Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nesting Swans

5 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Nesting Swans - Page 4 Empty Re: Nesting Swans

Post  whitestarling Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Fantastic that found out about the Male Swan Safariman, well done, and fingers X he will nest next year. Great shots of the new clutch of Moorhens, love how they are balancing on the reeds. Also good to find out that the earlier brood are helping to feed the new ones
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:57 pm

Thats great news about the BTO and the news on the male swan Safariman, lets hope they do nest again next year, I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Great pics of the Moorhens, I especially love the first and last pictures and I think the first one could win a wildlife photographic competition, its a lovely composition. I am enjoying following this family through your pictures.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:00 am

A final update from the pond for this year. There are now a total of 8 Moorhens still on the pond, which means that Mr.& Mrs. Moorhen have managed to raise 6 chicks to maturity. I think there are 3 from each brood but as they all now look like their parents it is difficult to tell. I think Mum and Dad have done a great job and I look forward with anticipation to next spring.

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:46 am

http://i73.servimg.c  That's good news Safariman, thanks for updating us and I am very much looking forward to next spring and news from your pond.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks for the final update of the year from your Pond Safriman. The Moorhens have really done a fantastic job to get that many of their two broods through. Hopefully another exciting year at the Pond next year.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:49 pm

bounce  that really is good news Safariman and if they are three from each brood I think thats rather nice as there are chicks that are now adults from each clutch and thats lovely. Hopefully next Spring will be just as lovely and we will be able to share in your pond again. Thanks for the last update for this year Very Happy 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:36 am

Interesting development on the pond this morning. I was doing my Friday morning chores of dusting and Hoovering when looking out of my upstairs window I saw on the pond, much to my surprise and delight, a swan!!! Quickly grabbing a coat and my camera I went across to the pond to investigate. As soon as the swan saw me he swam across to the side of the pond came out of the water and followed me back to my garden gate. I tend to keep my distance from swans (and elephants) as they are rather large and unpredictable. However I am pretty much 100% certain that it is the same male swan who nested on the pond with his mate last year. He had a similar ring on his leg and the way he followed me, obviously expecting some food left me in no doubt!! It is my first sighting of a swan on the pond since last June when they disappeared with their newly hatched chicks. I would think he is probably checking out the pond to see if he should bring his mate back and nest again. I expect he will only be around for a couple of days before inspecting other sites, just a flying visit. The area where they nested last year is presently under water due to all the rain and I hope that does not put him off!!! I shall have to wait and see if anything develops.
It certainly brought a smile to my face on a miserable wet and windy morning.

Nesting Swans - Page 4 P1060911

Nesting Swans - Page 4 P1060912

Nesting Swans - Page 4 P1060913

Nesting Swans - Page 4 P1060914

Nesting Swans - Page 4 P1060915

SM
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:38 pm

cheers Great to see him back SM and doesn't he look great  Cool  Great shots of him getting close and closer to you. Fingers crossed he returns with his mate and they have their signets on the pond outside your house Very Happy 

PS . . . . "I was doing my Friday morning chores of dusting and Hoovering" - very impressed  Wink 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:44 pm

Nesting Swans - Page 4 71418  Safariman, that's wonderful news and great if it is the same swan from last year. What a lovely surprise for you whilst doing the chores (which like Doogs I am very impressed by).

Nesting Swans - Page 4 431638  The swans are with you again this year.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:45 am

Great news, both swans are now back on the pond, they have been visiting for the last couple of weeks. They normally appear early in the morning, stay for a few hours and then disappear again presumably to the nearby river. However yesterday and this morning they have started nest building!! Their nest from last year is still under water after all the winter rains so they have chosen a new site further along the bank This morning it was the male hard at work with the nest while his mate came ashore and tried to mug any unsuspecting passer-by in the hope of scrounging some food!! The surrounds of the pond are very muddy due to all the excess water and the nest building has created one very grubby swan!! I only hope that they are not starting too early as at this time last year it was still icy cold with snow on the ground.
The moorhens and the mallard ducks are also starting to get frisky and along with all the daffodils now in bloom plus some welcome sunshine, it must be spring!!
I will keep you posted of further developments.

Nesting Swans - Page 4 P1090210

The male hard at work

Nesting Swans - Page 4 P1090310

The female looking for food!!

Nesting Swans - Page 4 P1090311

Nesting Swans - Page 4 P1090312

A very muddy looking male swan!!

Nesting Swans - Page 4 P1090211

Male mallard on the look-out for any passing female!!

SM
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:38 pm

http://i70.servimg.c  That's wonderful news Safariman.  I do hope they stay safe and the weather doesn't change.  It's such a lovely time of year when all the wildlife/birds are starting to nest and pair up.

Amazing the difference between this year and last year  What a Face 

Looking forward to updates.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:05 pm

How on earth did I miss your post on the 17th January Safariman  Nesting Swans - Page 4 615959  i'm shocked at myself. How fantastic that he remembered you and followed you, I understand what you mean about them being big though and they can be quite menacing and hissy at times but I still think it's lovely that he followed you to the garden gate  Very Happy 

It's just fantastic news that they are back and nest building again and even though its still very muddy the male is doing a grand job......maybe your house work skills have rubbed off on him! Lets hope the weather doesn't change and it stays nice and spring like for them both to raise a family again this year, that will be so wonderful won't it. You are definitely now on Swan Watch Safariman  http://i70.servimg.c 
The photo's from the 17th Jan and todays are delightful, whenever I see the swans at our wildfowl Trust I can never resist taking some photo's, they are magnificent birds, very regal I think.

Love the Male Mallard and I hope he finds a mate this Spring and its great to know the Moorhens are around as well.....I think your going to have a very busy pond this Spring.......which is just fabulous  Nesting Swans - Page 4 853843 

Thanks so much for the news Safariman and I am looking forward to the updates of all the goings on at your pond.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:00 am

Hi Safariman

Is there any update on the nesting Swans ? I hope things are going well for them.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:35 am

Hi LW,

The swans are still around and continue building their nest which is turning into a very large structure. I will try and get some pics of it when the weather improves. They are still not around permanently but are slowly spending more time around the pond. They are always at my nextdoor neighbours front door first thing in the morning demanding food which i presume means they are building up their strength for the time they will have to spend on the nest.
I have also seen a pair of coots on the pond. There used to be a pair that nested there regularly but I have not seen them for a couple of years so perhaps they or their offspring have returned, I will have to wait and see if their return is permanent!

SM
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks Safariman  Very Happy  it is good to know they are still around and as you say, it does sound as if they are building up to be sitting on the nest for quite a while, that sounds positive doesn't it and good on your neighbour for feeding them. From what I remember of their other nest it was huge and as they are still building this one I presume it's going to be another mega nest! Hopefully the weather will improve so that you can get some pictures of how the nest is going, it will be lovely to see the creation.
Interesting about the Coots, it would be lovely for you if they were the original pair, I don't know if offspring return to where they were born to nest or not, I don't know much about them. Lets hope whoever they are, they remain and have chicks of their own. I wonder if the Swan stopped them coming back, if it is the swans I wonder if its the offspring who have not met the swans before?
Looking forward to updates when you can Safariman.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4