Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joy's Camp, Shaba National Reserve, Kenya

+2
littlewid
Laikipia
6 posters

Go down

Joy's Camp, Shaba National Reserve, Kenya Empty Joy's Camp, Shaba National Reserve, Kenya

Post  Laikipia Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:51 am

We stayed at Joy's Camp for 4 nights. In the Shaba National Reserve, an arid landscape but with 17 springs and a very diverse landscape, from larva rocks to grassy plains (plenty of recent rain made it very beautiful). The area is a birders paradise for sure. Sadly no lions around. In fact we saw not one lion at any of the camps, is this indicative of what is happening to lions at the moment? We did spot 3 cheetah brothers one night on the move just as we were stopping for sundowners, they didn't hang around as they were trying to get in their last hunt of the day perhaps. Also we missed seeing the leopards as Pete was ill for a few days so one day we stayed in camp. He slept while I read and took lots of birds photos around the camp/pool.

Special things to see were Grevy zebra, somali ostrich, kori bustard (huge bird) and some truly stunning birds - black kite (brown in colour).

A short slideshow - enjoy.

Lai Very Happy
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Joy's Camp, Shaba National Reserve, Kenya Empty Re: Joy's Camp, Shaba National Reserve, Kenya

Post  littlewid Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:40 am

Well I have just watched that video 3 times and stopped myself from watching it for a 4th Very Happy it is brilliant. I do adore all the photos and they all evoke a different emotion but I must say my favourites are the group of Zebras and all the pictures of the orange and Black/Blue birds, those simply are amazing and so beautiful, the one wher ehis is on one leg and the feeding ones just made me go goose pimply, they are so very lovely. I believe I would love Joys place, I adore birds and it looks a very special place for birders for sure, WS is going to love this video to I believe.

I wonder if seeing no Lions is a sign of the times Lai and very sad if it is, it is quite worrying isn't it.

Sorry Pete was poorly for few days, thats never nice when you are away and far from home is it.

From your pictures the landscape is quite diverse isnt it but that also makes visiting a place more interesting I think.

I know for sure I am going to be watching this video again later, I love it!

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Joy's Camp, Shaba National Reserve, Kenya Empty Re: Joy's Camp, Shaba National Reserve, Kenya

Post  Laikipia Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks Littlewid, it really is a lovely place (despite my slightly rude comments about the camp) Shaba is so diverse and really very stunning with more birds than I have ever seen. I really enjoyed trying to take photos and trying to ID them all (brilliant guide and spotter, Eric and Mathaiga on hand to help).

Here's a list of the birds in order of the slideshow. I did mean to list a few Embarassed scratch but got carried away!

Somali ostrich (male has blue legs)
Swallows/swifts coming in to drink over the water and then roost
Lapwing in the pool
Superb Starling (parents and chick) chick very needy and constantly asking for food, parents trying to encourage him/her to find it's own. Fascinating to watch and they really are superb colours.
Red cheek cordon bleu on the edge of the pool
Birds on the water hose - either Sparrows of some kind or Weaver birds of some kind (a bit vague on this)
Kori bustard - female and then male
European roller - not as beautiful as Lilac Breasted Roller but still stunning
Great Spotted Cuckoo - rubbish photo but was thrilled to see a cuckoo
Pearl Spotted Owlet - wow what a beauty and sat and posed for us
Black Kite flying (brown in colour)
Pale Chanting Goshawk

Lai

Last edited by Laikipia on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:42 am

My internet is not working well just now, so shall have to view slideshow later, but anyhoo, I really liked this:

"Also we missed seeing the leopards as Pete was ill for a few days so one day we stayed in camp. He slept while I read and took lots of birds photos around the camp/pool."

In sickness and in health.

You're very sweet queen albino
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks Onesie Man - I try when Pete is 🤢 to be caring and let him get on with it lol!

Lai queen albino
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:09 am

Lovely mix of animals and birds Lai, sorry to hear Pete was ill and you had to miss some game drives, very frustrating when you are only there for a short time. Shaba, like Meru looks very green after all the rain and makes the landscape especially beautiful contrasting with the red earth. The birdlife in the north is amazing and I know Meru has over 500 recorded species so I guess Shaba will be very similar. Its great fun trying to identify the birds, the problem I have is that soon after returning home my memory starts to fade an then when I return on another visit I have to start all over again trying to identify them!! I normally try and take as many pics of birds as I can and then when I get home put them on the computer and then use my bird book to try and identify them. It is a good way to waste a couple of hours.
I think if you want to guarantee seeing cats then the Mara has to be the place to go. In the north I think it is very much a hit and miss affair, you don't have the wide open plains and the grass is a lot higher as there are no Wildebeest to trim it. When I visit Meru, if I see a cat I know I am very lucky.
I love the pics of the Grevy zebras their markings are so distinctive compared to the common zebra. Unfortunately another animal on the endangered list. They tried introducing them to Meru but there are now only 6 left, all females, so they will probably die out there soon unless they can bring in some males.
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:17 am

Joy's Camp, Shaba National Reserve, Kenya 768480 That was brilliant Lai, you've just made my Sunday. It really does look a superb spot for Birding. I would love to go somewhere like that. Also you've got great shots there you've done really well to get them. Love the Zebra, and I did'nt know there was a Somali Ostrich. Those Kori's are really huge arnt they, I see them at Pete's Pond in SA, they are the heaviest known Bird capable of flight. I thought for a second you were talking about me Superb Starling Embarassed Joy's Camp, Shaba National Reserve, Kenya 40683 .
Shame Pete was ill hope his fully recovered now, at least you got to take some photos, and spend time over them, identifying them
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks Safariman and WS.

I agree re the birds Safariman, I take my book with me so I can check and learn at the same time. I really do enjoy the birds. Also it helps with such a good guide and a spotter as some look so similar!

Sad to learn about the Grevy in Meru - the problem is the male Grevy are solitary so easy pickings for the big cats.

I thought you'd like the Superb Starling WS - it really is a stunner and a couple fed from my hand which was delightful.

Pete was fine after a couple of days - lots of colds and flu flying around so I guess the plane journey didn't help.

We're hoping to visit Meru soon and also Mara North - I would love to catch up with Piers and Kapeen again.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Thank you for the list of birds Lai, that really helps. I did wonder if they were starlings but they were so vibrant I thought I would show my ignorance by saying "Magnificent Starlings", wished I had now Joy's Camp, Shaba National Reserve, Kenya 40683 I too loved the owl, as you know I adore them so for you to be able to sit and watch him must have been fantastic but I must say the starling pics really did make my heart smile this morning.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 am

Beautiful slideshoe Lai. I really like the giraffes (surprise, surprise), bird being feed, cute deer creature (at 1:40) and black kite in action. It's also great the way that you blend it with African music cheers
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks Giraffey Boy - I thought you'd like those stunning looking Reticulated Giraffes Very Happy The little antelope is a Dik Dik (a tiny antelope) and these ones have an elongated snout (cute looking I think).

Glad you enjoyed the music as well. I've still got to put together my last slideshow !

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:35 am

There's still more!

Joy's Camp, Shaba National Reserve, Kenya 853843 sunny Very Happy
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:10 am

Oh yes indeedy - our third camp and ele heaven!

Lai queen albino
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Lunchtime up for me so I'll have to catch up on this thread later
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:50 pm

"Oh yes indeedy" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum