Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is this?

+3
whitestarling
Anne-Marie1981
Safari Maiden
7 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Who is this? - Page 7 Empty Re: Who is this?

Post  RMorr50912 Tue May 08, 2012 10:44 pm

That's exciting news WS! I still haven't heard anything back from Kichwa, so perhaps another prod is in order to let them know I will keep badgering them until I get an answer or get brushed totally off. I doubt that is the case since they never had to respond in the first place, probably not as high on their priority list as ours. Just looked again at the pics and she doesn't seem to have nicks in her ears, at least the one we can see. Maybe we can finally solve the mystery!

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed May 09, 2012 7:58 am

Who is this? - Page 7 40683 WS - I'm sure I said one of his Angels lol!

Will email Jonathan just as soon as I get to the office.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed May 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Sorry Embarassed I seem to have got confused Lai, I thought you said Charlie Angel, not sure now what name to give you. I'll have to get me Bible out, cant remember anyone called Charie having Angels, and I got an A at school in RE, must be old age, not remembering.
Thanks for sending Jonathan the email hopefully He'll have time to answer before his next trip
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed May 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Surely you remember Charlie's Angels WS Who is this? - Page 7 Ca10 1976 -1981 I loved it and wanted to be Farrah Fawcett Majors, must have been all that hair!

The adventures of three sexy female private eyes

Lai Laughing
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed May 09, 2012 10:27 pm

affraid Oh that one sorry did'nt realise you had 3 eyes. Must have been all that hair hiding the 3rd one LaiPia FFM
Starsky, Hutch,& FFM Hmmm
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed May 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Oh no Lai ; Lai Pai ; Milly and now FFM - I can't cope with all your names pale lol!

Last edited by Doogs on Thu May 10, 2012 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 10, 2012 8:15 am

scratch Me neither Doogs - I also have my Maasai name from our wonderful Maasai wedding ceremony - Nashipai (meaning ever happy)

Lai
aka quite a few names!

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 10, 2012 9:55 am

Reply received from Jonathan this morning.

There are a number of leopards that cross the Mara River - particularly over the past +5 years when we have had bad droughts in the Mara that have been ongoing with little rain and a very low Mara River. These leopards operate on either side of the River at times. Males tend to have larger territories than females and wander extensively and rapidly around their territory, monitoring the 2 or 3 females whose own territories are overlapped by the males larger territory. Sorry if that sounded clumsy! The females are territorial too but with more overlapping ranges than males - with both sexes generally trying to avoid being in the same place at the same time by taking note of scent and vocalizations. Many of the females we see will be close relatives - grandmothers, mothers, daughters, sisters (e.g. Half-Tail and her offspring at one point in the 1990s meant that there were at least 3 females sharing parts of the same range known to us). Rivers make natural boundaries to some degree but as with the lions (e.g. Notch and his 5 Boys (now 4 Boys)) they will cross at times and encroach on their neigbour's territory. There is a big male who we see near the Serena Pump House and also west to Main Crossing on Paradise (opposite Serena Lodge) who does this a lot - and who ambushes wildebeest at crossing points the way Bella used to on the Talek River. The female you mention and her two cubs - very obviously a male cub who is (as one would expect) considerably larger than his sister - of around 10 months (always difficult to tell from video - under one year at any rate). This female is not the beautiful and very distinctive leopard who we have been photographing in the Pump House area (north of the Mara River and Serena) who wanders up to the Kifukia Ya Nyoka Lugga (east of Paradise Plain) and surrounding bushes and rocks and grasslands). The Kichwa Tembo drivers will know this female for sure as she is evidently pretty relaxed - and so will the Drivers from Little Governor's Camp. So if they have a blog they would be the ones to check with. I will ask the Governor's drivers next time we are in Mara.

Lai

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu May 10, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks Lai AKA Lots
That really was quick, and so kind of Jonathan to reply, as we know he is so busy, and to offer to ask Governers Drivers about Siri next time he visits.
Right time to plan the next part of the investigation, Ronnie's in touch with Kircha, so I think I'll have another go at Governers, and include a copy of Jonathans email, it might add a little weight to our request for information
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 10, 2012 11:05 am

I agree, Jonathan is brilliant at replying when he's not out on safari.

Good idea WS. We'll get there in the end.

Lai
aka
CA (FFM)
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu May 10, 2012 1:20 pm

I'd already started typing on the thread Lai and couldn't remember you're 'wedding' name off the top of my head to add to the list !! You must be very dodgy having all those names lol!

Fantastic that you got a quick and very long reply from Jonathan Who is this? - Page 7 853843

Quite surprised our Siri was not the one in Jonathans report but great that he has confirmed this. Hopefully Ronnie can gee up Kichwa Tembo for an answer and well done Starsky / Hutch for going to get in touch with LG - to include Jonathan's email would be a great idea.

Good Luck Who is this? - Page 7 71418
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri May 11, 2012 11:36 am

affraid Doogs - that's funny! Always good to have a few spare names Very Happy

I am sure we are getting closer with Siri - over to you Starsky and Hutch ..... cheers

Lai et al
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Wed May 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Hey everyone, I still have no answers from Kichwa but did finally get an e-mail back following my latest nudge. I did some name dropping as well as sending the enhanced pic and one other. I told them that Jonathan, Jackson, Aatish and Paul K were all in on helping with the ID, and that Aatish and Paul had spent some time in the area trying to spot her. I got back an apology for taking so long and a promise to follow up with the guides again. Seems we were forgotten about for a bit but hopefully now they will get back to us with some info. If memory serves me right it was the weekend the last time I e-mailed them because I got an auto reply. This time I actually got a real response. The hunt is still on! Go Starsky, Hutch and FFM! lol!

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed May 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Who is this? - Page 7 768480 Well done Ronnie fingers X the name dropping will work, I have'nt had time yet to get in touch with Governers, or Mara triangle, but I will give it a go tomorrow

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 17, 2012 8:28 am

Who is this? - Page 7 768480 Ronnie - brilliant bit of work there. I am sure they will help now!

Lai
aka
FFM (C. Angel)
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu May 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Nice one Ronnie - I'm sure your name dropping will have helped to push things along - good luck cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Fri May 18, 2012 3:40 am

I hope so Doogs. I thought it would give us a little more credibility and also maybe spark a little competition as to who might actually ID her. We'll see though. I think a little shame at forgetting me earlier might help too. If nothing else they should know we are serious about finding out who our Siri is. I think my next step if nothing comes of this is to see if Onesmus knows any of the Kichwa guides well enough to see if he can get any more info when he finally gets back to the Mara.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Totally agree with you Ronnie and to ask Onesmus would also be a good idea, he seems very helpful although I believe he is still on leave at the moment.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Mon May 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Hello everyone, I finally got a response from Kichwa Tembo! A guide sent me an e-mail today offering to help and I'm very hopeful we soon may have some answers about Siri. The e-mail is below.

Subject: Leopard ID

Hi Ronnie

I hope this will find you well. I work at kichwa Tembo as guide and as per your last email to Tracy, you would like to know the person who was with guest(s) probably guiding them and these guests taken a photo of a certain leopard near kichwa area that need identification if I understood correctly.
Please could you send some of those photos to me then from there I will see if I can be able to help you. It is a bit challenging to know who exactly was because it could be more than one game viewing vehicles at same sighting.

I know this has taken you sometimes to inquire but sorry once we get those pictures, I will come back you as soon as possible.

Warm regards

Joseph Ole Kima

I sent him the link to the original video posted on youtube as well as the enhanced pic from WS and another screenshot I grabbed myself. I also told him how we are calling her Siri and why, so maybe if she doesn't already have a name she soon will! Also Onesmus is finally back in the Mara so, after he's had some time to get back to normal I may have to see if he knows Joseph or any other guides at Kichwa.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue May 22, 2012 12:06 am

Thats brilliant Ronnie, a response at last, and it looks very positive. I'm waiting for one back from Governers. Like you I said all who had been looking for Siri, and the part of Jonethens email about asking Governers, and Kirchas Guides when he returned to the Mara. I said it was now a race as to who would have the honour, of finding out who she was. Thought I'd try and make it a bit of a competion between them, and Kircha.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue May 22, 2012 10:00 am

Brilliant Ronnie - well done for getting a reply. Let's hope Joseph can help.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Excellent Who is this? - Page 7 853843 excellent Who is this? - Page 7 853843 excellent Who is this? - Page 7 853843

Would be very fitting if she doesn't have a name to call her Siri Wink Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Tue May 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Hey everyone, seems my name dropping must have done the trick because I got another e-mail from someone called Tracy appologizing for the delay and promising they are awaiting news from the people at Kichwa. All this time and nothing and now getting responses left and right! I just hope one of them recognizes her from the video and pics we've sent. I would think the guide would recognize the video but we will see.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue May 22, 2012 5:04 pm

WOW Ronnie - that's wonderful news. You and WS will have solved the mystery cheers

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue May 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Ooooo Ronnie I'm getting excited now Who is this? - Page 7 71418 Who is this? - Page 7 71418 Brilliant partner we may just get the answer at last
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum