Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012

5 posters

Go down

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 Empty Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012

Post  Safariman Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:10 pm

As the weather outside is cold, damp, grey and miserable I thought i would post some photos of some of the very colourful birds I came across on my recent visit to Meru. A lot of the birds where in their breeding plumage and busy nest building. Meru has now over 500 bird species on its, bird list and is a wonderful park for any bird enthusiast. I will do a similar posting for the birds of the Mara at a later date.

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070810

Female Saddle-billed stork

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070710

Brown snake eagle being dive-bombed by a Fork-tailed drongo!!

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070711

Yellow-necked spurfowl

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1080110

Male Von der Decken's hornbill

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1080111

White-bellied Go-awaybird

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1080010

Black-shouldered kite

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070910

Black-shouldered kite taking off!!

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070911

Male Golden palm weaver nest building

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1080112

Steppe eagle, a paleartic migrant to Meru

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070610

White-winged widowbird

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070912

Blue-cheeked bee-eater

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070211

Long-crested eagle

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070110

Grey-headed kingfisher, one of the many non-fish eating kingfishers

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070913

Black-faced sandgrouse

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070712

Male Hartlaub's bustard

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070510

Ruppell's Griffon vulture

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070811

The tiny Malachite kingfisher

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070010

White-throated bee-eater

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070713

Goliath heron

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070011

Male Wattled starling in full breeding plumage

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 P1070212

No group of African bird photos can be complete without the ubiquitous Lilac-breasted roller!!!

Safariman

Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 Empty Re: Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012

Post  Laikipia Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 768480 Safariman. I absolutely love the birds in Africa, especially Kenya so that was a real delight for me to see them all again on this grey and dreary day.

Some wonderful shots. Thanks for sharing.

Lai

ps you can never have enough photos of the LBR they are stunning birds.
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012 Empty Re: Birds of Meru National Park, Kenya, Dec.2012

Post  littlewid Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:58 pm

What a treat those are safariman, I am a bird lover too although I have never seen these birds for real, maybe one day I will jump on a plane and go.

Never heard of a yellow Necked Spurfowl before, the colour is brilliant, makes not a very handsome bird very attractive I think. I have also never heard of a White Bellied Go Away bird before either but it is gorgeous to look at.
The Black Shouldered Kite is amazing and the picture of it taking off is spectacular. The little Male Golden Palm Weaver is lovely, such a bright coloured bird and I love him.
WOW the Steppe Eagle is magnificent, what a bird! and I really like the shot of the Widow Bird, he looks as if he is dancing in the air, just lovely.
I love the Bee Eater Birds and that photo is really nice and that long crested eagle is such a stunner. Kingfishers are such beautiful birds dont you think and that one is a stunner. The Goliath Heron, well he certainly looks like he means business!! Oh my, that Male Wattled Starling is superb, never seen anything like it, how does he see where he is going and the little LBR is so cute, I do like them quite a lot. The Grouse makes me think of Scotland and not Africa and the feathers on the Bustard look like Lace, it's so lovely and the Vulture also looks like he has a lace scarf as well, he's a big bird! and the Malachite Kingfisher is so sweet.

Fantastic pictures there Safariman and i really enjoyed looking at them, it's a chilly evening here and thats just brought some sunshine to the evening.
Thanks a lot.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 am

Some really great colours here Safariman cheers

Though I reckon that lilac breasted roller is a real show-off Laughing

The spurfowl looks almost turkey like and the golden palm weaver is very beautiful.

The Go-awaybird Laughing What a name!

I really like the kingfishers.

Thanks for sharing.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:02 pm

You know how I like to be geek Reading GR - so here's why it is known as the Go Away bird.

A very common bird of the bushveld, often referred to as the "Go Away" bird because of its characteristic call. They are dependant on water and will drink daily.

They are very fond of fruits which make up a large portion of their diet. They have a characteristic alarm call to ward off birds of prey which other bird species react to.

They will breed throughout the year, building a nest within the canopy of thorn trees. The female will incubate her eggs for around 27 days.

The grey lourie's annoyed lament: "Go 'way. Go 'way," lending him the nickname of the "Go Away Bird".

Lai Very Happy
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:51 pm

What a wonderful, colourful, beautiful selection of birds Safariman, thanks so much for posting them. It just goes to show that the Mara is a bird spotting haven as well as catering for the big cats etc. They have an amazing abundance of many types of birds from small LBR's and Bee Eaters to the larger Eagles and Vultures etc cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 am

Thanks Lai. So the Go Away bird voices concern for the smaller birds while keeping an eye out for the bigger birds?
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:08 pm

A lot of species do the same GR. Will list them when I can think of the top of my head lol!

Lai geek
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down