Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iconic Lion Cecil Killed

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Iconic Lion Cecil Killed Empty Iconic Lion Cecil Killed

Post  whitestarling Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:28 pm

Zimbabwe's 'iconic' lion Cecil killed by hunter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33674087

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Iconic Lion Cecil Killed Empty Re: Iconic Lion Cecil Killed

Post  Laikipia Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:22 am

Thanks for the link WS. Needless to say this went viral on FB! It really is tragic to see what goes on.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:13 pm

This so incredibly sad and so many people are talking about it which is a good thing. Generally this only hits the gossip papers somewhere in the middle of the rag and is picked up by wildlife forums etc but this time its hit the national and international news which is fantastic.
I hope this guy gets whats coming to him...... I really cant understand the mentality of people like this........I am being polite with my response here.

Lara and Kian were in disbelief over Cecil and Lara made a good comment for a 12yr old.......apart from being appalled by it she said killing Cecil didn't make him a brave or big man, he used a crossbow and a gun.....he didn't wrestle him to the ground.....hes a weak man and a cruel one......I think she has a good understanding of this type of person.

Sadly it has been reported today that Jericho has now also been shot and killed, this is devastating for the cubs and Lionesses, my heart goes out to Cecil and Jericho and I pray the pride stay safe......such a sad world we live in.

RIP Cecil & Jericho Sad

Littlewid-x-

littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:52 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3182796/Relief-Jericho-brother-slain-lion-Cecil-ALIVE-despite-reports-victim-poachers.html

Thankfully there is good news.....Jericho is alive and well......what a relief!!!! However, there is still the worry that on his own he may not be able tostop a take over......please god no other male tries a take over whilst the cubs are so young.....also I would hate Jericho to be driven out after he was a loner who palled up with Cecil then lost Cecil......Jericho is and has had it tough. Lets hope there will be better protection for him.

Littlewid-x-

littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:12 am

Agree 100% with all you say Littlewid. The good news is that it seems it was a mistake about Jericho. The only good thing, and it isn't good if you know what I mean, is that is has highlighted what goes on and by going viral maybe some good may come of Cecil's death.

I am saddened and shocked by it. RIP Cecil

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:15 pm

This is where the rumour, and mix up started
Zimbabwe seeks second American 'lion killer'
Zimbabwe says it is seeking a second American over the illegal killing of a lion, as the outcry over the death of famed animal Cecil continues.

The National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority said a doctor from Pennsylvania, named as Jan Casimir Seski, killed a lion in April.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33752403

Yes it is good about the awareness being raised, but like you LW I fear that Jericho as a lone pride male will be able to hold on long enough for the cubs to grow to an age they will be safe

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:06 pm

Like everybody else I was saddened and sickened at the unnecessary killing of Cecil for fun.
The cubs may well survive under the protection of his brother, it really depends on whether there are any nomadic lions around that area looking to take over a pride.
Although appalled by the incident I was also appalled by the mis-information and over the top postings on social media by people who only want to jump on a bandwagon and post abuse.
Hopefully the media storm will raise awareness of the plight of wildlife around the world and help to reduce the gratuitous hunting that goes on everywhere in the name of sport and some twisted version of conservation!!

SM
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Well said Safariman and I Agree

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:51 pm

I agree with what everyone has said here. Its a worry about the cubs and whether Jericho can hold his territory and maintain the cubs and lionesses safety. I am also a bit concerned that when they posted Jericho was actually alive they said where he was and I was concerned that some other hunter may just go and seek him out as it was easy enough for them to get to cecil.

It is fantastic Cecils death has had so much good attention and it can only but help raise the awareness and plight of all animals being hunted and it has brought other hunters to the fore and I hope this man is extradited to pay for what he has done but like you say SM there have been a lot of people on the bandwagon just to hurl abuse, they are not all animal lovers or interested in stopping poaching, they are regulars who just make nasty comments on lots of articles in the papers, its like the people who always red arrow nice comments, they are just as sick as the hunters.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:48 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3187160/Safe-harm-cuddling-Cecil-lion-s-cubs-orphaned-dentist-killed-father-adopted-new-pride-leader-uncle-Jericho.html

Some lovely pictures and 2 nice videos of Cecils cubs, safe and well and being looked after by uncle Jericho.......so wonderful to see I love you

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:24 am

Thanks Littlewid, good to see they are okay, an amazing story and it goes to show the power of social media!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:39 pm

http://i73.servimg.c Thanks LW great link, and long may Jericho keep protecting them fingers X

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:23 pm

It is great news isn't it and Jericho is such a Like a Star @ heaven for keeping Cecils cubs safe and also the Lionesses of the pride. It's good to know that Cecils legacy will carry on.
You are right Lai the power of the media has been good in this case and its kind of comforting to see how many people have been outraged over what happened to Cecil and also other illegal hunting.

When I went to Port Lympne I brought a little lion and he sits in the front of my car and hes called Cecil......I called him Percival but when my mum saw him she said, no , he needs to be called Cecil......I liked that lion cub

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:41 am

http://i73.servimg.c Littlewid and I agree with your mum - Cecil for sure lion cub

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:59 am

Zimbabwe bans hunting of lions, leopards and elephants
news/2010_jan/lion-hunting-ban-zimbabwe-w
Following the illegal killing of Cecil the lion the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority has banned the hunting of lions, leopards and elephants in areas outside of Hwange National Parks, where it was previously allowed.

