Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Feeding Stations :):)

+8
Carson1
Doogs
Anne-Marie1981
whitestarling
Safari Maiden
littlewid
Laikipia
princesspurplehippy
12 posters

Page 7 of 35 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21 ... 35  Next

Go down

Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 Empty Re: Our Feeding Stations :):)

Post  Laikipia Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:57 am

That's always the way isn't it - you should always have your camera with you Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 40683

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:44 am

Well it was'nt far away Lai I was by the Kitchen window, where there's a small fat ball feeder by the back door. The Camera was on the window ledge in the Living Room where the big feeder is. The Nuthatch was in the wrong place really Shocked , but it paid off today the Long Tailed Tits were back managed to get a couple of shots again not brill, as they are taken through the window, and the Zoom on the camera's a bit limited. I've put an arrow so people will know which ones the Longtail
Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 210

Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 110

Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 768480 Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 71418 Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 768480 Got the Nuthatch as well

Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 00511

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:09 pm

The last pic of the nuthatch is brilliant WS - not meaning that the others aren't great as well, but the shot is really good Very Happy

Lai scratch
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:44 pm

They are wonderful shots WS. I too love the last one with the nut or seed in his beak Very Happy It looks a very wintery scene, just lovely.

I have brought a new hanging feeder today for my station, it should hopefully be nicer for the birds to feed from and keep the seed all lovely, I also brought one of those slabs of fat with nuts, fruit and meelworms in, i'm hoping it will entice the birds to feed, ive also made sure the water is all sparkly clean for them. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my station gets as busy as PPH's and yours WS.....keep your fingers crossed everyone, I keep trying very hard to get the birds in so they know where there is some yummy food.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:00 pm

I am sure they'll love it Littlewid, especially as the weather gets worse, mealworms, suet cakes, fat balls etc are all much appreciated. In fact food in general Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks Lai Very Happy I am really hoping they find their way to it before the weather gets really awful, I want them to realise there is a constant supply of food here for them. I am not sure what else I can do scratch

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:52 pm

I love the one of the Nuthatch to, I got him just right, lucky really as it was just a single shot. I've got it as my screen saver now. Dont worry LW the Birds will find your feast, it only takes a couple to find it, and word soon gets round, it also depends on how many people have established feeders around you where the Birds are used to going. Ours love those flat fat bars they seem to prefer them to the fat balls
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:59 pm

From what I can see around here mine is the only feeder WS. One thing though, we do have a lot of seagulls and Pigeons, so I am wondering if they keep the smaller birds away. Also the mealworm bar didn't say how long it could be out before it needed throwing away, or can it stay there as long as it still looks fresh and hasnt been rained on etc, any idea scratch

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Nothing lasts that long with us Littlewid - today I filled the tray on the ground twice affraid we had 6 pheasants visiting ...........

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Lai I would be happy if just one bird visited Very Happy How lovely to have 6 Pheasants visiting though, I bet that was a sight to see.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:01 pm

We have loads of Seagulls around not being that far from the coast LW, and Crows, as well. Pigeons are not threatening to small Birds so that should'nt be a problem. Not sure on the fat bars, the ones we use dont have meal worms in but they stay out for a few days even in rain so I would'nt worry about them. I think its just waiting for the birds to find your cafe
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Thanks WS, good to know the gulls and Pigeons wont scare the little birds off and so far no-one has been and eaten but the fat bar looks fine.

Sorry for hoodwinking your thread PPH Embarassed

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 pm

you havent hoodwinked my thread

its nice to hear about other peoples feeding stations and hearing what works and what doesnt. I felt really sorry for the birds today as I was late putting food out before work and I didnt have time to defrost the water bowl. I hope it defrosted in the day and they don't mind an water flavoured ice lolly for one day
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:12 pm

I was thinking of changing the name of the thread to 'our feeding stations'

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Thats up to you PPH, but it was a brilliant idea, and has given us all such a lot of pleasure, that your name should be onit. So we will leave it up to you to decide, then your name will be on the thread as the Author, as LW said sorry for highjacking the thread, but its a natural for news on feeders. Thanks for posting it on the Forum.
Checked our fat bars LW, and we do have some with meal worms, and insects in them. As far as we can make out they dont go off, and we know from experience rain does'nt affect them. So I would just leave them there. As for you not seeing any feeders around near you, perhaps its because you dont have a Birds eye view Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 40683 Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 40683
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:21 am

Oh Dear!!! WS that was a bad pun

Good news I managed to get up on time to refill my feeder and un freeze the water. The food was covered in snow as finally we have had some snow down here in the 'shires. Only an inch though not what I'm used to and I hope it doesnt snow while I am in work and the food gets covered up so they cant get to it

princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Sorry PPH Embarassed did my best but I've not been well Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 40683 Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 40683
Got a new feeder, the other was really to low down. We got a bargain the RRP was £32-00, its a Gaurdman recomended by the RSBP, and it was down to £19-79. Its 7ft tall
Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 00711

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Glad I/we haven't hoodwinked your thread PPH and how kind to change the name of the thread.....Thank you Very Happy and WS is right, your the Author and deserve the credit for this very chatty thread cheers

WS that was a bad pun lol! lol!

Love your new feeding station. Mine is so similar, it has two hooks at the top and then one further down and then the circular holders and water holder, I think it is a guardsman too. How weird is that. Thanks for the info on the fat bars, I will leave mine out.

I too put in new water this morning as it was frozen and took the snow off the fat bar. Not sure if any birds have fed as I have been at work but at least it's there if they want it and I will make sure it always has some yummy stuff on there for them.

Hope yours didn't get too snowed up today PPH and your visitors are ok. We only had a light dusting of snow, it has snowed most of the day but it hasnt settled but not sure what it's going to do over night. I just wish I was around to see if anyone was feeding.

Must just say......I love this thread Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 768480

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:22 pm

the new feeding station looks fab WS Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 768480

you have the same water holder as I do, and it was totally frozen solid this morning when I went to defrosted it. With temps during the day predicted to be in the minus range here in the shires it'll take a lot of defrosting
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:56 am

We got back last night about 9.30pm and I had to go out and top up the bird feeders as we came back to find a lot of snow and I was worried they wouldn't have any breakfast this morning. Our water bowl tray freezes (same one as you WS and PPH) every night so I've decided to take it in at night and put it out first thing,as long as I remember it will save having to defrost it everyday!

Great to see all the comments on this thread, and thanks PPH for sharing it with us Laughing

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:38 pm

This is a great thread, i love the pics of the feeders, i've never seen anything like those over here, i am going to google!! my bird feeder is a bowl on top of the cubby house away from my six cats. I had a feeder hanging in a tree but Izzy is a tiny girl and weighs just under 2.5 kgs, the branches can take her weight and i caught her stalking the birds so i took it down. I've never seen any of my cats on top of the cubby so far cheers

Thanks for sharing all, am going to google your types of feeders and see what i can buy.

TTMx

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Great idea Lai. Never thoight of that I'm a Dumbo Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 40683 Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 7 40683
Minty have they got equivalent to our RSPB over there you might get a leed from hem as to what types of Bird Feeders are available
A couple of little Videos first
A room with a View