Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hippo that held up the traffic

5 posters

Go down

The Hippo that held up the traffic Empty The Hippo that held up the traffic

Post  Laikipia Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:57 am

The hippo that held up the traffic: Huge creature halts wildebeest migration after stopping in middle of river

Amazing story and stunning photos.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218105/When-unstoppable-force-meets-immovable-object--The-moment-thousands-migrating-Kenyan-wildebeest-come-halt-thanks-angry-hippo.html#ixzz29RZkwO6J

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

The Hippo that held up the traffic Empty Re: The Hippo that held up the traffic

Post  Doogs Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:23 pm

The Hippo that held up the traffic 40683 what an amazing story - grumpy hippo ??

Loved that 4th picture of the Wildie mid-leap, stunning Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:17 pm

The Hippo that held up the traffic 768480 Thanks Lai, that put a great big Very Happy on my face. Brilliant story and photos. Must have been fantastic to see and I really love photos of Wildies crossing, they always look like etchings, or charcole drawings
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:51 pm

WOW WOW WOW what stunning pictures, that really was an unusual spectacle. The Hippo is magnificent but the pictures are so like charcoal drawing as you say WS, just brilliant, how lucky was that photographer.

An amazing story Lai, thanks a lot for posting that, loved it cheers

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:56 am

I must admit the photos really were superb, such clarity you really felt like you were there watching the action.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris-AWD Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:45 pm

In Africa nobody messes with a hippo.

A hippo bull may hold his territory for as long as 12 years.

In the water their main natural enemies are crocodiles. In a fight a crocodile stand no chance against an adult hippo.

The quality of the images is stunning - thanks for posting Lai
Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

http://www.africa-wildlife-detective.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Welcome to the Forum Chris-AWD - hope you will find the time to join us on some other threads.

I've to Africa a few times but didn't know that about the Hippo, thanks. A fight between a hippo and a croc must be some sight affraid

Doogs cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi Chris
Glad you popped in, it was a great link by Lai, and we get quite a few like this from other members. Your right about the Hippo, they are not to be messed with, they kill more Humans than anyother Animals in Africa.
Please pop back anytime, it would be great to hear more from you
WS
( Whitestarling )
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi Chris-AWD

Thanks from me too for the info, I didn't realise a Male Hippo could hold his territory for as long as 12 years, thats quite a time isn't it.

Those pictures were pretty stunning weren't they, it was a great find by Lai..

Loving your avatar picture Very Happy Hope to catch you on here again.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Hippo that held up the traffic Empty Human fatalities regarding hippos

Post  Chris-AWD Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:41 am

whitestarling wrote:Hi Chris
Your right about the Hippo, they are not to be messed with, they kill more Humans than anyother Animals in Africa.
( Whitestarling )
That is quite right - One thing one should remember when encountering a hippo is that unlike most land animals that usually have many escape routes, hippos have a relatively small area to escape to into their "water homes".
If they feel threatened they charge back to the safety of water and trample anything that comes in its way.
The golden rule is therefore never to get between a hippo and the water.

See more at Hippo facts.
Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris-AWD Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:51 am

littlewid wrote:Hi Chris-AWD

Loving your avatar picture Very Happy Hope to catch you on here again.

littlewid-x-

The avatar is a play on Wildlife Detective which is a site I started at Africa Wildlife Detective

I have not worked on the site for the last two years - probably time to revive it.

I would welcome any ideas form the forum members about what they would like to see there.

Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks Chris-AWD will check it out later.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi Chris

Now I know what the AWD stands for. Just had a quick check of your site and it looks good to me. A completely different site to this one but one I think some of the members on here would be interested in.

We are not a site for members to advertise on but I do think the sites are in different areas although sharing an interest and passion in African Wildlife. I am sure WS will be happy to leave the link to your site on here, I have no objections to it staying here but I hope you will continue to be an active member on here as it sounds as though you have a lot of knowledge to share.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:18 pm

No I have no objection to links. As LW says as long as the person advertising the link is an active member on the Forum who does post on here as well. The sites do not conflict, and you have some great information on there Chris which I'm sure members, and visitors here will love to read about, and I'm sure some of our members can add to as they are exprienced Safari trippers. I've only managed to have a quick look at your site as I work weekends. So just a very quick thought, how about a simple, question and answer feature ?. We also have a Safari section where people can ask questions about going on Safari, and where members share their own experiences of their Safaris, so you might get some ideas from there.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris-AWD Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:39 pm

littlewid wrote:Hi Chris
We are not a site for members to advertise on but I do think the sites are in different areas although sharing an interest and passion in African Wildlife. -
I hope you will continue to be an active member on here as it sounds as though you have a lot of knowledge to share.
littlewid-x-
Hi LW - I get the idea that I should probably not have posted that link. Please note that my site is not monetized i.e. I do not pursue any financial gain. Simply a labor of love.
I will make it a point to visit periodically and share what I know.

Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris-AWD Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:52 pm

whitestarling wrote:No I have no objection to links. As LW says as long as the person advertising the link is an active member on the Forum who does post on here as well.
WS
Hi WS.
I would rather not post links again till I have gained your trust. Sorry if I broke some forum rules.

Regarding the Q&A idea of yours - I have been thinking of getting a few African Wildlife experts involved to answer specific questions in their respective fields. Many of them are very bright and very qualified but not very comfortable with the internet so I am not sure if it will work.
Thanks for the advice.

Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi Chris

The advertising rule is there so that we do not get in to trouble with the site owners and as this is an open forum we have to be sure that all links are suitable for children, I am sure you understand that and how the internet can go astray sometimes.
We obviously also want to make sure that a link posted is not in conflict with this site.

We have no problem with your link or your site, in fact I think the two sites compliment each other.
With regards to posting on here, it is just nice if rather than just leave a link to a personal site, it would be appreciated if the person in question also gets involved on this forum as well. You will obviously pick up traffic from this site which is nice for you so the odd post from you would be nice, thats all WS and I were meaning.

I like the idea of the African experts getting involved, it's a shame some of them are computor shy but then again, look at Jackson from the Mara, he has mastered the internet and has a flourishing blog, hopefully you will be able to pursuade them to get involved.

I hope you feel a little more comfortable with being here Chris, we are pleased you joined and look forward to reading more info about the African wildlife.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Chris I echo LW's comments above. We dont have a problem with links that are relative to wildlife, as you will see from the number of links you will see on the Forum to different Blogs, and sites we have put on here, but we have had problems in the past with people coming on, and leaving a link, and thats it, as Littlewid said.
If someone comes on, and asks a question we dont know the answer to then I would have no hesitation in refering them to your site, as LW says I also think the sites compliment each other, so there's no problem there.

Good idea to try to get some experts involved in answering the questions, especialy if you know some who are not that well known, because they prefer it that way. As I said, I've only had time to have a brief look at your site with working, and will have more time in the week. Clearly a Web based site, and a Forum are different in how they work, when I said about a simple question, and answer section. I was thinking with my Forum hat on, as on here if someone has a question they just pop it in the relavent wildlife section, and one of us will pick it up, but with Web based they have to contact it, to do the same thing.
So dont worry you have'nt broken any rules, it's us being carefull, and I hope that makes you feel better about joining in with us.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down