Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nesting Swans

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Nesting Swans Empty Nesting Swans

Post  Safariman Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Although I only live in a small 1970's mid-terrace house; instead of looking out onto the usual road of parked cars and traffic the house faces onto a grassed area with a small pond which I can easily observe from my kitchen window. The pond attracts a variety of wildlife, particularly birds and there are resident Mallard Ducks, whose numbers vary wildly from year to year and a pair of Moorhens, which have bred successfully for the last two years having usurped a pair of resident Coots. We also get the occasional stray visitor such as Canada Geese and even a pair of Mandarin Ducks. There are the usual garden birds as well as a Heron which visits when the frogs arrive to breed, the odd visiting fox, hedgehog and squirrel and being on a small estate of houses and flats, cats, dogs and children of varying sizes!!
For the past couple of years we have also had, surprisingly, a pair of Swans, who arrive in March and spend a couple of weeks checking the place out before departing again. However this year they have stayed and have been building a huge nest on the bank of the pond. It has taken about 3 weeks for them to build it to their satisfaction and now the pen is starting to lay her eggs. The first was earlier this week and according to the information I have been able to glean off the internet she could lay up to ten eggs at between 12-24 hour intervals. It can then take up to 6 weeks for the eggs to hatch so I could be in for a long wait. They are reasonably approachable and people friendly as long as you provide them with food. They have got into the habit of waiting outside my neighbour's front door (they have an open front garden ,mine fortunately is fenced!!) particularly first thing in the morning expecting to be fed and attempting to mug any unsuspecting visitor.
Now I just have to be patient and hope that they can manage to hatch their eggs successfully and avoid the problems of nesting in such an unusual spot with all its inherent dangers. I will keep you informed of any progress.
I have included a few photos of the progress so far.

Nesting Swans P1050310

The pond showing the small terrace of houses where I live, mine is the centre one. This was taken last summer, hence the green leaves everywhere.

Nesting Swans P1030010

Nesting Swans P1030011

Nesting Swans P1000010

The nest on the bank of the pond showing how close it is to the rear gardens of the adjacent houses.Photo taken from my front garden.

Nesting Swans P1080310

Nesting Swans P1080311

Nesting Swans P1080410

Nesting Swans P1080411

One of the Swans waiting outside my neighbours front door to be fed!!

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Nesting Swans Empty Re: Nesting Swans

Post  whitestarling Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:31 am

It really looks a lovely spot where you live Safariman, beautiful photos of the Swans. It will be really interesting to see what happens with the nest, and any eggs. I think the biggest danger especialy where the nest is situated is Foxs. We have a pond just outside our back door, we dont get Swans waiting for food, but we have 3 Ducks, not quite so intimidating.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:46 pm

WOW Safariman that is just so wonderful, lucky you and I am so excited for you. I do hope they stay safe and please keep us to to date with news and of course lots of photos.

Are they Mute Swans? I am not up on swans at all.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Yes Lai, they are Mute Swans, the only ones that are resident in the U.K. I think we also get Whooper Swans as seasonal visitors. Like you I know very little about them apart from the fact that in theory they all belong to the monarch!!

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Yes and therefore protected! I must look them up in my bird book Safariman so I can tell the difference between them all. At least I now know that they are the only resident swans, so thanks for that.

You'll soon be an expert on Mute swans as they'll be your neighbours for some weeks now. I love the idea of them waiting in your neighbours garden to be fed - very clever of them.

We're hoping to help Stapeley Grange RSPCA Wildlife Centre with taking some swans and wildfowl soon which is exciting news.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:45 pm

What a lovely, idyllic spot you stay in Safariman Cool How wonderful to look out of your window and see so much wildlife, so much better than cars whizzing up and down the road.

