Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond

+4
Safari Maiden
littlewid
whitestarling
Laikipia
8 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 Empty Re: Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond

Post  whitestarling Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:14 am

Zebras meet Hyenas at Petes Pond SA
NB: There are no disturbing images in these videos
3 Zebras walk into a pack of Hyenas at Petes Pond, at first they seem unconcerned

But as they finish their drink, you can see that they start to become a bit wary, and nervous

This is only a short clip, as the Hyenas start to harass the Zebra, but if you listen carefully you can hear the Zebras hooves as they make a run for it

Lucky for the Zebras, they must have got clean away, as the Hyenas soon returned for drinks, and a cooling splash at the pond, but it was really tense there for a time

WS

Last edited by whitestarling on Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  radhu Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:41 am

hyenas!! for sum reason i don like them Sad

everywhere is see them as a culprit stealing sum1s food or killing sum1s baby !!
radhu
radhu

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:11 pm

I know what you mean Radhu, thats how I used to feel about Hyena's but I hve slowly been warming to them and they only do what comes naturally as do all the other animals but like you it still doesn't mean I like it, I have just about got my head round them doing it.

Loved all those clips WS nd if your not careful your going to become our nightime camerman Very Happy Loved seeing the Jackal and the clips of the Zebra and Hyena's was just fantastic but as you say tense for a bit. I loved the fact that the bird stayed in the middle of the pond all the time and then at the end up swam two ducks, just brilliant and it really is lovely to see the night life at the pond.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Thanks WS - that confused me, I watched two clips first thing and then they moved scratch I've caught up with them all now, so thanks for sharing. Interesting to see the zebs and hyena. Hyena may not be popular animals but they are fascinating to watch and have very cute looking young.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:17 am

Sorry Lai. I wanted to put all the clips together so it told the whole story. I dont mind being the night cam person LW. I've missed watching them, and it's better than watching X Factor Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 40683 I will reply on Hyenas later Rahdu, they really are so important to the eco system, and are often missunderstood.
No Vids tonight, but a few pics from this morning

A Steenbok having a wary drink at the Pond, dont know if its the same one from last night.
Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 310

Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 410
and this little brown job, not sure what it is, but it looks like one of our Sparrows
Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 119

Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 215

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:22 am

Nice photos WS. Sorry can't ID the bird def an LBJ Laughing

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Lovely pictures there WS and really quite clear as well cheers The little bird does look like a Sparrow but I really don't know what it is either.
Glad your up for the night cam duty Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 768480 your right it is better than X-Factor Wink

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:02 am

Our friend the Steenbok's back for a regular night time drink
Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 Pp10
Another Saddleback Stork, looks like the one at NK Africam
Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 Pp310

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks WS. Those are both very clear photos. Lovely to see the Steenbok, not an animal I know.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:26 am

I'd not heard of them before Lai, just checked up on them.
They are a very small Antelope, and live singularly, although males, and females will live in the same area, they only come together to mate. They are a recent arrival in Petes Pond area. This is their known distribution area.
There are two distinct clusters in steenbok distribution. In East Africa, it occurs in central and southern Kenya and Tanzania. It was formerly widespread in Uganda,[2] but is now possibly extinct there. In southern Africa, it occurs in Angola, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe and probably Lesotho.
You can see how small they are from this Video of a Male taken this morning, he reminds me of Bambi, just look at the size comparison to the Guinea Fowl behind him
Video 1min length

I got a bit carried away with the web cam this morning. I got up with
Mrs S at 6-00am as she was on work, and thought I'd have a quick look at the cam. affraid Turned into 2Hrs nearly.
First it was the INVASION of the GUINEA FOWL

One minute there were none, and then there were hundreds

Then when it had all calmed down, and the Guinea Fowl, had gone it was
Elephant time a Mother, and her Calf came in for a drink

Think I'm hooked on the cam again, after neglecting them for ages. It's great to see, and hear the sounds of Africa, last thing at night, and first thing in the morning
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks WS. I've just a look and they are also known as Steinbok (which I have heard off but hadn't made the connection Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 615959 )

What an amazing number of Guinea Fowl, definitely safety in numbers there, and wonderful to see the ele and her baby.

You're right, we've been very lax with the cams, but only so many hours in a day scratch

Thanks for keeping us in touch.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Suggestion I'll concentrate on the African Cams. You, and Doogs can look out for Blog, and FB updates. LW can keep an eye out for British Wildlife, and Pet stories. Plus any other favourites you have. Then we can all keep in touch with different things.. Let me know what you think Guys
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:44 pm

That sounds like a good idea to me WS, that way we are covering all angles and hopefully not missing anything. Although as a whole we are all interested on most sections of this Forum we all have different tastes and preferences so it will then be up to each individual to decide what they want to read, comment on and update where applicable.

