Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nesting Swans

5 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Nesting Swans - Page 2 Empty Re: Nesting Swans

Post  Laikipia Fri May 31, 2013 7:05 pm

http://i73.servimg.c and Thanks Safariman, another brilliant update with great comments and superb photos.

140 photos in 20 minutes WOW - that's a lot!

I can imagine you'll come back with thousands after Zambia Laughing

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:49 pm

Just catching up and more wonderful photos of your ducks, ducklings and swans Safariman Nesting Swans - Page 2 768480 Thanks so much for posting them and of course the updates. Shame the ducklings are down to 5 but fingers crossed all of these survive from here on in.

Nesting Swans - Page 2 40683 for the number of photos you took in such a short space of time.

Not long now until Zambia Cool Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Final update on the swans before I depart for Zambia tomorrow.
The swans were doing some tidying-up and housework around the nest, possibly about to change over incubation duties so I took the opportunity to have a quick peek in the nest. There appears to be at least 4 eggs and I hope they can organise their hatching until I return!!!
Mrs Moorhen still sitting comfortably on her nest but I was only able to see 4 ducklings.
Must go and start sorting out my packing although its fairly easy, I just take 3 of everything, one to wear, one clean and one in the laundry!! The difficult bit is remembering to charge all the batteries for cameras, i-pad, kindle etc. I always seem to have pack more cables and chargers than anything else.
Will update you about everything when i return on the 15th.

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1000910

The male swan is on the bank and the female in the pond.

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1000911

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1000912

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:13 pm

http://i73.servimg.c Safariman and Thanks for your final update before you leave for Zambia. Good to know all is well on your pond.

I Agree with the packing, it ends up with more leads, chargers and cables than clothes for sure.

Don't forget mosie spray/repellent the tsetse fly are mean in Zambia What a Face

Have a totally brilliant time, I am soooooooooooooooooo jealous and have a safe journey and take zillions of photos.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Group Hug Thank you for the update and wonderful pictures Safariman, those eggs look huge and I am keeping my fingers crossed they don't hatch until you return, it would be a shame for you to miss it as you have been keeping such a good eye on them.
Glad that everything appears well on the pond. Only 4 ducklings, I hope the others were hiding and thats not a final head count What a Face

You have a brilliant time in Zambia, we will miss you and have a safe journey there and back. Have fun and take care.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 am

Great updates thanks Safariman. Brave Man getting close enough to the Swans nest to see how many eggs What a Face I dont know if you follow Springwatch, but there was an interesting section on Mallard Ducks on tonights episode. For a pocket camera the quality of those pics is superb what MP is it ?, I know what you mean about the screen, and another problem in bright weather is seeing it as well. With wildlife you can get really carried away with the number of shots, its so easy.
Have a great time in Zambia, really looking forward to hearing your stories, and seeing the photos you capture.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:09 pm

More wonderful photos and an update - great shot of the eggs on the nest Cool

I Agree with WS re being brave enough to go near the nest to see how many eggs there were ! affraid

I'll have missed you but hope you have a great time in Zambia, between there and this thread you'll have a lot of updating to do on your return !! lol!
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:30 am

On Sunday morning having just returned from my trip to Zambia I took a quick look at the pond and found to my dismay that the Swan's nest was empty, with no sign of the swans or any cygnets. In fact the only occupants were the 4 remaining ducklings and their mum now enjoying some superior accommodation. I spoke to my neighbour this morning who had also been keenly watching developments. He said that the first egg hatched the day I left on my trip and that eventually 7 cygnets were hatched (I obviously under estimated the number of eggs in the nest!!) However three days after the last egg hatched they all disappeared adults and cygnets and were nowhere to be seen. The only possible explanation seems to be that their is a nearby small river/stream and that the parents moved them there as soon as they were able. Unfortunately the stream is quite fast flowing due to the incessant rain so I only hope they managed to survive and find a new home. My neighbour had searched all around but could find no sign of them, all a bit of a mystery and rather an anticlimax to what had gone on before.
However there are now 4 quite large ducklings on the pond and the moorhens are still sitting on the nest so hopefully they will hatch soon. I will keep you posted.

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Awwwww no Safariman, that's so disappointing to hear Crying or Very sad   Lets maybe keep a positive frame of mind though and hope that for some reasons they moved away from the nest and they are all ok, fingers crossed that is the case.

Great to hear there are still 4 ducklings on the go who are making the most of the 5 star accommodation and obviously growing up nicely  
Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi Safariman it's good to have you back and looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

What a real shame about the Swans, it's sad for us but when you had been so closely following them and they were on your pond so to speak, it must have been really deflating to come home too.
I agree with Doogs that we must think positively that they moved to somewhere that was a little less populated and that they made the river ok and they are all living very happily together.......but they could have waited till you got home to get the last few pics of them!

Glad the ducklings and Moorhens are doing just fine and look forward to seeing some pictures of the growing ducklings.

Please thank your neighbour for keeping an eye out and trying to find them after they had moved on. I know he was watching them anyway but if he hadn't been watching we wouldn't know how many cygnets there were and what potentially happened, so a big THANKS Very Happy  

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:40 am

Took a quick look at the pond this morning and to my surprise found that the Moorhen eggs had hatched. I think there are between 6-8 tiny little chicks, it is difficult to see exactly as they were zipping about the pond at high speed while mum and dad were trying to feed them with the bread I had provided. The Moorhens are excellent parents as they keep the chicks on the pond until they are quite big. The parents spend all their time scavenging for food to keep their brood fed. The chicks are definitely not as charismatic as the Mallard ducklings with their bald heads bright red beaks and protruding eyes but they are one of my favourites. I tried to take some pics but I only had my pocket camera with me so the quality is not too good.

