Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chad Elephant Slaughter

+2
radhu
whitestarling
6 posters

Go down

Chad Elephant Slaughter Empty Chad Elephant Slaughter

Post  whitestarling Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:54 pm

http://news.mongabay.com/2012/0807-neme-chad-elephant-poaching.html
Elephant slaughter continues in Chad, another baby rescued
Laurel Neme, special to mongabay.com
August 07, 2012

Elephant poaching persists in southwestern Chad as poachers slaughtered more elephants on August 3, the second time in less than two weeks.
In the first attack, the week of July 23, poachers killed 34 elephants, including 29 in Chari Baguirmi near a village called Bram and five in Mayo Lemie near Nanguigoto. In the second attack on August 3, it appears at least 4 or 5 elephants were killed and 2 injured, including a mother with three calves. In addition, between five to ten baby elephants have been left alone in the bush. The exact numbers are unclear. Searching is difficult as poachers are still in the area, movement by truck is challenged by wet conditions, and thick vegetation limits aerial surveillance.

A team from
SOS Elephants is tracking the injured mother and plan to operate on her leg to extract a bullet once the area is secured. At that time, they will also assess whether she has enough milk for the calves.
Chad Elephant Slaughter 112
Elephants near the camp run by SOS Elephants. Photo courtesy of SOS Elephants (Stephanie Vergniault)

So far, the team has rescued one elephant calf, sleeping with the baby in the bush before leading him back to camp. They continue to search for others because infant elephants cannot survive long without their mothers. Young elephants are physically and emotionally dependent on their mothers for three to five years. They rely on their mother’s milk for their nutrition until age two, and are not fully weaned until five or six years old.

The team also is monitoring the status of “Toto”, a 3-week-old male elephant rescued by the wildlife organization following the July 24 massacre. A neighboring herd adopted Toto a few days after the rescue, and a foster mother is now feeding him milk. SOS Elephants confirms that neither Toto nor his substitute mother were in the August 3 poaching incident.

According to SOS Elephants, around 200 elephants live in the Chari-Baguirmi – Mayo Lemie area, which has no formal protected status. SOS Elephants monitors these elephants from their camp located in Mitau in Mayo Kebbi Est.

Over the last two weeks, elephants in this area have crossed the River Chari near the camp several times for hours searching for a safe place. This is unusual behavior for the elephants. Normally at this time of year, they avoid the rain and mud by hiding in the small forests around the River Chari and do not come out again until October.

Chad Elephant Slaughter 113
'Toto', a 3-week-old male elephant rescued by SOS Elephants. Photo courtesy of SOS Elephants (Stephanie Vergniault)
The perpetrators remain at large despite a large government search party of 200 soldiers. It appears the poachers are heavily armed and have accomplices among the local population. Three days ago, the paramount chief, government soldiers and administrative authorities spent the day visiting villages near the forest where the latest poaching occurred and promised them an incentive to denounce the poachers. Environmental organizations working in the region, including the African wildlife law enforcement organization LAGA (The Last Great Ape Organization), the Wildlife Conservation Society, and African Parks Network, believe the most likely way of apprehending the poachers is through receiving information on their whereabouts from the local population, and are planning to offer a substantial reward.
SOS ELEPHANTS OF CHAD FB PAGE LINK FOR NEWS ON HOW THEY ARE TRYING TO HELP
https://www.facebook.com/groups/soselephants/#!/groups/soselephants/
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Chad Elephant Slaughter Empty Re: Chad Elephant Slaughter

Post  radhu Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:16 am

what is wrong with these poachers...

female elephants do not have tusks right,then why hunt them down??

usually they kill them for ivory,but what will be the purpose here..i dont understand Sad

crazy people...cant imagine the situation of that calf without mother Sad

i am glad for Toto to have a foster mother :) thanks to her
radhu
radhu

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks WS - i've been reading about this via FB and it is really sickening what is happening with poaching all over Africa at the moment.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Oh my, what do you say, reading that and looking at their FB page is just so upsetting, it really blows your mind and heart apart doesn't it. Poaching is just so barbaric and totally un-neccessary, it not only kills the adult elephants but also lots of calves as well. I really hope that people do come forward and give information about the poachers.

You are right Lai, so much poaching is going on it is devastating to so many species. This world really is becoming a madness and not a very nice place.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:16 pm

African female Elephants do have tusks Radhu, and they can have really big ones. If you look at the picture banner on the home page, the photo of the Elephant in the middle is Echo a famous Matriach from Amboseli who featured in a lot of TV programes, and you can see the size of her tusks. Sadly she died at over 60yrs of age, but she died of old age, and thats how it should be. These poor Elephants will never have that chance, and as the others say this is happening more, and more all over Africa, and will continue untill Governments stop paying lip service to stopping poaching, and start taking action
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks for the info WS but what truly shocking, sad reading Sad When will it all end Mad Crying or Very sad

Will check out the link you have also posted when I've got more time
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  radhu Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:22 am

thanks for the info WS, i didnt know cow elephant will have tusks...in our place i mean asian female elephants do not have tusks so i thought it would be the same with African elephants as well ....totally new info to me that for African elephants bull and cow elephants have tusks

i should say that is unfortunate otherwise they wouldn't have fallen prey to poachers Sad

its too barbaric to kill those elephants particularly when they hav calf Sad

and considering the fact that elephants jus like humans go through a lot of emotional trauma after they lose their loved ones to such mad people Sad

now that all are aware government will take necessary actions to curb this cruelty right? hopefully !
not sure how long will humans take to realize their place on earth Sad
radhu
radhu

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:21 am

I follow SOS on FB and am appalled at half of the things that go on. Thanks for raising SOS Elephants, Stephanie is amazing and does so much good works.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:15 am

From SOS Elephants of Chad's FB Page
Chad Elephant Slaughter 114
Chad Elephant Slaughter 210
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/soselephants/

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:42 pm

That's a nice post and Biti looks very cute I love you I really hope he makes it with the love and care he is now getting.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down