my handsome boy
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_310
Two Doe eyed beauties
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_311
From this morning....Why aren't you at work Mum?
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_410
You're disturbing me!!!!
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_411
Take my best side Mum!
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_312
I wasn't doing anything.....Honest!
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_412
Just call me Cute I love you
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_313

Practice Makes Perfect Kian_314
Mum said I always have a glint in my eye Laughing
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_315
Nope i'm not looking, i'm gonna hide in the back of this chair so you can hardly see me......stop looking!
Practice Makes Perfect Kian_316
Not brilliant but they are all there and all happy and healthy Very Happy
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Practice Makes Perfect 768480 They are lovely Littlewid, and such a handsome/beautiful selection of furries, and your niece is going to be a real stunner when she's older (she's so pretty now, sorry I can't remember how old she is?)

I have to confess that Nero is and will always be my favourite (not to be repeated as all your furries are gorgeous) but he is such a Like a Star @ heaven

Thanks for sharing.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next