Great photos and your swans are just lovely. I really do hope as well that they stay safe (they will be very protective of the eggs) and in about 6 weeks time you have lots more to tell us and more photos to share with us. In the meantime looking forward to hearing how things progress over the next wee while until the eggs hatch Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Fri May 10, 2013 11:56 am

A quick update on my nesting swans. It is difficult to know how many eggs have been laid as they are now very protective of their nest and it is difficult to get close. There is always one on the nest, this morning it was the female (pen) with the male (cob) patrolling the pond. However there were two other unusual visitors this morning, a pair of Tufted ducks that are not normally resident there. I do not know whether they were just passing through or intend to stay. However the highlight this morning was watching a female Mallard duck taking her newly hatched ducklings down to the pond probably for the first time. Once in the water they zipped about like high-powered toy speedboats. There are 11 of them and how long they will survive for is difficult to say as the attrition rate is very high with the local cats, magpies and crows on permanent lookout. Quite often none will survive which is always rather sad!! The male swan took a passing interest in them invading his territory but soon left the pond in search of food in my neighbours garden. Surprisingly the mallard immediately also brought her brood out and followed him in the hope of food!!
It would seem that inspite of the weather, cold, wet and miserable this morning, spring has at last sprung.

Nesting Swans P1000110

The pen on her nest

Nesting Swans P1000111

The cob on patrol!!

Nesting Swans P1000112

A pair of Tufted Ducks, the male is black and white and the female brown

Nesting Swans P1000113

The female Mallard and her 11 ducklings

Nesting Swans P1000114

In search of breakfast!!

Nesting Swans P1000115

Follow that swan!!

Nesting Swans P1000116

Where's our food!!

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri May 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Great to hear that the swans are doing well Safariman Very Happy

Lovely picture of the Tufted Ducks Cool

Oooh ducklings are just soooo adorable I love you Great shots of this lovely family and I really hope as many as possible survive but as you say it's not easy for them Nesting Swans 431638
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri May 10, 2013 4:15 pm

http://i73.servimg.c Safariman, lovely photos and news about the swans and now the ducks. The ducklings really are adorable and it is so sad when they get picked off so easily. We have them too and it's always sad to see less and less each day, not that ours have hatched yet but in previous years.

It must be lovely to be able to watch them all, especially zipping around like little speedboats, that conjurs up a great image in my mind!

Thanks for updating us.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri May 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Oh My Goodness Safariman, I want to move in bounce how lucky are you and also how exciting to have that lovely pond on your doorstep with all those amazing birds and their chicks and hopefully little cygnets as well.......you need a web cam Safariman Very Happy
Just loved the pictures and the updates and initial story, its all so exciting and I so hope all eggs hatch and they survive, its going to be a fascinating time and I will eagerly be looking for updates and pictures. That has made me smile this evening........we know what your house looks like, all we need now is the address Nesting Swans 40683

Lets hope the foxes in the area leave well alone.

How exciting Lai that you could soon be helping out with Swans and Wildfowl, keep us updated on that too.....then i'll be up to your place as well Nesting Swans 853843

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 am

Nesting Swans 768480 Littlewid, only if you promise to bring Nero as well Laughing

Will keep you posted.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Sun May 12, 2013 11:36 am

Still 11 little ducklings this morning!!!! After a quick feed and photoshoot, Mum took them to visit the nesting swan who I think now has 6 eggs.

Nesting Swans P1000210

Nesting Swans P1000211

Nesting Swans P1000310

Nesting Swans P1000212

Nesting Swans P1000311

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun May 12, 2013 5:16 pm

That is quite something for the Mallard Mum to still have 11 chicks Safariman but also what a relief as well, she is obviously a good mum and keeping them out of danger. The photo's of them this morning are really cheery, you can't help but have a melted heart seeing them.
So it looks like the Swans have 6 eggs, thats good going isn't it. Hopefully they are being left alone by possible predators as well.
Thanks for the update Safariman, always lovely to have good news and wonderful pics on here.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Those are gorgeous shots Safariman, love the way your camera has picked out the water droplets on the feathers. She has done well to keep them safe up to now, but she's still got away to go. They take 50 to 60 days to fledge. 6 is a good number for the Swans they normaly lay up to 7, and take between 35-41 to hatch. I suppose in the weather we are having at the moment it could be the longer figure.

