Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Feeding Stations :):)

+8
Carson1
Doogs
Anne-Marie1981
whitestarling
Safari Maiden
littlewid
Laikipia
princesspurplehippy
12 posters

Page 33 of 35 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down

Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 Empty Re: Our Feeding Stations :):)

Post  Laikipia Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:13 pm

I know Doogs, we have a lot of glass top to bottom and I've tried those bird stickers but they didn't help Sad  thankfully most recover.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Oh those are really lovely photos Lai and I too love the slow shutter picture its a clever shot. Loving the Heron a lot but yes not good news for the Pheasent chicks to have him around, hopefully he will behave himself. Good news that the house martin who had the accident with the window is fine and managed to fly off safely.

It's lovely to have this thread going again.

A little update on my collard doves, they had two clutches, then amazingly a third and all were reared safley and fledged safely, then mum and dad flew off and all I needed to do was to get around to sorting my photo thing so I could post more pictures of them all on here, well what a surprise, mum and dad came back the other week and they are taking it in turns to incubate their 4th clutch, I am so amazed as the weather has really changed and they have had to sit through some really rainy days and nights even though their tree is pretty sheltered. So I am now awaiting the arrival of chicks number 4 and because of this I cant fill my feeder as the nest is right next to it and I cant afford for mum and dad to get frightened off, they are getting plenty of food so thats not a worry and for now the other birds will have to feed elsewhere for a while. I will let you know what happens with clutch number 4.

littlewid-x-

littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:03 am

Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 768480  Littlewid, an amazing number of clutches, I guess that proves the summer has been good! Let's hope the recent lot are okay, it is quite late I would think, we need good mild dry weather for some time. I think the same for our pheasant chicks the torrential downpours from the last few days can't be good for them.

Looking forward to updates and photos when you can.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 pm

WOW LW another clutch, thats really going some. They've poberbly had them due to the extended ummer we've had after the delayed start, lets hope as Lai said it stays mild, and dry enough for them to fledge. It really is a bit late for them. It will be great to se some pics when your sorted with getting them on
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Just reading your post LW made me want to sing :

Whoa, whoa for the wings of a Dove
Whoa, whoa for the wings of a Dove

Ooops sorry about that Embarassed Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 40683 

Thanks for the update, they have done great haven't they Very Happy 

Fingers crossed for you 4th clutch and also for your pheasant chicks Lai Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 431638 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks guys, I will surely keep you updated and at the weekend I will try and sort getting pictures on and sort the picture thing I need.
I too think its the mild summer we have had that has given rise to a 4th clutch as it is rather late. As far as I can tell so far the eggs haven't hatched yet but I am hoping they will and that the weather doesnt get too awful. Mum and Dad have been outstanding parents to their other 3 lots of chicks so I know they will do their best for these and at least the tree still provides them lots of cover from the rain etc, I will be keeping a close eye on them.
I hope all your pheasant chicks do ok as well Lai and that your weather stays mild until they are bigger and stronger.

Loved the singing Doogs cheers so you keep singing Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 768480 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Just a quick update to report that we still have 5 pheasant chicks this morning, oh they are totally gorgeous and I have no idea how on earth I am going to get a photo Rolling Eyes 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Determination and perseverance comes to mind Lai and also being sneakier than the chicks lol!  a photo would be lovely but updates are just as much looked forward too.

My little Dove is still on the nest. Last night we had some awful rain and it was very windy and tonight and tomorrow is set to be awful, so I just hope she will be ok.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 431638  Littlewid, the weather is playing havoc with the birds at the moment, one minute beautiful warm and sunny and the next minute torrential rain, I am also worrying about our 5 chicks getting wet through and cold, tomorrows forecast is awful.

They all came out again to feed but my camera, big lens and tripod were in the cupboard Embarassed  I think I may have to leave it out and primed just in case but if it's going to rain tomorrow there is no point as they'll be keeping a low profile.

I hope your dove stays safe and warm.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Great to hear that the chicks are doing well Lai, and its fingers X that the weather does'nt affect them to badly. It's always the caes that somethinl will happen when your camera's not ready. From the forcast I dont think the weathers going to as bad where you are LW, so hopefully yours will be OK

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:21 am

5 came in this morning and ran around had a quick bite and ran off again, happily avoiding the pesky heron!

Weather wet and windy What a Face 

Hope your dove is okay Littlewid.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Even if the camera is set up Lai it can still be hard to capture the shot you want and with this weather you dont want it to be getting wet. I am not surprised the chicks are kind of eating on the run with Mr Heron about, very sensible of them not to loiter too long just incase What a Face 
My little Dove is fine, it was fairly sunny this morning but we now have lots of rain and wind, so I keep checking on her. There isnt anything I can do for her but she is still very calm about me being out there so hopefully she knows that a friendly face is checking on her. I just hope it doesnt get too windy so that she gets dislodged from the tree but the long leaves are giving her a little shelter, so fingers crossed she will be fine but I cant help but worry. Dad is also hanging around so she knows that he is keeping an eye too.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:21 pm

That's good news Littlewid. Today was just disgusting weather, wet and windy and torrential at times. Then briefly we had sunny which was lovely.