From now on all such hunts will only be conducted if confirmed and authorised in writing by the Director-General of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, and only if accompanied by parks staff whose costs will be met by the landowner.

Under previous law hunting was banned in the Hwange National Park and the new measures are meant to prevent instances of illegal killings of wildlife outside the park. Cecil was lured outside the park’s grounds and then killed.

Members of the hunting fraternity are being reminded that it is illegal for quotas to be transferred from one hunting area to another.

Any case of quota transfer is regarded as poaching. The Authority will not hesitate to arrest, prosecute, and ban for life any persons including professional hunters, clients and land owners who are caught on the wrong side of the law.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:54 pm

That's really good news WS....or I think it is because it also seems as though some hunting is still allowed as long as its organised by the parks......or have I got that wrong......I would love for there to be no hunting, however it is conducted.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:29 am

Mmmmmmmmm good, let's hope that is for real!

Good blog by Jonathan Scott on Cecil the lion and more

http://www.jonathanangelascott.com/main/wordpress/category/blog/

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:32 am

Agree with that comment Lai. Thanks for the nudge on Jonathans Blog not looked at it in a while. Very thought provoking, I agree with his comments on Half Tail, its easy to watch in wonder, and awe at the scenery and the animals, but we don't have to live with the reality of living with them, perfectly understandable that they want to protect their stock, and crops. Will be good to hear some news on the Marsh Pride not seen anything about them lately.
Saw a good one of FB today, it said we should get the dentist, the doctor, the woman that shot the Elephant with a bow, and all he canned trophy hunters, and send them to fight ISIS, see how brave they are when something shoots back

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:07 pm

So much so true in what JS say's. That man just has to be so respected. Mahatma Ghandi also had it so right. The death, sorry murder of Cecil still evokes tears and so much anger within me. It was upsetting to hear about Half Tail but at least there was some sound reasoning why she died, even though it was at such great sadness to us but Cecil, what had he done except helped to maintain the Lion population with his cubs, help research by being a collard Lion, protect his pride and do  what Lions naturally do, there is no way he deserved or ought to have died in the way he did, his death should have been by preventing a take over of his pride or natural old age, his death was despicable as were the deaths of Lion 57 and all the other creatures who have been the victims of hunting and canned hunting.
Cecils death has highlighted the plight so much but it would have been better if the plight didn't need to be highlighted.

WS I so whole heartedly agree with you about sending these vile creatures called human to fight against ISIS......I reckon they would wet their pants as none of them have any true balls, they are weak, pathetic, meaningless, no marks who don't really have any meaning or validation for walking this planet.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris-AWD Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:31 am

The hunting industry in the spotlight again.

I think we all know the often repeated claim by the trophy hunting industry that the hunting revenues that is produced in the process provide benefits to the local rural communities.

I read a solid economic study recently that revealed that the communities in these areas where hunting occurs in reality receive very little benefit from this revenue.

The research published by the pro-hunting International Council for Game and Wildlife Conservation and the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation found that these hunting companies contribute only 3% of their revenue to communities living in hunting areas.

Most the revenue goes to the hunting firms, government agencies and the individuals located internationally.

The economics always show these animals are worth more alive than dead.

Chris
Chris-AWD
Chris-AWD

http://www.africa-wildlife-detective.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:43 pm

HI Chris
That is something we have often said before isnt it, that very little money goes back to the community's. Its just a way of trying to condone what they are doing and sadly there will always be people who are not really aware that they are just trying to make an excuse for their so called sport. People may be inclined to think that if these wild dangerous animals are culled they wont over populate the land, people wont be killed, their live stock wont be killed and the community will benefit so these hunters are doing a great service. We cant blame people for not being either as educated about hunting as we are or maybe not as pro iconic wild animals as we are and they may not know the full gravity of how numbers are declining in many species and how this upsets the balance of nature and prides and the predator/prey circle of things. Whereas we know its not right, its not legal, its not fair, its murder not culling, numbers of many animals are declining and famkly groups are put at risk and we know the money does not go to the community or conservation, they are just trying to appease themselves for their murderous ways. We need to try and educated people as to the true gravity that is happening.
Its a very hard subject to try and be calm over when you just want to go and get these awful people yourself but we must never stop being the advocate for these animals, they cant speak up for themselves so we must continue the fight for them.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:32 am

Hunters 0 Elephants 1
A celebrated Texas-born hunter was crushed to death by a baby elephant in Zimbabwe as he tried to measure its ivory tusks for an American client.
Ian Gibson, 55, was a lauded figure among U.S. safari enthusiasts, who would commission him to slaughter prized animals near his home in South Africa.
On Wednesday, he was tentatively approaching the young bull elephant in Zimbabwe's Zambezi Valley when the animal charged, and knelt on Gibson until he died.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3046075/Celebrated-hunter-crushed-death-baby-elephant-tried-measure-ivory-U-S-client.html

WS

whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:18 am

Mmmmmmmmmm - well it doesn't sound to me like he was into conservation. I am sorry this happened but it is karma. Ivory belongs on eles and that is all I shall say.

Thanks WS.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:14 pm

My question is why would he want to measure the Tusks, other than for one reason

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:18 pm

I Agree WS

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia