Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nesting Swans

5 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Nesting Swans - Page 3 Empty Re: Nesting Swans

Post  littlewid Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Oh WOW  WOW  WOW  Safariman and if it's appropriate you need to give your neighbour a huge Group Hug  from all of us as thats so kind of her to lend you her memory card, what a Like a Star @ heaven  she is.

They are glorious photos and I especially love the ones of the cygnets cuddling up to nd climbing over mum, they are so lovely and the first picture of the solo cygnet is stunning, she takes a lovely picture doesn't she. I also really like the last photo of the Cygnets swimming with mum and dad.

Thats put a big smile on my face this evening and i'm really delighted she lent you her card cheers 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 pm

Can't put much as my internets down and I'm using phone. Just to say they are brilliant thanks to both you and your neighbour
Very Happy 
W. S

Last edited by whitestarling on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:29 pm

I Agree LW, HUGE Group Hug to your neighbour Safariman for those photos, they are wonderful Very Happy They are superb photos and most definitely have the ooooh and aaaah factor about them I love you Love the one with the little cynet right up close to mums face and the shots of cygnets are totally adorable. Thanks so much for these
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:38 pm

The latest pics of the 5 Moorhen chicks, they are now getting quite brave and coming out onto the grass in search of food.

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020610

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020611

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020612

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020613

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020615

Their feet are huge in comparison with the rest of their body!!

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Oh My Goodness safariman, their feet are huge aren't they, they look as if they belong to another bird who is much bigger. I wonder why they have such enormous feet?
They have grown though haven't they and they look a little less fluff ball. The pictures are wonderful of them and the water is so clear isn't it, you can see their feet, it's lovely. Mum and Dad are doing a grand job and its nice to know they are now having the confidence of coming ashore to get food.

Thanks for the pics and update Safariman, thats ended my day off nicely cheers 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks  Safariman. They really are funny looking birds out of the water!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:57 pm

More great shots thanks Safariman. They look more Punky, than Fluffy now Nesting Swans - Page 3 40683 , and those toes are really big. The reason for that is that unlike other Rails their feet are not webbed, and their large toes allow them to walk on mud, and soft sand. The parents have really done a great job upto now bringing them on, and its good they are coming on to land for food

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Just a quick report to say all 5 Moorhen chicks are still around and just about independent of their parents. I don't know if Mum and Dad will try and raise another brood this year or whether it is too late.!!

Safariman

Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:58 pm

That's great news Safariman, thanks for letting us know. I wonder if they will risk another brood at this stage. Keep us posted cheers 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Ah thats really good to know all five have done well Safariman and are virtually independent from their parents. Mmmm I wonder if they will have more, it is getting a little late isnt it? But I am no expert by any means on moorhens,
Thank you for the update, I have been wondering how they have been getting on.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:42 pm

http://i73.servimg.c that's great news Safariman, thanks for letting us know Very Happy 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Latest photos of the Moorhen chicks, Mum and Dad were nowhere to be seen! 4 of the chicks are always together but the 5th. seems to be a bit of a loner and always on his own, I don't know why.
I have also included photos of some butterflies and bees which were busily collecting nectar from the thistles on the bank of the pond. I have seen very few butterflies this year which is a shame as they add so much beauty and colour to our otherwise drab world.

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1000411

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1000412

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1000413

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1000414

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1000415

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1000416

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1000417

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1000418

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Cant help but have a little dance over those Safariman Nesting Swans - Page 3 853843  Nesting Swans - Page 3 2224760601 they are spectacular and support what some of us said the other day that photographing wildlife should not just be left to the experts. Those are simply awesome, for want of a better word. The photo of the last Bee pic is just fandabydozy..........a GR terminology there......you can see all the nectar on him and he is just a fuzzy cute ball of Bee and you have captured either a fly or wasp or smoething in the background as well. The butterfly pics are stunning and they are so hard to capture I think as they never stay still for very long. Oddly, last year I didn't see many but this year I have seen quite a few.
Those Moorhens have really grown and they are lovely, if mum and dad aren't around much I imagine they are soon to be on their own, I wonder why that one is such a loner?
Thanks for sharing all of those Safariman, really made me smile this evening.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:36 am

Lovely photos Safariman, and great to see the moorhens looking so well. I agree about the butterflies although now we have zillions on our buddleia which they love. Those macro shots are great Safariman, wonderful to see butterflies and bees close up.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:16 am

http://i73.servimg.c Safariman those Butterfly, and Bee shots are brilliant so sharpe, and clear. Love the way you've got the pollen on the Bee to show up, I'm really impressed. We have never seen many Butterflys round here since we moved here 4yrs ago, I'm not sure if its area, habitat, or altitude. Lovely to see how the Chicks have smoothed out, and that the 5 are still going strong, although one seems to be on its own
Thanks for another great share

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Great news from the pond, Mr. & Mrs. Moorhen have produced a second brood!!! I managed to see 3 or 4 little chicks but it is difficult to be exact as they are well hidden in the reeds. It will be interesting to see what happens as the first brood of chicks although able to feed themselves which they do, still expect to be fed by mum and dad if they are around. I was watching this afternoon as one of the parents carrying some bread back to the little ones was waylaid by an older chick who took the food!! It is going to be hard work for mum and dad trying to keep everybody happy.
The photo is not very good but hopefully I should get some better ones in the next couple of days.

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020810

One of the new arrivals

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:41 pm

http://i73.servimg.c  Safariman, thanks for the good news and the update and photo. It will be great to know how the two broods get on and how the parents cope.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Nesting Swans - Page 3 768480  Thats great news Safariman, there does seem to be lots of different Bird species having extra broods. Hopefully they are all catching up on the slow cold start to the breeding season. Fingers X the second brood will do as well as the first.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Thats wonderful news Safariman cheers  I reckon it has something to do with the warm weather we are having. Lets hope the parents dont get too worn out with the new family and the first ones, I reckon mum and dad may get tough with the older chicks though if they pester too much. That is a lovely picture though as you can see that the new chick looks like a little roughion just like the older chicks did.

Talking of having more than one brood, my doves are on to their third clutch affraid  I missed the others fledging but I have more pics of them which I will post when I eventually get my pics sorted and I will keep an eye on the third generation too.

Looking forward to more pics of the Moorhen family when you can Safariman

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:04 pm

I think that there may be 5 new Moorhen chicks. It has been fascinating to watch the changing dynamics of the pond particularly when there is food around. The 5 older chicks as well as feeding themselves have also started to help feed their new younger siblings. I watched as one of the sub-adults took a piece of bread from one of its' parents and immediately swam across the pond to give it it one of the new tiny chicks. It is not behavior that I have come across before. I am sure this makes life a lot easier for mum and dad as they now have an additional 5 helpers. Moorhens are rapidly becoming one of my favourite water birds!!
As you can see from the photos, the pond is now covered in a disgusting scum, probably algae caused by the very hot weather.

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020822

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020916

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020917

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020918

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020919

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020920

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1020921

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:15 pm

How amazing Safariman and wonderful to be able to watch the progress, I didn't know older broods would help with the new chicks. I agree about the pond, that looks pretty scummy to me, I hope with a bit of fresh rain water in it, it will clear. The balance in ponds is important.

Lovely pics and updates, thanks.

It reminds me I must try and get some pics of our ducklings, they are huge now Very Happy 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:37 pm

I have not heard of that before but it was such a lovely thing to do and it will help with the survival of the second brood, they are a lovely family and I can see why they are fast becoming your favourite water bird Safariman. The pics are lovely and it seems odd that it was only a little while ago the sub adults looked like those little balls of black fluff, they grow so quickly dont they.
That pond doesnt look very inviting does it but as Lai says, maybe with the rain we have had it will clear a little for them, I wouldnt want to be swimming in it.

This week I am hoping to get to my local WWT, so fingers crossed I will get to see some Moorhens as well, they are usually there.

Thanks for the pics and update Safariman.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks to the BTO, I have now been able to trace the male swan that was nesting on my local pond. He was originally ringed 4 years ago when he was approx. 3 years old in Welwyn Garden City, Herts. which is approx. 40 km for where the pond is. Not a huge distance but he obviously prefers Bucks to Herts!! I hope they decide to return next spring and nest again.

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Latest photos of the Moorhens

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1040010

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1040011

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1040012

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1040013

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1040014

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1040015

Nesting Swans - Page 3 P1040016

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm

That's great to know from the BTO about the male swan Safariman and let's hope he returns next year.

I love the latest photos of the Moorhens, they really are such extraordinary looking little things with those long ungainly legs!

Thanks for sharing.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next