Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Feeding Stations :):)

+8
Carson1
Doogs
Anne-Marie1981
whitestarling
Safari Maiden
littlewid
Laikipia
princesspurplehippy
12 posters

Page 4 of 35 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 35  Next

Go down

Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 4 Empty Re: Our Feeding Stations :):)

Post  Laikipia Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:28 pm

Sounds like the birds appreciate your feeder PPH - they need to get themselves organised re times for feeding Laughing we find different birds at different times of the day which is great, so ours must have decided their pecking order.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 4 40683 fiesty little robin cheers
Sounds like that feeder of yours gives you plenty of entertainment PPH Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 4 768480
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:51 pm

Thats fantastic PPH, sounds as though the Birds are really finding your feeder now you've changed it. It does take a whilebut your getting lots of different ones which must be lovely to watch. Its surprising how just the slightest movement scares them off though. Thats a typical Robin they are real charachters. How are you enyoying Autumnwatch ?
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Whats also great is that the 'hedge' outside my window next to the feeder has got some orange berries on them so I also get a tree sparrow sitting on there eating them.

Autumnwatch is great as always, I will confess to being more of a Springwatch fan but thats because I am a natural spring person and love everything about the season. All the new life popping up everywhere makes me happy after the dullness and general ickiness of the winter
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:49 am

PPH we have bushes and trees at the back of our garden and the birds are going crazy for them, which in turn is driving our cats crazy.

Winter is my favourite season. Christmas with snow on the ground is the nicest thing, makes me feel cosy for some reason, must be an Irish thing!

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:12 pm

I'm originally from North Wales so definitely used to bad snow and even though I think the snow looks great the best thing about it is that you're all snuggly inside with the fire on, a cup of hot chocolate and a big bowl of 'lop scouse' that my mum makes

One thing I do like about autumn is the cold but sunny autumn days you get at the beginning of autumn before the bad weather sets in and going for a long walk with the trees changing and the leaves crunching beneath your feet
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:58 pm

I'm an Autumn and Winter girl myself, I love the changing of the leaves in Autumn and the bright cold sunny days sunny and Winter just leads to that real cosy feeling, just love it.

Whats Lop Scouse PPH???

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:13 pm

best way I can describe it is a meat and veg stew, its originally from Liverpool (hence why people from Liverpool are called scousers) I think its German in origin

recipe here http://www.scouser.com/scouse-recipe/

real stick to your ribs, warm you up food
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:18 pm

lol! I know that one. I thinks it's actualy called Lob Scouse, and in the Potteries it's called Lobby as PPH says it does stick to your ribs Lovely Grub Yum Yum
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Read the recipe PPH. It reminds me of Irish Stew without the Worcester Sauce and other variations but definitely good for those cold winter nights!

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Mmmm thanks for that PPH, will have a look at the recipe and see if it can be altered......wonder if Veggie quorn will be the same outcome scratch the way it's been so cold here we will need something to stick to the ribs soon Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:34 am

my dad has tried it with quorn and he says its still as nice. I've heard it called Lob and Lop Scouse WS. I think its one of those things that goes by many different names depending where you live.

My mum calls it proper 'peasant' food but in a good way. I think she means good hearty simple food which doesnt need fancy culinary skills. I've lived in many parts of the country and the same recipes turn up with slight regional variations everywhere with different names
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:00 pm

does anyone know if you can put out tangerines for birds to eat. I have some that I know won't get eaten and even though my council collects waste food to compost I would rather put it out for the birds to eat
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:27 pm

There you go PPH a recipie for Bird that you can attract with different food s
Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 4 We57
Hope this helps, not sure what Tangers are though ?
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:15 pm

thanks for that WS, I'll put them out tomorrow cos I get visits from a chaffinch. I've started using a food mix with dried berries in too
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:28 pm

Thats good PPH. Birds love sultanas as well. Mrs S has a recipie that uses flour, soft lard, and sultanas. The Birds go mad onit, in the cold weather it gives them lots of energy, and they dont have to expend to much getting it which is important for the smaller birds. Talking about fruit, Blackbirds love apples, and pears as well, if you have any left that have gone soft
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Thanks for letting me know that Quorn is just as good PPH, I will give it a go.

