Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goveners Camp Masai Mara

+5
Anne-Marie1981
chui
littlewid
Safari Maiden
Laikipia
9 posters

Page 20 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Goveners Camp Masai Mara - Page 20 Empty Re: Goveners Camp Masai Mara

Post  Doogs Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:25 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Thursday 24th July 2014

Millions of Wildebeest

Yesterday morning this was the scene in the Mara Triangle the area in and around Little Governors Camp. A sea of millions of wildebeest as far as the eye could see. Photo courtesy of Governors Camp Guide Jacob Lelesara. If you would like to come and see this epic migration we still have tents available and some very tempting offers. To find out more contact us or your preferred Tour operator for details. #whyilovekenya #wildebeest migration

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.836041249741431.1073742079.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:26 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Monday 28th July 2014

Naughty boys, we have seen all of them (Morani, Hunter, Scar and Sikio) hanging around a lot on the other side of the river in the mara triangle area. Today we saw Sikio mating with a female near the base of the Olololo escarpment. Morani was also nearby mating with another female, there were cubs around 1yr old that the boys had chased away. Yesterday Mdomo and her sister had joined up and the cubs were interacting together.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:23 pm

WOW They are straying from home territory, wonder what pride the femaleswere with. At least they have left the Cubs alone

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:45 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Wednesday 30th July 2014

Wildebeest Migration Update

Guests and guides from Governors Camp headed up to an area we call South Serena Plains yesterday morning and this is what they saw, thousands and thousands of wildebeest. Photo courtesy of Governors Camp Guide Jacob Lelesara

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.839112932767596.1073742086.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:46 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Friday 1 August 2014

Wildebeest cross the Mara River at Private Camp

Yesterday lunchtime a herd of wildebeest crossed the Mara River at Governors Private Camp right in front of the camp. This week has been amazing for river crossings with 3 at Governors Camp, 1 at Private Camp and a very dramatic crossing at the Toyota Site. Photos are courtesy of Private Camp manager David Francombe.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.682108101881841.1073741828.471441119615208&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Goveners Camp Masai Mara - Page 20 768480 Thanks Doogs just love those crossing photos as I've said before would love to watch live

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Yes WS, it is special to see but very nail biting as well !!!

C'Mon the Wildies !!!
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:41 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Monday 4th August 2014

Visitors to Private Camp

Elephants, hippos and a zebra were all visitors to Governors Private Camp yesterday morning. Photos are courtesy of Governors Private Camp Manager David Francombe.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.683719821720669.1073741829.471441119615208&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:43 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Tuesday 5th August 2014

Wildebeest Crossing, Lions Hunting and Cheetah on the Lookout

Here are a selection of all the latest photos from the last few days in the Masai Mara courtesy of Governors Il Moran Camp Guide Maina Wachira, and some more photos of that epic crossing last week at Toyota Site courtesy of Governors Private Camp Guest Santiago Bertello. Many thanks to Santiago for sharing these with us.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.842097792469110.1073742092.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:45 pm

"I challenge anyone to suggest a better way to start your day"

This morning I headed out with James and his great new group from the UK (always nice to hear some familiar voices), and we were treated to probably THE top game drive of my time in the Mara so far, and almost certainly therefore of my entire life! We started off with my favourite den of hyena - the two pups even more playful than usual, to the point where one of them even had to be pinned down by two of the adults (!); then we moved on to a large section of the Marsh Pride, including Sienna and her cubs who we haven't seen in a couple of days, and had a great time watching Red being Red (photogenic as ever...), Sienna leaping across the small patches of water, and one of the younger lionesses attempting, particularly unsuccessfully to run down a couple of enormous male buffaloes...! And our next sighting was when things got REALLY exciting - BOTH a fully-grown adult male lion AND a lioness with her three cubs, in the process of moving them all from one area of thicker vegetation to another - one in her mouth and the other two right on her heels - just AWESOME!! It was photography heaven with the cubs messing around with each other in the tall grass, and the male striking every lion pose we could possibly have asked for, including, of course, the trophy-shot of a big yawn right before it was time to call it a day and head back to camp for breakfast... I challenge anyone to suggest a better way to start your day than that...!

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.842174172461472.1073742093.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Balloons Flying, Wildebeest Crossing, Ellies & Lion Posing

What an unbelievable day - I’m honestly running out of words to describe how amazing this place is day after day after day… I’m half way through already with three weeks down and three to go, but I’ve definitely exhausted more than half of the words I know that convey indescribable awesomeness…! How about for today I forget the words and use numbers: today can be ‘The day of 562 photos’, and no, that’s not a misprint, I really took 562 photos today…

Things got off to a great start, as they always do when ballooning - I was with Sanjay this time round and he gave us a stunningly beautiful flight, gliding over bend after bend in the Mara River as it glinted in the golden morning light… awesome.

