Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planet Earth Live

+4
littlewid
whitestarling
Doogs
Laikipia
8 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Planet Earth Live - Page 3 Empty Re: Planet Earth Live

Post  Laikipia Fri May 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 853843 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 853843 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 853843 how exciting was that?

Can we chat yet ? silent

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri May 11, 2012 4:54 pm

I wanna speak too but not sure if WS has seen it yet scratch .......we could always tell him not to look lol!

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri May 11, 2012 5:04 pm

................................................. What a Face

WS - have you seen it yet? We're itching to albino albino albino

Lai lion cub
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri May 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Have I seen what Guys scratch :What: Dont tell me I've missed something important confused
WS

Ps Go for it Gang watched it late last night Planet Earth Live - Page 3 40683 Brilliant
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri May 11, 2012 6:35 pm

............................. Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418 Planet Earth Live - Page 3 71418

back later to chat - things to do just now.

Lai albino
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri May 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Me to Lai, loads to chat about, and go through. Cant believe the news about Tamu cheers cheers , and some old clips from BCD
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat May 12, 2012 9:47 am

I Agree WS. It was just the best news ever to know that Jackson ID'd her as Tamu - she is such a star and it was great to see an old Simon King clip of her. I just so hope she and Moja survive the lean time they are having in the Mara at the moment.

I thought the programme was much better this time, obviously being an hour they were able to cover more but they seemed to give longer to the clips and less of the inane chat! All the wildlife they are covering is so interesting, whether it's the whales, the bears, the eles, the meerkats, the giant otters or of course the lions, missed the monkeys sorry and probably more ......

Jackson needs more air time, in my opinion, he's wasted just standing there so let's hope RH goes out in the daytime with him and we see more clips.

I'm really looking forward to Sunday and seeing how the programme moves forward.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat May 12, 2012 3:00 pm

I agree about Jackson Lai, he is so knowledgable and a superior tracker and guide plus he has excellent presenting skills and he is being wasted at the moment, they seem to be using him as if he is just one of the locals being asked for a two second input. They should really use him to his full potential, it wont be taking the limelight way from RH it would be enhancing the programme.

I am loving the whole thing but I must admit it made me cry about the grey whales the other night, that was so sad but to see the Beluga Whales coming to their rescue was just out of this world and then staying around as if mouring the calf, spectacular and sad all in one.

Loved, loved, loved the Meerkats and who just amazing they are following the Whiskers, that just tops it all and when the little pup came right up to his hand, what a moment that must have been for him, can't wait to see more.

Massive smile on my face when Jackson announced it was Tamu, and how fantastic to see the clips of her, I so remember that male lion attack, it was horrible but how brave was Tamu. Can't wait to see more of her and Moja.

Just love this programme
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun May 13, 2012 12:40 am

Have'nt got time now to comment, but check out J&A's Blog on the subject of PEL
May 7th & May 12th posts
http://www.jonathanangelascott.com/travel_club/wordpress/

WS

whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun May 13, 2012 9:20 am

It is pretty scathing isn't it WS. Jonathan is right, it's not BCD and it's not David Attenborough and in the true sense it's not LIVE, only the presenters and I am sure that with the whole Big Cat crew there must be a sense of annoyance that all this money is being spent on PEL when BCD was dropped due to funding and now the BBC has commissioned this programme which goes against the grain with everything that the BCD team and the NHU worked so hard for.

For us the viewer, sadly BCD has gone and it looks as though it will never return, so all we can do, for better or worse, is to take what we are given and make the best of it. Yes the presenting is not as good, it is not truely live, Jackson is more expert than they are allowing him to be but we are getting to see the animals and we have got to see Tamu whom we thought we would never see again, it has been forever since Dr Lynn was involved in a bear programme but we have been able to see the bears again that we know, we would not have seen the Grey Whale migration or the family of otters, luckily the Meerkats have a role on wildearth and our lovely Cheetah mum and cubs on Africam but we would be missing so much without PEL and a lot of us thought we would never see the Whiskers again, only in repeats of Meerkat Manor, but we are now able to see them again.

For me, BCD is the best but for now, I will just enjoy PEL for what it is and for all the wonderful animals I am able to see but I do appreciate Jonathans frustration and the worry that programmes like BCD will not be made again.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun May 13, 2012 9:45 am

Sorry WS just posted an update on J & A's blog re your link.

I agree with Littlewid - sadly if this is all there is then I will watch it as I love all wildlife and any opportunity to catch glimpses of it is better than nothing for me.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Sun May 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Something is better than nothing.