That list of foods for birds is really helpful WS, a good way of attracting different birds into the garden. Not heard of birds eating Tangerines though scratch

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:13 pm

My partner said something nice today

I was worrying that I don't seem to get a lot of birds to my feeder like my Dad's feeder gets and my partner said that. My dad's feeder is in a big garden in the middle of a garden in the countryside and mine is is a 2 foot wide strip of grass in the middle of a town so he is going to get a lot more as its more accessible for birds.

He then says that he sees my dads feeder as a supermarket where birds as coming and going all day and he sees mine more of a local cafe where birds come along and have a bit of food in a more relaxed and sedate way without other birds getting in their way and competing. They then go about their that business and then pop back when they feel like it and know there will always be food available

I am now happy that my feeder is a local amenity, maybe a chilled out health food type cafe

Very Happy Very Happy

How do you all see your feeders?
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:33 pm

I like that PPH - a good way of thinking about it.

I would say ours is a supermarket, and today it is especially busy Laughing we had two woodpeckers trying to feed at the same time, luckily one was able to feed on the nut ball under the apple tree and the other came to the main feeder.

Some days it's like Piccadilly Circus it's so busy and then other times its silent at the moment the trees are so full of berries and there are so many nuts in the woods I am suprised the birds visit at all. Also we have a lot of fallen apples which the dogs like as well What a Face

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Loving both your accounts of your feeders Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 4 768480

Sadly mine is not on the SatNav map yet Embarassed it obviously does not have a Michelin Star. It's in a nice little back garden, by a lovely wisteria and a garden that is not bothered by cats. However it is not sending off the right radar or smells. Maybe it's seen as more of a Greasy Spoon Cafe Sad and I need help.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:13 pm

I'd say Littlewid that its an undiscovered gem

With any new place it takes them a while to find it, once one bird finds it word of mouth will get round
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 pm

Thanks PPH Very Happy thats a much kinder description and i'm really hoping it gets discovered soon especially as winter will be setting in and I really want the birds around here to know there is a constant tap of food for them and water. I have a mix of seed and nuts and also fat balls and a half coconut stuffed with a fat ball mixture and nuts, I may not have got it right and need to try different food for them. Even if I don't get a Michelin star I do want it to be in the good food guide and become that little Gem.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:48 am

Perhaps the birds have seen your lovely Ginger Cat Our Feeding Stations :):) - Page 4 327467 Littlewid - as the setting sounds idyllic, and a lovely wisteria for them to hide in. As for the food combination, it sounds just right. It always makes me laugh when you see these different foods saying 'for bluetits' and 'for robins' to be honest our visitors like all the different feeders, whether it's nuts, fat balls, suet cakes, seeds, mealworms, sultanas etc.

Don't give up, word will get round - maybe there is so much food around at the moment with the berries on the trees and the nuts on the ground, that the birds don't feel they need to visit your little Gem yet.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:36 am

Thats a lovely description PPH, and I would'nt worry LW the Birds will soon find your Caff, and they love greasy stuff. Our's is like Lai's we are in the country side so it's like a motor way cafe all go. Mrs S nipped up home from the pub this morning, she said the Birds were going mad, and as she phoned me she saw a flock of about 20 Sparrows all descend at once.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Thanks WS and Lai Very Happy I wont give up, I live in hope that they will all soon come visiting. It is in a nice safe place for them it probably just needs discovering or maybe I need to put up a few arrow signs Very Happy

20 Sparows WS, thats alot of birds but how wonderful, did Mrs S manage to get any pics of them all? I bet that was a truely amazing site........I would love just one Crying or Very sad

littlewid-x-

littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 35 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 35  Next