Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenyan Elephant Slaughter

5 posters

Go down

Kenyan Elephant Slaughter Empty Kenyan Elephant Slaughter

Post  whitestarling Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:25 am

Family of 11 elephants slaughtered by poachers in biggest mass shooting of the animals Kenya has ever seenFamily of elephants killed and tusks hacked off in Tsavo East National Park
Kenya Wildlife Service has said a hunt is underway for gang of ten poachers
The killings is the biggest mass shooting of the animals seen in Kenya
Wildlife officials blame ivory trade, which has seen recent resurgenceRead more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2258596/Elephant-poaching-Africa-11-animals-slaughtered-Kenya.html#ixzz2HTbtoTd9

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Kenyan Elephant Slaughter Empty Re: Kenyan Elephant Slaughter

Post  Doogs Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Oh my where do you start with this but Sad Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad An entire family of 11 eles, that is just so heartbreaking. If they were shot I can only hope they all died instantly and not of a slow, painful death which can occur if they are speared. I sincerely hope KWS manages to track down this evil team and deals with them accordingly.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Sorry WS, I read your header to the article but could not bring myself to read it incase there were pictures, knowing about it is bad enough, I could not face seeing a family of 11 eles dead, my heart bumped reading the paragraph you posted.
It is a disgusting thing to do and my head is spinning with madness about it and for once I truely hope the KWS are going to be true to their word and find these evil people and make them pay but whatever their punishment it is not going to bring back this magestic family, they are gone for good and for such a greedy reason. When will all this vile madness stop.

Rest In Peace Ele Family, you did not deserve this and my heart cries for you all Sad

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 pm

The latest news is that it's 12 Elephants that have been killed including a Calf that died alongside ite Mother Mad Mad Mad and the !!!!!!!!! ( unprintable ) Poachers have got away, after they were tracked 10 Miles on foot.
ITV News plus Video clip. WARNING The Video contains upsetting images
http://www.itv.com/news/2013-01-09/kenyas-elephants-slaughtered-in-new-poaching-frenzy/

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 pm

That news just gets worse WS. How can you track them for 10 miles and then loose them Mad Mad Mad Mad surely they have got to go to the ends of the earth to get these people, they have got to pay and a message has got to be sent out that this will not be tolerated 12 Elephants in one go is massive. A harmelss herd of fmily elephants descimated for greed, its so unbearable to think about, like loads of others, my heart is very heavy tonight but my head is raging with anger. Again I wont watch the link WS, I have a big enough nightmare in my head already for this poor family.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 pm

What I was glad to see about this horrific incident is that it was the headline story on the national news (ITV) at 6.30pm yesterday. Hopefully this will make more people aware of the problems of poaching out there and encourge more people to do something about it. Am I right in saying this is where Kate & Wills went for their honeymoon ? Here's hoping that these very high profile people could get involved in a positive manner.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 pm

William & Kate went to the Sechelles on Honymoon, but he proposed to Kate at the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy when they were on holiday there. William has spoken out in the past about Rhino poaching after a visit to Africa. This is his latest interview on the sublect of poaching, and applies really just as much to Elephants as it does to Rhinos
http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-01-03/duke-of-cambridge-prince-william-rhino-killing-africa/

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Oooops Embarassed thanks for that WS - I've googled it and he proposed to Kate there, knew there was a connection Very Happy

Thanks for that link and I Agree it would apply just as much to the Elephant behind as the Rhino 2
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Couple of high profile comments today I've seen on FB re the poaching :-

Lewa Wildlife Conservancy - Tremendous reporting on elephant poaching from iTV. They are on Lewa today, talking about rhino poaching and asking about the threat we face. We need more reports like these.

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Watched last night's ITV News report about the ivory trade and the impact it is having on elephant populations, featuring footage from the orphanage and short interview with Dame Daphne Sheldrick.

As well as an informative interview with IFAW's UK Director on the extent of the global ivory trade http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-01-09/anger-over-elephant-killings/#ifaw-ivory-trade-finances-gangs-criminal-activities_143785
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks Doogs just had a quick look at the link, and there's a lot of information to look at, and interviews to see. I will check that out later. ITV seems to have done a good job on highlighting the slaughter
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:02 am

Horrendous news and it goes on and on. I won't print here news about the poaching and also how high up the chain in government it goes, enough said.

They don't/can't prosecute and so the poaching goes on. I wonder how long eles and rhinos can survive?

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Interesting article and news. Let's hope this helps.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:26 pm

I agree about your comments on Kenya Lai, they are well known.
I think SA have made a really good decision there and are serious about combating Rhino poaching. There seems to be funds behind it, and they also have recruited patners to make thing happen. I've got nothing but praise for the KNP Ranger who reported the approach from poachers, he has out himslef and any family at risk to save Rhinos, and I hope he is well rewarded. It will show others that they can be rewarded, instead of making moey from poachers.
Thanks for the news link Doogs
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 am

African elephant poaching threatens wildlife future
Another sad update on the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21018429

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:25 am

A realistic and tragic article and I think the below quote sums it up sadly.

Mr Loldikir says arresting poachers is a waste of time. Prosecutions are rare and the perpetrator is likely to get off with a small fine.

And so Mr Loldikir and his men say they are forced to take more drastic measures.

"When we meet a poacher, we just kill," he said. "It's the only way to protect the animals, just to kill the poacher."

Sadly it is not the poachers who are to blame, they are merely the bottom of the chain, but mans greed and desire for ivory. No comment on the chinese, they leave me speechless as ever.

Thanks WS

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:35 am

Very sad news indeed. I am shocked that the worst atrocity of this kind ever could be committed in Kenya, as I thought that slowly over time, humanity would improve in regards to care for animals. I would have assumed that humans were much more 'wild' 50 years ago.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down