Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planet Earth Live

+4
littlewid
whitestarling
Doogs
Laikipia
8 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Planet Earth Live - Page 4 Empty Re: Planet Earth Live

Post  RMorr50912 Tue May 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Hey everyone. Though they are not billing our version as live they are saying all the footage was filmed within 24 hours of the show. Despite the fact that that certainly is not the case it was still good. Finally getting to see everything so far that I've seen around the web was great. I'm not familiar with the presenter, and he does an ok job, but I really wonder why on a project like this they weren't able to get their "A" team, Johnathan, Simon, etc. I think that probably is my biggest complaint which is really not that big of a deal. The camera work is truly spectacular as is expected from BBC or Nat Geo documentaries. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue May 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Many thanks for that link Lai, very interesting read. Good old Simon confirming things, he really does know his lions Very Happy

Glad to hear you're liking the show so far Ronnie - there has been many good clips and a lot of interesting information on it. It's heartbreaking at times watching these mums trying to bring up their little ones, the animal kingdom is a tough place to grow up pale

Well the short list has been drawn up to name Moja's mum, this is from Sara (Mara Predator Project) on FB:

TO THE GUIDES: Naming the Lioness

Guides who visit this page: we need a second name for the lioness we thought was Tamu, who has the cub Moja. We've looked at her whisker spots and she isn't the original Tamu.

The top suggestion was MOYO which means heart and courage.

The other suggestions are:

HODARI – means brave, capable and clever
JABARI – brave, courageous
LINDA – to watch over/protect – (it’s also an English girl name)
LEW – suggested to commemorate a young boy who is ill
NYOTA – star, luch, faith
IMARA – strong and persistent

Now I must confess there is a name on there that quite excites me. I did suggest Endesha as Moja's mum (really liked it) but I also suggested Hodari (proof below !) but thought hundreds of people would also suggest that (probably did) so we shall wait and see what they come up with tomorrow. Out of that list, apart from Hodari, I like Jabari. Don't particularly like Moyo as it's too like Moja !

Planet Earth Live - Page 4 Hodari10
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue May 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks for info on the names Doogs, great find I'd missed that. Like you not fussed on Moyo, as you said to much like Moja. I like Jabri, and Hodari as I suggested Jasiri which also means brave.
Glad your enjoying it so far Ronnie, and the presenter was a bit of a scratch given the money the invested in the programe, you would have though they would have gone for a name
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue May 15, 2012 11:43 pm

So sorry WS, that was so rude of me not to check back on your suggestion to see if it was also on the list and I'll admit to not remembering as I've a memory like a sieve at the moment Embarassed

How fantastic that out of over 11,000 names suggestions (last time I looked) we've suggested 2 names on the short list of 7, that's pretty darn good if you ask me !! Wink Fingers crossed one of our names get chosen for Moja's mum, that would be rather cool Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed May 16, 2012 8:24 am

WOW Well done Doogs and WS - great suggestions. I saw the list Sarah posted yesterday and can't wait for the result. I agree that Moyo is too similar to Moja and we'll all get confused :What: I love the suggestions cheers and am sorry I never got to put in one - amazing that over 11,000 people did.

Fingers crossed Doogs Planet Earth Live - Page 4 431638

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed May 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Now I've realised I'm cracking up as well !! - don't know why this has been so confusing for me scratch but WS's suggestion of Jasiri not on the list Embarassed but it does mean the same as Hodari. Apologies Planet Earth Live - Page 4 615959

For anyone on Twitter the BBC Planet Earth team have been tweeting fairly regularly and also posting pictures, worth following. Their twitter name is:
@BBCPlanetEarth

Doogs

Last edited by Doogs on Wed May 16, 2012 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed May 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks Doogs - I'm on Twitter but always forget with so much going on ...

Going for a look now.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed May 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Congratulations on getting your name on the list Doogs, thats really exciting and fingers crossed. Sorry yours isn't on the list WS, I thought that was a good name and would have made the list. Lets now wait and see what name is chosen.