Fingers crossed tomorrow is a better day and all our birds stay safe.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:43 pm

cheers great to hear the 5 chicks are still doing well Lai cheers

Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 431638 with getting a photo Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 40683

Good to hear your dove is also doing well LW Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Even though we have had some disgusting weather with the wind and rain, mum and dad have looked after their egg/eggs so well and have taken a real battering in doing so, but the reward is their, they have a chick Very Happy  not quite sure at the moment if its one or two but yesterday evening Mark my neighbour and I got our first peak as mum left the nest briefly, she flew onto my fence whilst Mark was using his electric saw, so we took the opportunity to crane our necks and have a peek. Mum was fine with us doing that but after a few minutes she wanted to come back so kept skimming over the top of my head and sitting on the fence in front of me, I think she was saying thats enough, so we both moved away and mum settled into the nest. It has been another miserable day here but all is good and both parents are around, dad was around whilst we had a peek yesterday but he was sitting on my other neighbours ariel. Anyway they are happy with us being there, they are well used to us being around and quite close to them so they are happy and its good that we can keep an eye on them. Hopefully I will get a good view soon to see if we have one or two little dove chicks but for now im happy to know we have one healthy little chick, it has been so cold and wet I was worried the egg or eggs may not hatch.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:51 am

That's great news Littlewid, fingers crossed with the weather being so bad that the little chick is kept warm and cosy.

I definitely saw 4 of our 5 pheasant chicks yesterday, Mrs hen pheasant stands on the lawn like a lollipop lady keeping watch while the chicks run from under the acer to the food. I am hoping I just missed seeing the 5th and that they are all still safe. The other night we had 4 herons What a Face  normally I would say that's fantastic but at the moment they are not welcome with the chicks being in the garden.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:33 am

Great news LW, hopefully the warmer weather will help the parents ensure the chick (or chicks) survive. It would seem that there is a definite surge in the Collared Dove population in your part of the world!!! Will the parents return again to the same nest area next year or is this year a one off?

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Oh Safariman, I am really hoping that the parents return next year, all being well with them. They seem to have been so settled in this tree and to use it four times must say something don't you think. It is sheltered for them and their are other trees and bushes around and the fences etc for the little chicks to practice their flying before they leave. They haven't been bothered by other birds and whether this is just me hoping this is the case but I think the parents have enjoyed me and my neighbour being around, they really are quite settled with us. Also mum and dad are leaving the nest for little periods but they sit on my neighbours ariel which is opposite to my garden and they have a direct view into the nest, so really its an ideal place for them to return to, hopefully.
I have been keeping an eye today and I am certain there are two chicks, if not this chick has a tail sticking out from his side! So it does look as though two hatched, so mum and dad would have raised eight chicks this summer, thats some going and yes, definitely increasing the collared Dove population round here cheers 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Fingers X Lai you still have 5 chicks, but 4 Herons thats not good news. Glad you last lot of eggs have hatched, and also fingers X with this milder weather we are now having they will get to fledge successfully. I should think after 4 lots of hatchings your Doves feel more than safe in your garden, and will return next year hopefully. Collered Dove are one of the most successful Birds since they were intoduced to the UK over 50 yrs ago.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:03 pm

5 chicks counted and checked yesterday on my return, they all ran out in front of me Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 71418  I've just sent the heron packing again Very Happy 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 768480 Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 768480 Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 768480 Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 768480
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:02 pm

http://i73.servimg.c Thats brilliant news Lai, great you've just seen the Heron off, but it seems as though they are doing OK when your away.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 am

Pete is also on the case of the herons Laughing  still 5 going from strength to strength - funny little things that can now fly for a short burst Very Happy 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Thats brilliant that you still have 5 chicks Lai and how wonderful they all came to greet you on your return, that must have been lovely and also seeing them start to fly must be so special. Glad Mr Heron is being kept at bay and brilliant that Pete is on the case as well Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 33 768480 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Well my little Dove chicks are doing really well, although this evening it is actually pouring really hard with rain but they are in their nest and the tree has large leaves so hopefully they are staying fairly dry. I dont think they will be around for long, they can fly now and yesterday when I got home they were with mum and flying from fence to fence in the garden. It was quite really because mum has really had all four of her clutches learning to fly in the same way and building up their confidence, I think thats another sign that she is happy with her nest site and may just return next year. The chicks have been so lovely to watch and its quite sad that these will be the last of the year but I also think these two have been the most confident. Yesterday it was so lovely to see them exercising their wings in the nest and getting the confidence for take off. I reckon the tree will soon be empty.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 35 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next