WS
PS Meant to say Safariman, if Littlewids coming. Get yourself some ear defenders Nesting Swans 40683
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu May 16, 2013 1:15 pm

http://i73.servimg.c Mrs Duck that's great to hear there are still 11 little ones on the go Very Happy

What lovely shots of the ducklings and I really like the one with the swan on it's nest with mum & the ducklings in the water below Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Thu May 16, 2013 3:30 pm

Time for an update on life on the pond!!! Unfortunately we are now down to 10 ducklings, one has gone missing. I think it is a miracle that they have survived as long as they have, almost about a week. In past years the attrition rate has been at least 70-80% sometimes 100%.
The dynamics of the pond have changed considerably since the arrival of the swans and it is fascinating to see how it affects the other normal residents of the pond. The swans are becoming very territorial now that the eggs have been laid and yesterday the male decided that he had enough of the poor tufted ducks and proceeded to chase them around the pond. However he ignored the other mallards and the ducklings and seemed to take his annoyance out only on the tufted ducks. This disturbed a pair of moorhens who were quietly going about their own business and doing what moorhens are supposed to do at this time of year!! (see the photos!!!!!).
This morning things were quieter, with the tufted ducks nowhere to be seen, the moorhens on the nest and the mallard duck and her little ones happily sunning themselves adjacent to the swans nest. Its becoming very exhausting trying to keep up with what has been happening...........to be cont.

Nesting Swans P1000312

The missing duckling!!

Nesting Swans P1000413

Mum and one of her brood

Nesting Swans P1000313

Mallard duckling

Nesting Swans P1000414

Male tufted duck

Nesting Swans P1000511

Female tufted duck

Nesting Swans P1000512

The swan chasing off the tufted ducks

Nesting Swans P1000513

The resident moorhens

Nesting Swans P1000514

Self-explanatory!!

Nesting Swans P1000515

The swan on her nest (taken this morning when the sun was actually shining!!)

Nesting Swans P1000516

Mum with her ducklings

Nesting Swans P1000517

The ducklings are getting bigger every day

Nesting Swans P1000518

One of the moorhens on the nest

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu May 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks so much for the update Safariman but what a shame one duckling is missing, I know these things happen but it still is not nice to know but thenagain mum is doing well to have 10 remaining, lets hope they all stay safe.
I am not surprised the male swan is getting a bit territorial now the eggs have been laid, males can be quite feisty at this time cant they, they will protect their mates and cygnets quite fiercely.
Your self explanatory picture is brilliant, it quite a capture isn't it. The whole pond life sounds a bit likea soap opera at the moment but it's that time of year isnt it but they are also giving us loads of enjoyment, so thanks hugely to them and also you for all the updates and glorious photos.
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri May 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks so much for the update Safariman, such a shame that one duckling has gone AWOL but to still have 10 on the go is pretty good going, long may it last.

More cute duckling pictures I love you
The swan chasing the duck certainly looked on a mission affraid
"Self Explanatory" was just that Embarassed Laughing
Beautiful lighting of the swan on its nest Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun May 19, 2013 6:28 am

Nesting Swans 768480 Safariman, lovely updates and brilliant photos. Wonderful to know all is well, apart from one little duckling, but that's an amazing success rate so far. Fingers crossed for the rest of them and that life in the pond settles down with the swans.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 am

http://i73.servimg.c for the Mallards they have done really well to only loose one upto now.Looks like there's going to be an explosion of new wildlife at the pond soon Safariman.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Sat May 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Latest up-date from the pond. The swans have settled down for the long wait for the eggs to hopefully hatch. They certainly now feel as if they own the pond with one on the nest and the other never far away either bringing more material for the nest, which is now huge, or patrolling the pond and keeping any unwelcome visitors well away!!
The Moorhens have also settled down well, with one always on the nest. They are a lot more intelligent than the ducks, building their nest in the water and therefore keeping any predators out of reach. Also when the eggs hatch they keep their young either in the nest or on the pond, not venturing onto dry land until the chicks are a reasonable size.
It has not been a good week for the Mallard ducklings. Mrs Duck no.1 now has only 7 little ones and Mrs Duck no.2 who I am not certain how many she started with had only 4 mid-week and yesterday that was down to 1 and sadly this morning none!!! I think the weather is very much to blame with winds, rain and being extremely cold. It did not help that Mrs. Duck no.1 and her ducklings spent a great deal of time chasing the newcomers away especially when any food was available. I think she was a first time mum and quite often they will lose them all as they are unsure how to look after them properly. Practice makes perfect!!