I do actually think for the rest of our lives little bits of us will always crave to have Big Cat Diary back on our screens but we have to be realistic and we all know there is little chance of that hapening Crying or Very sad So I too will take this programme, with its good bits, its bad bits and just enjoy it for what it is. We have seen some great shots of meerkats, whales, bears, monkeys (what about little Gremlin getting whacked across the nose on Thursday, bless him I love you ) but of course just seeing some of our precious lions in the Mara has been great.

Much, much debate on FB about whether Tamu is actually our Tamu it's all very scratch and to be fair there has been good cases for and against - totally confusing Planet Earth Live - Page 3 615959

It's nearly 8pm, looking forward to tonights programme . . . . . :)
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Sun May 13, 2012 8:13 pm

I'm mutli-tasking - watching PEL & posting on here !!! From FB :-

BBC Planet Earth Live

Moja’s mystery mum

So...while lions identify each other by smell, we usually rely on markings. For lions, they have a unique set of whisker spots, just like the human fingerprint.
But, sometimes the difference can be very subtle and it seems like Moja’s mum might actually not be who we thought she was. A few of you have pointed this out already, and huge thank you for that. We've been re-analysing all of the footage to see if this is definitely the case and if she is in fact another female that we already know. She could also be a lioness we’ve never met before.

More details to follow soon... !

The plot thickens . . . . . . scratch
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun May 13, 2012 10:26 pm

It certainly does thicken Doogs. When they showed the two photos the other night, Jacksons did look a bit blury on the spots but they did seem to appear to be in the same place. Suppose we will just have to wait and see now but they seem determined to give her a name this evening so I am more confused, I thought they would wait until they were sure if it was Tamu or not.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon May 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Suggested a name on FB, as WAA of Jasiri meaning Brave in Swahili, for Moja's Mum
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon May 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Such a shame to learn it isn't Tamu but Jackson was brave doing a live ID and must have felt pretty confident. At least the BBC didnt try to stick with the theory that it was Tamu.

I enjoyed last night's programme, and thought RH and JB were good, poor Richard has had to tone down his genuine enthusiasm which is a shame but the content of the programme was fantastic.

If only the BBC hadn't gone on an on about it being 'live' i feel sure there would have been much less criticism.

Great name for the mystery lioness WS - Jasiri has a nice ring to it. Well done for the suggestion.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon May 14, 2012 1:42 pm

I Agree it is a shame it's not Tamu but I'm glad they've admitted they got it wrong and we can now give this lovely lioness a name. Like your suggestion of Jasiri WS, good one - mine was Endesha which is Swahili for steer, lead, guide. She is certainly a good hunter Like a Star @ heaven which is just as well for her and little Moja. Although things are tough at the moment the migration will be starting soon and the supermarket will be open shortly for a good feed !!! Laughing

I also enjoyed last nights show, good footage and things definitely seemed to be toned down a bit my Mr H !

Good to see them treating the Elephant behind in Samburu although there was hairy moments just before she went down getting her little one out of the way. Hopefully the antibiotics they have given her will help.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon May 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Warren Samuels (@BigCatWarren) has just Tweeted:‏

"Our little newborn calf Miya has just had a harrowing experience @ the river ! My heart was in my mouth" affraid
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon May 14, 2012 2:38 pm

affraid - going for a look ............ those eles in Samburu are wonderful, but I agree about the tiny one, I thought it was going to be squashed!

Another great name Doogs - Endesha is very appropriate. Think how much Swahili we will learn with this naming!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon May 14, 2012 7:52 pm

A good explanation from the BBC re the mistaken identity of Moja's mum (who isn't Tamu)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00qj06z/features/wrong-by-a-whisker

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon May 14, 2012 9:35 pm

That is a good article and at least we are all clear now it's not Tamu. Here we have another brave mum who is doing the utmost for her cub.

Loving both those names, good luck to you both Planet Earth Live - Page 3 768480

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon May 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks Lai. As you say a good explanation as to how the mistake occured, and a natural one, but if anyone would know if it was Tamu, it would have been Simon
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Mon May 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Looks like tonight we here in the states are gonna get caught up in one night. We have 3 hours of 24/7 Wild tonight beginning at 7 with a recap of the only episode we've seen so far, then 2 new shows we haven't seen yet. I'm sure it will be good but from what I've seen around the web it doesn't do the BBC NHU justice. I'm not as excited as I was when I first heard about it but hopefully now that my expectations aren't as high I will be pleasantly surprised.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon May 14, 2012 11:34 pm

I'm sure you'll enjoy it Ronnie. I think like the rest of us you'll take the good bits. The footage of all the different animals, and their characters. The problem for us here in the UK is the Beeb promoted it as Live, and the only live bits really is the presenters, but as you are playing catchup in the States it wont bother you as much.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue May 15, 2012 8:23 am

As WS says Ronnie the footage of all the animals is wonderful and it's amazing to learn about them all, it's just that it was sold as being 'live'.

Enjoy it cheers

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next