Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leopard's tale (part 3)

+2
Doogs
Safariman
6 posters

Go down

Leopard's tale (part 3) Empty Leopard's tale (part 3)

Post  Safariman Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:15 pm

This is the final installment of my leopard trilogy.
After the leopard had climbed the tree and disappeared from site (see part 2) David moved our vehicle until it was positioned adjacent to the tree in the hope of seeing it relaxing. However she seemed slightly agitated, constantly moving around the branches trying to find somewhere to settle. It is possible that it was a new tree for her and that she was checking it out. She did eventually find a spot and settled down but within a short time she was again prowling around the tree and at times was almost directly above our vehicle!! Again she found herself a comfortable branch and did settle down. Unfortunately from my point of view we were on the wrong side of the tree for the light and some of the photos have come out a bit flat but that was a minor point compared with being able to spend time with this beautiful lady. Checking my photos I found that we were at the sighting for over 45 mins. and during that time a couple of other vehicles did pull up but after a couple of minutes quickly moved on presumably to tick of the next animal on their must see list!!
Having established she was now settled we decided to move on for a well earned breakfast little knowing that it would be a long time coming (another story to tell). Within 200-300 yards of driving off it became apparent what was causing her agitation. Relaxing in thick bush were several members of the Cheli lion pride including a big male who was lying flat out with a belly that looked as if it was about to burst. Our leopard had probably picked up their scent and was not taking any chances and keeping well out of the way!

Leopard's tale (part 3) P1060314

Leopard's tale (part 3) P1060315

Leopard's tale (part 3) P1060316

Leopard's tale (part 3) P1060317

Leopard's tale (part 3) P1060318
The leopard's tail!!

Leopard's tale (part 3) P1060319

Leopard's tale (part 3) P1060320

Leopard's tale (part 3) P1060321

Leopard's tale (part 3) P1060322

Leopard's tale (part 3) P1060323

It had been a rare chance to to spend time with a beautiful leopard and take some incredible photos. Unfortunately I have not been able to find out her name although I have posted her photo on a couple of FB pages in the hope that someone will recognise her.

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Leopard's tale (part 3) Empty Re: Leopard's tale (part 3)

Post  Doogs Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:14 pm

My lunchtime is over and I've run out of time to post my comments on here, will be back on the case soon Wink PS . . . great photos Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:55 pm

For a minute there Safariman I thought when you said she was unsettled and a bit agitated, there were going to be cubs around somewhere, but alas that was not to be, it was the scent of this rather large male Lion with a stomach that looks fit to burst, it's enormous! but he is a fine looking chap.

Isn't it amazing that people will travel such a distance from their own country to see magnificent wildlife and when they get there they spend a few minutes just ticking it off a list, I don't understand that, surely if you come across a magnificent cat you would want to spend as much time as possible with them, as long as it wasn't aggravating the animal.....there sure are some strange folk!

Love the photo's and so great that after the Leopard tail post, you have photo's of the Leopard with her tail, just brilliant Safariman, I really enjoyed those pics and I have a feeling we have another story to come......please say yes Very Happy
I also hope that someone is able to ID her for you.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Another great tale buddy and marvellous pictures. I especially love the first pic and third one (the 'action' shot).

To anyone who leaves a loveable leopard No

And well, you definitely deserve one of these:

You the man
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:45 am

WOW Safariman, I loved all the photos and the story that went with them. I can never understand the 'tick the list' attitude. To sit and watch an animal for time (as long as they aren't disturbed by you) is so special and as a leopard lover I would happily sit and watch for hours. There is so much more than just the 'big 5'

Thanks so much and as GR says You the man

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:16 am

Yep, nothing at all LESSER about the leopard Very Happy
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 am

Great shots Safariman, and the light really does not detract from them. She is such a beautiful Leopard that it trancends the lighting. I certainly do'nt blame her for staying up the tree with that big Male Lion around, he certainly looks as though he's fed well. I agree about the 5, and your right Lai there is so much more to experience. Shame you could'nt find out her name, we tried to find out a Leopards name on here that was on a video on You Tube we got close with contacts in the area from some of the camps, and people like Jonathan, Aatish Patel, and Paul kirui, but in the end we called her Siri.
I have to add my You the man to the others. Great pics and a great story. Thanks Safariman

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Another great story and photos Safariman. She certainly endeared herself to you by providing you with excellent photographic opportunities. It is a pity you couldn't find out what she was called. Glad to hear she sniffed out the Lions and stayed safely away from them up her tree, albeit she was agitated about the situation.

Thanks Safariman
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:42 pm

At long last I think I have found out the name of the beautiful star of my Leopard's Tale, she is Nelangu, the daughter of Zawadi!!!!!
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:32 am

Sorry I missed your update here Safariman. Thats brilliant news that you found out who your Leopard is. How amazing she is the daughter of Zawadi. How did you mange to get her ID'd? Do you have an explanation of her name?
I am really pleased for you, it's always nice to be able to know a little more about the animals we see and this is obviously one very special Leopard.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:20 pm

LW I also did a post on the Zawadi thread in Africas Big Five and explained how I found out. I saw some photos on the Mara North FB page, the reserve where I had been staying, which Mara North had shared from some photos posted by Paul Goldstein on Kicheche Camps FB page. The photos included one of a leopard and there is no mistaking that the markings are identical to the ones I saw on the leopard on my last trip there in Dec. According to Paul Goldstein, she is called Nelangu and is the 4 year old daughter of Zawadi. I think the name means "Newcomer" or "New kid on the block" and I intend to return to Mara North at the beginning of Nov. and hopefully find out more information and possibly if I am very lucky see her again!!

Safariman

Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Sorry I missed your postings previously Safariman, I have been missing a few days/weeks sometimes on here when I have not been feeling so good, so I have missed a few posts along the way and this news was obviously one of them.
Loving the interpretation of the name and I really hope you do get to see her again in November. Thank you for the info on how you managed to get her ID'd and now you have her spot markings and name etc, when you see her you will know it's her. I bet you now cant wait for November to arrive.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down