Glad you are enjoying the programme Ronnie. I'm not that bothered it's not live, it would have been lovely but hats the way it is and the time difference in Kenya would not really have made it possible, so i'm just grabbing all the wildlife I can and loving it.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 17, 2012 8:33 am

Really enjoyed last night's show - too short, but lovely clips with Warren and great to see RH out and about with Jackson. Much more interesting I thought and also wonderful to see JB with Dr Lynn.

Looking forward to tonight - cheers

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu May 17, 2012 12:51 pm

I Agree Lai, another good show but the ½ hour programme is just far too short !! The programmes are definitely getting better as they go along.

A real affraid moment with the little Elephant behind in the water, thankfully everything worked out well, phew.

Great to see little Ernesto surviving the snake bite, what a little Like a Star @ heaven

Roll on tonight . . . . . .
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu May 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Fm Sara, Mara Predator Project via Facebook : Moja's mum called Nyota Very Happy Cool

Doogs lion cub

Last edited by Doogs on Fri May 18, 2012 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu May 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Thats a lovely name for her I think, really suits her.

Oh Doogs little Ernesto last night had me in floods of tears, I too was sure that was the end of him, especially when he lay down and then they cut away to the next day but to see him come home again was just too much, real blubbing, so much so it was hard to see the TV. What an amazing little Meerkat he is and I only hope now that he gets better and doesn't have too much trouble foraging and keeping up with his family and I wonder how the sight is in his eye. How lovely was it to see the guy who was filming them get so excited at his return as well, genuine fondness for him I believe.

The baby ele had me on the edge of my seat too, that could have been nasty. Loved the interview with Dr Lynn, I think JB is really good and RH is just getting more settled and better and I agree, it was good to see him out with Jackson, a hairy moment with the Buffs though.

Can't wait for tonights and it's an hour long bounce enjoy everyone.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu May 17, 2012 6:05 pm

I wondered what had happened to the Mara Predator Blog, thats another thats moved over to FB. Fb's good for quick updates, but you dont get the same info, or feeling that you do from a Blog, and I think its a shame Blogs are being given up for quick exposure on FB. Ernesto reminds me of Shakesphere fro Meerkat Manor fingers x he recorers like him
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri May 18, 2012 1:24 pm

I Agree WS but I suppose its better being there than not at all.

Moja and his mum Nyota were looking very thin last night, especially little Moja Crying or Very sad I hope Nyota manages to get a meal for the both of them soon. I must confess that is one thing that worries me about going to the Mara at the end of June, will I be seeing lots of thin cats ? Sad

Great to see the introduction of the Polar Bear family, most definitely tough & worrying times ahead for them pale Also good to see the Accacia Pride of lions in the Mara, looking forward to seeing more of them.

The Meerkats just make me :) every time I see them, they are amazing little animals.

Heart was in my mouth at the three little Elephant behind trying to cross that river, thank goodness it was a happy ending, so very nearly wasn't No

Great to see little Sybil starting to grow up and hold her own in the family cheers

Getting to think the hour programme is too short never mind the ½ hour one on the Wednesday !!! Laughing
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri May 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Loved the programme last night and agree that RH is settling into it now - all the updates were a bit affraid it makes you realise just how vulnerable these young animals are in May. Nyota is a lovely name and I just hope the two of them make it - with Notches genes (if it is confirmed) I am sure Moja will be a fighter.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri May 18, 2012 6:22 pm

I also thought RH, was a lot better last night, I think the presenters have had a lot of stick, when really it was the producers, and the whole concept of live that was at fault, if they had'nt of put so muh emphasis on the Live it would have been a lot better received I think. Wow those Elle babys affraid . Phew that was close. One thing I did notice they did'nt mention Ernesto on the Meerkats What a Face
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 pm

I Agree WS - the Beeb are too blame for the 'live' concept, the presenters are doing their best, neither having ever done anything remotely like this before.