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1000314

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1000315

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1000415

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1000316

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Nesting Swans - Page 2 768480  they are like little balls of black cotton wool !!!  Gorgeous, thanks Safariman   Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:42 pm

See Safariman, the swans didn't wait but the Moorhens waited for your return Very Happy . I love the Moorhens and they always amuse me when I go to the WWT and I think the chicks are cute, as Doogs say's black cotton wool balls.

The parents must be one of the most sensible parents, keeping their chicks safe on the water until they are bigger, out of harms way is the best way.

Thanks for the pictures Safariman, may have been your little pocket camera but we got to see the Moorhens and their chicks which is the important thing Nesting Swans - Page 2 768480

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Shame the Swans went away Safariman, but I feel they must have done ot for a good reason, so hopefully they are safe somewhere. At least the Mallards got to upgrade to the penthouse suit Very Happy . Lovely to see the Moorhen chicks they look very like the Water Rail chicks that hatched on Springwatch same description little black balls of fluff. Thanks for the photos, any pics are great

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for the update Safariman.  Let's hope the swans and cygnets are all safe and okay, I guess they had their reasons to move.

Lovely to see the moorhen chicks.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Managed to take some more Moorhen pics today when the sun was shining!! The chicks seem to be developing at different speeds, with one considerably bigger than it's siblings and one very much the runt. The ducklings have now vacated the pond leaving just the Moorhens and one or two Mallards so there is not too much competition for food which should help the Moorhens.

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1020110

Couldn't resist this pic taken this morning showing them all lined up waiting for breakfast!!

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1020210

The one on the right seems to be bigger than the rest

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1020211

Mum or Dad having a quick wash and brush up

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1020212

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1020213

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1020214

The smallest one hoping to be fed!!

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:44 pm

http://i73.servimg.c Safariman - those are lovely photos of the moorhen chicks, I love the one of them all lined up waiting expectantly.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Those are lovely Safariman and the little one has done well so far, so I am sure he will be just fine, he is definitely my favourite and I reckon he is a little survivor.

I adore the shot of them all lining up for breakfast, that is such  smashing picture. I don't have much on on Sunday as far as I can remember, so I may go to my local WWT in Arundel to see if I can spy any Moorhen chicks myself.

Thank you for the update Safariman.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:24 am

A quick update on life on the pond. The 4 remaining Mallard ducklings made a brief return visit to the pond. They are now almost fully grown and appear to be 3 female and 1 male. They almost mugged me when I was trying to feed the Moorhens!!! There are now 5 Moorhen chicks and the parents are kept bust trying to find food for them. I try and help with the odd slice of bread. My neighbour managed to get some photos of the Swan cygnets before they moved on so at least there is now a record of them and very cute they looked too. I am rather sad that I missed them.

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1020410

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1020411

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P1020414

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Good to know at least of the Mallard ducklings made it in the end. The Moorhen chicks do look scruffy little things, really comical. Did your neighbour say how many Cygnets there were ?. Shame you missed them after following their story for so long. Thanks for the update, and great pics as usual Safariman
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:46 pm

Lovely to see the Moorhen Chicks Safariman, I love the tuftyness of them I love you  good to know the Mallard chicks have done well. Lets hope food is not problem for the Moorhen parents and I bet they are really grateful for the bread you give them.

It is a real shame you missed the cygnets as you had spent time photographing the adults and keeping an eye on the eggs. Do you think your neighbour will let you post his pictures on here so we can see them Safariman?

I love the last pictures that you posted here especially the last one>

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:55 am

Not sure LW as the photos I have of the cygnets are just a couple of prints. I don't know if my neighbour still has the originals on a memory card that I could download onto my computer.
This is a short video of the Moorhens and chicks at feeding time!! It is fascinating to watch them as the adults, as soon as they have finished feeding always have a wash and brush-up and now the chicks are starting to copy them, even trying to flap the tiny stubs of their wings

https://youtu.be/9rE5j2z9Cn0

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:30 pm

What a brilliant video Safariman. The chicks really are learning by example aren't they. He/she was so cute standing on the branch then copying mum or dad and then back on the branch only to be met by the other parent going to have a splash at the other end, it did make me smile and his little wings buzzing was just just fabulous. It was so nice to see them altogether feeding and just being a happy family, thoroughly enjoyed that and I know the others will too.

The video well made up for no cygnet pics Safariman and only ask your friend if it's not going to bother him but I am glad you have a couple of pics to remember them by, it's a nice memento for you to have.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:14 am

My neighbour very kindly lent me her memory card so that I could download some of the photos she took of the swan cygnets soon after they hatched in early June and before they disappeared while I was away in Zambia. There are some great photos and I am very envious!!

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P6070210

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P6070211

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P6070212

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P6070310

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P6080310

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P6090310

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P6100410

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P6100411

Nesting Swans - Page 2 P6100510

Mum, Dad and all seven chicks before they disappeared!!

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:27 am

Oh WOW  those are wonderful Safariman. Thanks so much for sharing and what a shame you missed them, but I feel sure Zambia more than made up for it.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next