Doogs Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:15 pm

I Agree mostly in principal WS although we may still overlap as I do like British wildlife as well Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 853843

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Yes Lai, of course we'll all pick up different things, that overlap, and thats great. I just thought that I have more time than anyone else to look at cams, and I can put on things like vids & pics that will only take others a few mins to catch up on. You, and Doogs seem to get the Blog updates quicker than me or LW, and that saves us time looking for them. LW is great, at finding news stories online about wildlife, and British wildlife. It's not meant to be rigid, just that if we know others are checking particular areas, and we dont have time, then we know we wont miss much. But of course if we have the time, and find things then we can post them as well. It was with you saying, enough hours in the day that made me think.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:54 pm

That little Steenbok/steinbok is gorgeous and your right, he does look a little like Bambi and they are small aren't they when you look at him compared to the Guinea Fowl.
Where did all those Guinae Fowl come from scratch it reminded me of a scene out of the Mara.......the Wildie crossing, it was simply amazing to see WS. Nice to see the Mother Elephant and her calf too and your right, that bird is the same kind as the one on the other vids with the hyena's. Listening to the sounds on the cams really does make you realise how beautiful the African sounds are.
Thanks for getting up so early and staying up late WS cheers

Sharing the bits and pieces sounds good to me, I know we all try with the different sections and I will admit I am the worst for remembering to check the Blogs and African stuff, I do home in on the British Wildlife, pets and other animals of the world and that probably is because although I do love all the sections on here I am just like a lot of other members, I have my favourites.

I see what everyone is saying and I think it's a good idea to have us covering different things because then our searching is individualy going to be reduced, leaving us more time on here for commenting or for home.
I also agree that it doesn't stop us searching and posting other things if we wish, I am more than happy to search British Wildlife, pet stories and other animals of the world and be responsible for them but I know Lai is a big British wildlife lover too and will come across stories I haven't and thats what it's all about, trying to make sure the areas are covered on a regular basis but knowing we can relax about other areas that may not be our 100% hot potato but if we come across something we want to post a new thread about or update with news we have come across we can.
Makes sense to me and i'm glad WS has opted for the early and late cam duty shift.....Phew Very Happy

I also think it's great that Prin* has taken on updating us regularly on our Leopard cubs and if any other member wants to take on something on a regular basis I am sure we would all be happy for them to do so.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Glad you agree LW, at least when we only have a little time we can go online, and look for our favourites to post on the forum knowing others are looking at all the other things, and when we have more time we can still look at the other areas, and post ourselves. I did'nt mean to pick areas for anyone, they were just suggestions. So everyone pick their own. Lai you could always do British as well if you wanted.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:45 am

A quiet night tonight, but the good news is Bonnie & Clyde still hang out at the pond. Tonight they seemed to be having a chat with the female Steenbok
Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 Pp13
Finaly seen what causes all the splashes we hear in the Pond. Big Cat Fish
Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 Pp110
and a lone Hyena coming in for a drink
Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 Pp210

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 am

Thanks WS - a good idea and as you say we can all chip in with bits and pieces.

Some days I can check the cams and some days I can't :What: just the way it goes.

Great to see Bonnie & Clyde still there at Pete's pond, and a large looking cat fish too, always enjoy seeing hyenas despite their reputation.

Thanks WS.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Cool everyone, between us we've got things covered Wink

Your comment LW "I do home in on the British Wildlife, pets and other animals of the world" just shows how the same but different we all are (which is a good thing for the forum) as I would be looking at the African stuff and blogs before anything else, the opposite to you.

Good to see Bonnie and Clyde WS and great capture of the lone Hyena cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:59 pm

Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 768480 Sorted then Guys
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Great pictures from last night WS and I am really pleased that Bonnie & Clyde are still there......Petes Pond would not be the same without them Very Happy That is a rather huge cat fish, no wonder the splashes can sound rather loud at times and I too m pleased to see the hyena as well, I really have grown to like these animals over a period of time and understand their importance on the habitat.

Good we have all angles covered guy's cheers and great we're all different in our love of what attracts us first Doogs.......it makes for an interesting forum but at least we all have the same passion.......Animals Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 768480

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:13 am

Lovely morning at PP this morning. A family of Jackals were playing, it looked like they were playing tag, it was really fun watching them, they had'nt a care in the world.
Video length 1min

Video Length 1min 20 sec

Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 Pp14

Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 Pp111

WS

Last edited by whitestarling on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Those are two lovely videos WS, they really do look as though they were just having fun chasing around and it did remind me of a game of tag Very Happy It is always so nice to see animals just having fun Wildcam Africa - Pete's Pond - Page 12 768480

Loved the two pictures, especially the second one I love you

Thanks a lot WS

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Two lovely clips WS. Wonderful to see the jackal cubs playing. Also loved the Guinea Fowl making a noise in the background and the 'drink lager' or 'work harder' bird. Depends on which you think it is saying Laughing

Great photos as well. Thanks WS.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next