Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby Beavers in Scotland

5 posters

Go down

Baby Beavers in Scotland Empty Baby Beavers in Scotland

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:50 pm

Great news for the re introduction of beavers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-10951209
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Baby Beavers in Scotland Empty Re: Baby Beavers in Scotland

Post  littlewid Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:58 pm

PPH that is wonderful, how exciting as well that they have had kits so soon after the reintroduction programme, Oooo I wished I lived nearer to be able to get to see them. TB do you live anywhere near enough for a sighting?
Thanks alot for posting that PPH, hopefully the beaver population will begin to thrive.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:09 pm

I wish I could go and see them too as this is a great success for the re introduction program Very Happy Very Happy
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:14 pm

It would be wonderful wouldn't it PPH, sadly like me you are a long way from Scotland, the only ones maybe near enough are TB, Doogs and littletoto. However it is a great success as you say for the re-introduction programme, I hope members of the public will give the Kits time to settle and grow a little before they are invaded by lots of Beaver lovers......still wished i could see them though Very Happy
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:07 pm

How fantastic - i just love beavers. Wow, worth a visit maybe? We really enjoyed our trip to Scotland this year (a long long drive though even from here) so perhaps next year in the spring.

Thanks for the link PPH - great news for today Baby Beavers in Scotland 853843

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 pm

A Brilliant find PPH a big thanks for putting it on the forum. How fantastic that they have produced Kits so soon after being reintroduced. It just goes to show how adaptable Animals are given the chance. Lets hope there is more news on how the Beavers are doing.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Wrong side of the country for me,I live where the big sporting estates are,they would probably have been shot if they were over here sadly.Anything that might upset a grouse or a salmon is vermin and is exterminated on the spot.In recent years seals,eagles,kites,crows ,harriers,magpies,buzzards have all been either trapped,poisoned or shot,Sea Eagles with transmitters just vanish.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:08 pm

scratch Surely a Hunter with a gun upsets Grouse perhaps they should be exterminated. Imagine the outcry
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:15 pm

whitestarling wrote: scratch Surely a Hunter with a gun upsets Grouse perhaps they should be exterminated. Imagine the outcry
WS

Funnily enough I suggested that as a conservation method on another forum.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Sounds like a good conservation method to me. Thank heavens these lovely little beavers arent your side of town then TB. lets hope they are left alone to grow up and enjoy a beavers life.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Another beaver released in Scotland
26/09/2010 23:02:42 The beaver story 17 released, 7 died and 2 born

September 2010. The Scottish Beaver Trial team has released a new male beaver to partner a lone female as part of the five-year trial reintroduction of beavers to Knapdale Forest in Mid-Argyll. The male, who was captured in Norway by colleagues at Telemark University College, brings the number of resident wild beavers in Scotland to 12, including two recently born kits.

The Trial, which is a partnership project between the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland (RZSS), the Scottish Wildlife Trust and host partner Forestry Commission Scotland, aims to determine how beavers will prosper in Scottish habitats and to assess their effect on the current Scottish environment by monitoring them over the five-year trial period.

Released onto loch with female beaver
The two-year old male was released by project staff at the loch where the lone female beaver has settled. Prior to release the immediate area was marked with the male's scent to encourage the female to welcome the new arrival and to stimulate interest in her future mate. The male was released directly from his transportation crate on to the loch and project staff are now monitoring his movements closely.

Present at the release and now hoping that romance will blossom was SBT's Project Leader, Roisin Campbell-Palmer, who said: "This male is at an age where he would naturally disperse from his family group in search of a breeding partner so we are really hopeful that this arranged introduction will be the start of a very happy relationship.

Lodge building hoped for
"Over the next few weeks we would hope that there will be clear signs of acceptance as the pair get to know each other. Although breeding won't take place this year, we hope they will build a lodge together which would be a good sign that they intend to remain together and potentially breed."

On a recent visit to the project site, RZSS's patron, HRH The Princess Royal, was given an insight into the impact these once native mammals have already had on their local environment, from lodge building to dam creation.

2 breeding pairs
Simon Jones, SBT Project Manager said: "With the recent news that two of our beaver pairs have bred, we have high hopes that this new pairing will settle in, get on well and add to the beaver population in Knapdale, but we have no guarantees that the relationship will be smooth sailing.

"Introducing a new beaver to another beaver's established territory, even if it is that of one single female, could cause some disputes. We hope, possibly after some tail slapping and signs of natural caution, our female will follow her breeding instincts and pair with the suitable male.

"We have already seen changes that the existing beavers have made on the forest and lochs of the area and by establishing a further breeding beaver pair we hope to see a true measure of their impact in coming years."
The independent scientific monitoring of the Trial's beavers is being undertaken by Scottish Natural Heritage, and it is their final report at the Trial's conclusion, that will help to decide the long term future for beavers in Scotland.

Twenty-five European countries have already reintroduced beavers back into the wild. Beavers are a native species to the UK and were once a common sight before they were hunted to extinction by man in 16th century. Beavers are known as a keystone species; they bring many benefits to wetland environments and improve habitats for many other animals including invertebrates, birds and otters.

The male was released following permission granted by the Scottish Government that allowed a replacement beaver to join the lone female and create a new breeding pair after her previous partner died. Prior to release, the male underwent quarantine and an in-depth health assessment to ensure he was healthy, free of disease and fit for release. Having complied with all the necessary importation checks, he was transported from Edinburgh Zoo before being released into one of the four occupied lochs in Knapdale Forest.

I thought this would give an update on the Beaver situation in Scotland

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: