Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012

5 posters

Go down

"The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012 Empty "The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012

Post  Safariman Thu May 09, 2013 12:03 pm

This is a post about a male cheetah I came across on my visit to the Mara last December. I mentioned him briefly in an earlier post "Life and Death on the Mara".
With my two Masai guides David and Kaapen, we had already spent a marvellous morning having already seen a leopard, lions, elephant and buffalo and were looking for somewhere to park and have a very late breakfast when we saw a cheetah sitting under an acacia tree surveying the landscape close to the road. David stopped and recognising the cheetah said "That's the Runner". "Why is he called the Runner" I naively asked, "Just wait and see" replied David smiling. The cheetah's attention was taken by a couple of warthogs and a Thompsons gazelle way off in the distance. He slowly stood up stretched and then set off at full speed towards his prey who easily spotted him and trotted off with the Runner soon reduced to a slow walk. "That's why we call him the Runner" explained David, "Anything he sees he will always chase." We soon caught up with the cheetah who having aborted his chase decided on a spot of scent marking on the few trees that were visible. Soon tiring of that he found another tree and flopped down in the shade to rest. We carried on a little way and also finding a suitable tree parked up and had our own belated breakfast. There is no better way of eating a bacon buttie than out in the open in the African bush within sight of a relaxing cheetah and with a lone bull elephant and gazelles and giraffe in the distance.
We came across the Runner again a couple of days later on an afternoon drive. He was relaxing in the late afternoon sun having finished his "running" for the day.
Cheetahs are my favourite big cat and I think I have mentioned before that they are just so beautiful and elegant and asking to be photographed. I was looking through my computer and I now have over 1,400 photos just of cheetahs!!

"The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012 P1060310

"The Runner"

"The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012 P1060311

"Time for some exercise"

"The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012 P1060410

"Scent marking"

"The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012 P1060411

"A hard morning's work!!"

"The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012 P1060710

"Relaxing in the afternoon sun"

"The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012 P1060711

"Another tiring day almost over"

"The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012 P1060712

"The Runner"

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

"The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012 Empty Re: "The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012

Post  Laikipia Thu May 09, 2013 1:39 pm

http://i73.servimg.c Safariman, a great story about 'the Runner' and some really fantastic photos, he is a very handsome cheetah and looks very well and healthy.

I so agree about breakfast in the bush with just the wild animals around for company.

That's an impressive number of cheetah photos! I am wayyyyyyyyyyy behind you there.

Thanks for sharing.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

"The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012 Empty Re: "The Runner", Mara North Conservancy, Dec. 2012

Post  littlewid Thu May 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Wow he is one handsome boy Safariman and his name suits him but I see from his last picture that he must have caught up with something, he has the tell tale signs round his mouth.
I wonder how many chases he does a day if he just runs after everything, no wonder he needed a lie down Very Happy
Lovely story as always and superb pics Safariman, Tigers are my fav big cat but I must say, I do have an enormous love of the Cheetah to.
Thanks for sharing that Safariman.
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu May 09, 2013 11:34 pm

Fantastic photos Safariman thanks for sharing them with us. He really does look a powerful Boy, and also well fed by the look of him. His name tickled me, The Runner, it reminded me of the the Road Runner in the Cartoon. I can just imagine him breaking into a run miles from the prey, and going peep peep. Your right about the bacon butty, tastes completely different outside especialy when it cooked on an open fire, must be the woodsmoke I've always thought
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sat May 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Amazing pics again Safariman! And more than 1,400 cheetah pics WOW

You the man

Thanks for always posting great stories with your pics too.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down