Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes

+2
Laikipia
Anne-Marie1981
6 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 Empty Re: By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes

Post  littlewid Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:32 pm

Oooooo didn't realis you were posting them as well, hundreds of geese Very Happy but I am so pleased you found our original families and so hoping they make another appearance soon. They must all kind of get along though to live in such close proximity of each other, hers hoping you get to see them really soon......and thanks for trecking in the thistles in your flip flops and shorts......thats why we made you Chief Goosewatcher.......real determination Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 Empty Re: By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Wonderful update and photos Anne-Marie - thanks. And so worth it in flips flops and shorts affraid well done you Shocked Laughing

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:24 am

THE GEESE ARE BACK!!!!

And guess who didn't have her camera lol! I also forgot my phone as well, but borrowed my dad's on my way. I will wait for him to send me the pictures Very Happy

We have a full quota of goslings still plus they have another family with them that has 3 babies!!
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:49 am

Brilliant news Anne-Marie and typical that they are back and you didnt have your camera affraid

Look forward to seeing the photos later, and great news that there are more goslings.

Lai Very Happy
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:13 am

cheers cheers Thats really good news AM. Glad you found them, and they are all OK. Shame about the camera, I bet you could have kicked yourself lol!
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:44 am

Well its just typical isn't it! Haven't seen them since 26th May! Decided not to take the camera because the sky was looking very ominous ... hmffff! Camera is coming out whatever the weather tonight!!
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:26 am

Blinking geese are back in hiding! Typical. Camera shy lot.

However one of the swans definately has a newly hatched cygnet. Might do swan watch as well :)
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:58 am

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 768480 Swan watch would be great - as for the Geese and the goslings lol! it's always the way Rolling Eyes hopefully they'll come out of hiding soon.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:58 pm

So glad they are all there Anne-Marie and all cygnets are present and correct, just wonderful.....shame they went into hiding.....don't they know they are stars of wildaboutanimals....silly lot.

Swan watch.......Oh yes please......you put yourself up for that one....nicely done Anne-Marie, look forward to the pics when you have time to post them.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:57 pm

Not very good pics I'm afraid but this was from the last sighting of our geese families on 9th June.

As you can see we have an extra family in there Very Happy
By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 Mobile10

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 Mobile11
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Still lovely to see them and great that there's another family lol!

thanks for posting

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Never mind the quality it's the quantity that counts, and your keeping us updatd on all the families which is great
Thanks AM
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Goosewatch returns!!! cheers cheers cheers

Three families, all present and correct!!

Family with 7 babies!!
By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 16thJune2010025

Family with 12 babies!
By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 16thJune2010024

New family with 3 babies!
By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 16thJune2010023

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 16thJune2010021

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 16thJune2010016

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 16thJune2010015

Plus a little video! I hope it works!!
By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 Th_16thJune2010017
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:06 pm

They really have grown up so much!! I'm not sure how much longer they will stay with Mum and Dad! They are almost the same size and colouring is now almost identical! It really has been a pleasure to follow them!! And I feel so lucky to have been able to do so, and to finally see them again when I have the camera!!!

Thank you to everyone for suggesting Goosewatch!!!
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:10 pm

No it's a big Thank You to you Anne-Marie for doing it, you have been brilliant.

I am so pleased you managed to capture them and another little family as well and the video was lovely to see, just clicked the picture and up came the video, just brilliant. I will miss these little guys when they leave mum and dad, your right, they have grown haven't they.

Thanks Anne-Marie

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Wonderful to see all those little goslings - thanks so much for all the photos Anne-Marie.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:31 am

The geese were once again about yesterday, although sadly one of them has a bad leg and really struggled to get down to the water. So sad, I hope it gets better!!

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 17thJune2010035

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 17thJune2010036

Another video
By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 Th_17thJune2010037

By popular demand ... Goosewatch ... from Stanwick Lakes - Page 2 17thJune2010038
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 am

Boy they have gotten really big AM and so many of they too.

I love the video clips you are getting really techy. Brilliant!

Wonder when they will become independent of mum and dad?

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:51 am

It must be soon because they are nearly the same size, in fact when it comes to counting them its hard to tell them apart from Mum and Dad sometimes. I think I'll go look that one up.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:55 am

In the UK, greylag geese breed from the beginning of April to May, laying usually 5 – 8 eggs in a large nest amongst floating vegetation or hidden in reeds. The incubation period is about 28 days and, unlike many species of waterfowl, the male goose or gander stays with the family group. Geese, in fact, have a more cohesive family unit than ducks and both parents guard the goslings against attacks from other birds or predatory mammals. The greylag family continues to remain together throughout the year and will migrate from their wintering grounds as a group within a larger flock. Only when the adult birds are ready to establish a new breeding territory will the gander drive off the previous year’s young birds.

Geese are primarily grazing birds, although they also take grain, root crops and leafy vegetation. Geese have relatively short bills, and prefer pasture or meadows that are grazed by cattle or sheep. A flock of geese will work their away across the fields, nibbling the more nutritious growing shoots of the grass or cereal crop. Grass, by itself, is not particularly high in nutrients, and geese have to eat almost continuously in order to gain any nourishment from it. To allow these bulky birds to be able to take-off in an emergency, they process this grass at a remarkable rate. The birds defecate almost continuously whilst grazing so that their gut is not weighed down with food and they can still make a quick getaway if danger threatens.
http://www.arkive.org/greylag-goose/anser-anser/info.html

I tell you what, the do defecate. the amount of goose poo i see is unbelievable!! Ewwww!
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Thanks for that information AM it's great to learn knew things about the animlas we see. great photos to, and the Video was Brill, and there's you saying your no good at Techy stuff.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:39 pm

Just watched the video clip - Embarassed sorry missed that before. Wonderful Goosewatch - thanks Anne-Marie.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Thank you again for the wonderful photo's Anne-Marie and another little video, great stuff, chief Goose watcher.
I do hope the Goose with the bad leg is ok, hopefully it's only a little strain or something and nothing serious.
Also thanks for all the info on the Geese, that was a good read, I love reading and learning about all the various animals and that was great.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sambuka Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:48 pm

Your photos are really nice Anne-Marie, this looks a really nice place for them to be. I like your page.
sambuka
sambuka

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 am

Thank you Sambuka, I have some more updates! Although I'm still uploading so I shall post on here later. Very Happy
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next