Those little eles - I could hardly watch! Not sure about Ernesto I thought he was okay now?

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri May 18, 2012 10:18 pm

He did manage to get back to the Group, but he still looked very sick, and was still blind, at least in one eye. It did take Shakespere some time to recover, but I'm surprised they did'nt mention him. No news is good news I suppose
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri May 18, 2012 10:30 pm

WS I thought exactly the same, I know the little bit on the Whiskers last night was really about how they were used to the camermen and how they kept climbing on them which I thought was just lovely but I was hoping they were going to say something about Ernesto. I wonder if that was a clip already made just to show their acceptance of humans and made before Ernesto was bitten. Hopefully in the next episode they will update us about little Ernesto. You are right WS, it did take Shakespear a while to get over his snake bit and he too was bitten quite badly.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon May 21, 2012 1:12 pm

Another good show last night, shame it all ends this week Crying or Very sad

Great to get an update on Ernesto and that he is fine Very Happy

Happy to see little Gremlin escape without injury during the fight with the rival gang, shame that all the Macaque's weren't so fortunate Crying or Very sad
Here's a clip of the Macaque's watching themselves on TV !!! lol!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00swrtm

Never seen anyone get as close to Polar Bears like Gordon Buchanan did, albeit they were the cubs - amazing how they stuck so close to mum when she had been darted to get the collar on her Cool

Sooooo glad Nyota got a meal for her and Moja, they looked painfully thin last week so that was a very welcome warthog catch, she's a great hunter with the patience of a saint. Hopefully the herds will soon be arriving in the Mara with food for the big cats. How wonderful that Moja has Notch's genes in him :)

Lovely to hear Lily mentioned last night re her parting with Faith.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon May 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Great coverage last night and really enjoying following the bears. Can't wait for Gordon Buchanan's polar bear programme later in the year.

I really hope when you get out there Doogs, you'll be able to find Nyota and Moja and they'll be looking well fed.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon May 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Absolutely loved last nights programme and agree it was so nice to hear Lily and Faith being mentioned, after all it was Lily and Hope that got an awful lot of the world interested in the Black Bear, so it was only right Lily got a mention.

Can't wait either for Gordons programme on the Polar Bears at the end of the year, thats going to be wonderful.

Gremlin had me nearly having a fit last night, I was s relieved she was ok but they didn't mention her mum so I am hoping she is ok too, it was a worrying time. She is such the most adorable thing, I could watch a whole programme on her.

I too hope you get to see Nyota and Moja too Doogs, wouldn't that just be the best for you whilst you are there, fingers crossed it happens for you.

Brilliant to see Ernesto looking better and we need more on the Meerkats, their bit is far too short....a whole programme on them would be good too.

Looking forward to hearing more about the Grey Whale migration, that has been such an epic journey for them and so fraught with danger too.

All the eles have me gripped but Miya is just so tugging at my heart.

Does this really have to end? I wished it didn't.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon May 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Wouldn't it be great if we could have weekly or fortnightly updates?

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon May 21, 2012 5:53 pm

It really is ending to soon, and I thought Hammond was better again last night. He seems to be slowly growing into it now. Brilliant that Enesto seems on the road to recovery, also the Baby Elles are doing well, just hope the last lot get across the river safely. I was panicing a bit about Gremlin to it would be lovely to see how she gets on, a shame we're not going to be able to follow her. T least we've something to look forward to at the end of the year with Gordens Polar Bears.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue May 22, 2012 12:50 pm

I didn't realise there was a Gordon Buchanan / Polar Bear programme to be screened later in the year, that will definitely be one to look out for. I presume our mum & her cubs that are on PEL will also feature in his programme.

Did anyone watch the link in my last post with the Macaque's watching themselves on TV ? (you may have missed it due to my long speil !!) Laughing
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next