Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes

+2
Laikipia
Anne-Marie1981
6 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes Empty By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Wed May 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Well these gorgeous geese and goslings were first spotted on 18th May! They were very nervous on day 1, quickly taking to the water as soon as they spotted me (well I'm thinking it was more Millie)

Off I toodled up there again on 19th with the camera, only for them to be in hiding completely. Went without the camera on 20th, and low and behold ... who did I see!! Quickly whipped out my phone and captured these shots!

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m20

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m21

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m23

Will update more later Very Happy (just edited the dates as I think I got them wrong)(edited again as they were right the first time Embarassed )

Last edited by Anne-Marie1981 on Thu May 27, 2010 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes Empty Re: By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes

Post  Laikipia Wed May 26, 2010 2:12 pm

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 768480 This is going to be a great thread Anne-Marie, i love the photos so far.

Thanks for posting - looking forward to your updates.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes Empty Re: By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes

Post  littlewid Wed May 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Chief Goosewatcher, Thank You so much for starting this thread, it's going to be amazing I just know it. To be able to follow the family is really wonderful, I am so excited about it and grateful you have agreed to do this for us, it really is going to be a very popular thread and it's all down to you CG.
Loving the pics so far and the build up to the continuing daily lives of them all. Look forward to more news about this special family.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed May 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Brilliant AM It really will be great to see the family growing up, and it's really good of you to take the time, and trouble to let us all have a GANDER ( Sorry could'nt resisit it ) at whats happening
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu May 27, 2010 10:31 am

A gander, oh dear WS!! lol! I have to admit I did laugh though!!!

On to 21st May, parked up in the carpark as usual and headed to the smaller lake where the geese are, walked round the corner and just caught them sunning themselves on the bank!!

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m24

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m25

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m26

After these few snaps, I realised I couldn't stay with them for any longer so we carried on our walk. As we reached the other side of the lake, I could spot the little ones eating on the opposite bank, so we continued round back past the car park to where we started.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 am

I realised very quickly that they were scared of Millie, even though she sat and stayed while i took some snaps. So I found a nice sheltered spot for her and a post to wrap her lead round so I could take some snaps without disturbing them:

The smaller and younger of the two families.

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m27

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m28

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m29
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu May 27, 2010 10:46 am

The bigger and older family certainly seemed a bit more wary and quickly headed for the water when they spotted me (maybe they are just camera shy)

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m30

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m31

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m32

(more to follow later, boss has returned)
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 27, 2010 10:50 am

Those are some more gorgeous photos Anne-Marie. What an amazing collection of little goslings they have and they all look so well.

I think they are Greylag Geese :study: they must be so used to people (if not Millie) as you've got some great pics.

Oh and don't encourage WS - you know what's he's like with his humour lol!

Thanks for updating us By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 768480

Lai Very Happy
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu May 27, 2010 12:20 pm

(boss gone for lunch)

After the family took to the water, I headed round the otherside of the small lake (more like a large fish pond) and waited for them to venture out

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m33

and they decided to head straight back into the water

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m34

to meet the other little family

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m35
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu May 27, 2010 12:31 pm

They all then decided to get back out and feed together!!

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m36

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m37

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 20th_m38

Thats all for today, didn't have my camera up there over the weekend. Was all a bit rushed, they were about on both days though. I'm waiting for pictures off Mum's camera for Tuesday as she was on camera duty, so won't upload mine from yesterday until I have hers. Will be nice to have them in order.

I did mention in the other thread I think that I thought the older family had lost one gosling. However I am pleased to report all 12 were present and correct yesterday cheers
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 27, 2010 1:08 pm

That's great news that all 12 are still alive and well. It's also lovely to see both families together, i wonder if the goslings ever get all muddled up?

When they are marching towards the water they look so comical and focused just like kids walking crocodile to school.

Thanks for posting your photos and the updates - looking forward to the next lot.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu May 27, 2010 2:11 pm

What a really great selection of Photos AM Brilliant, it's great to see them all, as a family, and good news that there's still 12.Thanks for sharing them with us. Glad the Gander made you smile
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 pm

I've got a photobucket account with the photos on if anyone wanted to look

https://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/dancing_girl/Stanwick%20Lakes/

password is Annie
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 27, 2010 5:08 pm

Those are great Anne-Marie - i love the swan with its bottom in the air What a Face

Thanks for sharing them.

Lai Very Happy
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu May 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Sorry can't get away from Chief Goosewatcher What a Face

Just gorgeous pictures and I love the low down on whats happening. Lai asked the same question I was wondering, do they ever get muddled up!, there are so many of them and it's lovely they all seem to get on and brilliant news that the other chick is alive and well, two good news storys today.
Your doing us proud, I just love this thread and the pictures are stunning. I am going to have a look at your photobucket ones later, thanks for posting the link.
Look forward to the next update on Goosewatch Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu May 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Glad you all like them. They never seem to get confused with families. They must have a little radar. They are always in their family groups in the water. No sign of the little ones tonight which was a shame!

I'm away for the weekend now, so won't be able to get any snaps. I'll ask mum to take her camera up and to get some pictures if she sees them.

If I don't get chance to message before I hope everyone has a fantastic bank holiday weekend. cheers
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu May 27, 2010 10:11 pm

You have a lovely weekend too Anne-Marie and good to know that Chief Goosewatcher no.2 is on duty in your absence.
Have a lovely time in Newquay.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri May 28, 2010 8:43 am

Thanks Anne-Marie have a great weekend in Newquay - and no pressure on your mum at all Laughing for more lovely photos.

Good to hear that the goslings don't all get muddled up in the confusion.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:47 pm

The geese have been in hiding. However, we finally found them yesterday. They have moved lake and are well away from the path around the lakes. I'm wondering if they've been spooked. Will update with some piccies asap!!
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Look forward to pics later - i hope they havent been too spooked affraid

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:44 pm

I love this thread AM! Thanks for doing it for us.

The little ones are sweet and it sounds like you have had the run around your last few visit, keeping you on your toes!

It going to be great seeing them grow. Look forward to the next installment.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Ooooo I hope they are all ok and safe and well. Look forward to your next update and pics, just loving this thread Anne-Marie.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Just saw LW message in Lets Talk, I must confess I have no pictures of our little geese since last Wednesday. I was hoping to get some of Mum's that she took on the tuesday but she's slacking. Anyway, here are the ones from 26th when I got absolutely soaked taking them!! lol! lol!

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 26thMay2010006

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 26thMay2010005

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 26thMay2010011

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 26thMay2010009
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:27 pm

So worth you getting soaked I think Chief Goosewatcher Very Happy gorgeous pictures, thank you for giving us a smile this evening......and tell your mum, no pressure but can she hurry up lol! lol!
They are just so adorable, i can't get enough of seeing them. Thanks Anne-Marie.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Now on my last couple of visits up there, I have come across another couple of families of geese. I hope they haven't scared our ones off.

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 3rd_ju10

Yesterday, I spied some geese in the distance, where i had last seen out little families. So i treked over there in my flip flops and shorts, through the thistles (like you do) only to fine hundreds of other geese!

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 3rd_ju11

However on zooming over the other side of the lake, I think I may have spied our little families. Fingers crossed! I can't get round there though to check. I'm hoping they will make a proper re-appearance soon!!

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes 3rd_ju12
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next