Nesting Swans P1000810

The swans and their nest which gets bigger every day

Nesting Swans P1000811

One of the Moorhens, not sure whether its male or female!!

Nesting Swans P1000812

Mrs. Duck no.1 and her 7 ducklings

Nesting Swans P1000813

Mrs. Duck no.2 and her solitary duckling

Nesting Swans P1000814

My last sighting of the duckling!!!!!

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat May 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Thats a real mixed bag of news today Safariman. It's good to know the Swans have settle down and I always thought they would be in command of the pond but boy, that is a bumper nest isn't it, it's like the equivalent of a two story nest Very Happy but I bet its very comfortable.
The Moorhens are indeed very clever building their nest in the water, safe from Foxes, Dogs and cats, I wonder why some birds are more intelligent than others.
Mrs Duck No1 is doing very well and thats a lovely photo of her and her ducklings but very sad for Mrs Duck No2, that must be awful to have your little ducklings go like that and I would like to think its because of the poor weather than anything else, that wouldn't be nice at all. The picture of her with her solo chick tugs at your heart and especially your last sighting one Sad . Lets hope Mrs Duck No1 manages to keep all of hers.
Thank you for the updates and gorgeous pictures Safariman.
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat May 25, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks for the updates and photos Safariman, the swan nest is superb. Some good and some very sad news but realistically that is nature unfortunately. i'm really enjoying life on your pond Safariman, so thanks for sharing.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Fri May 31, 2013 3:18 pm

For some inexplicable reason it was not raining this morning and the sun was threatening to shine so I decided to wander over to the pond to see what was happening. Armed with my little pocket camera which I wanted to practice with, as I will be taking it with me on my trip to Zambia next week, and I had not used it for some time and am hopeless at trying to take photos without a viewfinder to look through, I also took a couple of slices of bread for any hungry mouths. I was soon accosted by Mrs Swan who had just come off the night shift, Mr Swan taking over on the nest, and was obviously feeling a little peckish. It is slightly intimidating to have a swan out of the water trying to grab food out of your hand while you are trying to break it up and distribute it to other worthy causes!!
The duckling count is now down to 5 but they are getting bigger so their chance of survival is probably increasing day by day. The Moorhens are still on the nest which is only a few metres away from the swans huge edifice and it will be interesting to see how the swans react when the Moorhen chicks eventually hatch. Having had her breakfast Mrs Swan decided she needed a quick wash and brush-up and returned to the pond to take a shower with much flapping of wings and a downpour of spray. She then came out of the pond and standing beside me proceeded to preen herself until she was nice and clean. It is only when you are stood next to them that you realise how big these magnificent birds are. When they stand on web-toe and spread their wings they are enormous!!
When I returned in-doors I noticed that in the 20 mins. I had been outside I had taken over 140 photos, thank goodness for digital cameras!!!

Nesting Swans P1000013

One of the surviving ducklings

Nesting Swans P1000014

The Moorhen's nest is on the extreme right of the photo, you can just about make out the Moorhen on the nest as a black dot!!

Nesting Swans P1000117

Time for a shower

Nesting Swans P1000118

Nesting Swans P1000015

Nesting Swans P1000119

Nesting Swans P1000120

Nesting Swans P1000016

Nesting Swans P1000121

That feels better!!

Nesting Swans P1000122

Nesting Swans P1000123

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri May 31, 2013 6:05 pm

What a treat it was not to be raining this morning Safariman, in fact it's been a gorgeous day. So glad you managed to check up on the Swans, Moorhens, Ducks and Ducklings. A shame they are now down to 5 but as you say they are getting bigger so it gives them more chance of surviving.
140 pictures in 20mins........how many are you going to take on your holiday affraid what stunning pictures they are though, the ones of the Swan having a shower are just fantastic, all that water splashing is amazing and how white they are, I love them all but the ones of her amongst the daisys are lovely, very pretty pictures, but I truely love all the water splashing. Then to have her stand next to you bounce they are intimidating though with food aren't they. The ones at our Wildfowl Trust come up to you and sometimes I never know whether to stay or go.
Thank you for the update and wonderful pictures and hopefully we will get another update before you fly away.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next