A great bush breakfast as always - apparently one group of guests, driving between Markham’s balloon and breakfast, saw both a cheetah (!) and a rhino (!!) which, considering the drive was all of 3 minutes long, is pretty incredible really…

Continuing the fun, this afternoon I headed out for a game drive with Mandila, and among the guests with us was a lovely man called Ralph, who has lost count of number of times he’s stayed at Governors’ over the years - really amazing to hear the stories of some of the most unique and special experiences that he’s enjoyed while staying here in the past.

Our drive was, to be honest, epic… within 5 minutes of arriving at the main crossing we saw a crossing, much bigger than any I’ve seen up to this point, AND we had THE prime spot right at the edge of the river bank - amazing. Once the last of the wildebeest had successfully run the gauntlet we simply moved a few metres upstream to watch two young elephant bulls fighting in the water - a really unusual sighting. Following that we started to make our way back in the general direction of camp, and after passing crocs, eland, lilac-breasted rollers, and saddle-billed storks at as leisurely a pace as we wanted, our epic game drive was brought to a suitably epic close when we found Hunter - the third of the famous ‘four musketeers’ (the four adult male lions in the Marsh Pride) that I’ve seen since arriving in the Mara - lying in the grass, at which point he got up, limped (presumably because of fighting, either that or a dead leg because he’d slept on it…!) over to a termite mound, and just sat without a care in the world, giving us plenty of ‘yawn shot’ opportunities which I excitedly did my best to snap up.

Another amazing day in the Mara - there really is no better combination than a morning balloon flight and an afternoon game drive - and I’m heading back out with Mandila and Ralph tomorrow morning, so I’m really looking forward to seeing what we can find!

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/media/set/?set=a.843501178995438.1073742095.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:33 pm

WOW Doogs What a great series of updates. Loads of fab photos, and no I cant think of a better way to start a day, or indeed continue it with a balloon ride over the Mara. Great to see some pics of Red, and that Male lion was a super star. They really are having a super thrilling time at Governers at the moment with so much wildlife to see

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Totally agree WS, some fantastic photos for us all to look at  Very Happy 

From Governors Camp FB Page - Monday 11th August 2014

"Hello Mr Lion, I see you!"

The quantity AND quality of sightings really has undeniably gone up a level in the last week or so - another amazing game drive with Mandila… we didn’t go even 30 seconds without seeing another exciting anmal - simply mind-blowing…

Straight out of the gate we found the majority of the Marsh Pride, who seemed to have established a ‘males only’ and a ‘females only’ mound to lie on…! We then spied Siena and her three little ones on another two mounds a few hundred metres away, so we headed there and had a great laugh watching two of the cubs playfighting in the afternoon sun. We decided to head towards the Paradise area, and on the way spotted a couple of saddle-billed storks so we stopped to take a few photos - good, but things were about to get a whole lot more exciting… Just as we were about to leave, Mandila said casually “Hello there Mr Lion, I can see you…”, and sure enough there was Morani (one of the Marsh Pride’s ‘four musketeers’ who I haven’t seen in a while) lazing under a tree in the lugga next to us…! We stayed with him for a while, watching him drink and mark his territory before returning to the shady patch which we had affectionately named his ‘man cave’, before moving all of 10m to watch some hilariously playful and energetic behaviour from one of the breakaways’ little cubs, with mum very close by.

So things had already escalated a fair bit beyond the saddle-billed storks we initially stopped for, but just as we thought our string of good fortune had burnt out, Mandila spotted a serval (EXTREMELY difficult to find as they are both very rare and very shy…) in the long grass out to our left, and he was hunting…!! We watched him crawling, as if in slow motion, towards his prey (we guess a lizard or a grasshopper), ears curled forwards like radar dishes to catch even the tiniest sound, and then he coiled himself back ready to strike - I’ve honestly never seen anything leap so fast, it was all just a blur to me… but SOMEHOW my trusty camera saw otherwise, and on checking what I’d got photo-wise was met with what is pretty easily my favourite shot I’ve taken since my arrival in the Mara 3 weeks ago…!

Following that excitement we took a casual drive around the paradise area, catching up with a den full to the brim with hyena pups, then a baby giraffe that was so young (a few days maximum) it still had it’s umbilical cord dangling from its belly, then a baby zebra suckling from its mother, and then a couple of jackal warming up in the last few rays of the evening… A really spectacular drive that I’m sure will go down as one of the best in my entire six weeks - in terms of both pure variety and the top-notch sightings of each animal that we found. Amazing - James Townsend Governors Camp Intern

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Governors-Camp-Collection/127029937309236?ref=br_tf#!/media/set/?set=a.845085218837034.1073742097.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:02 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Monday 11th August 2014

The ‘Lion King’ theme tune instantly started playing in my head

Friday 9th August:

What a drive we had this morning - we decided last night to go out for a long morning drive (roughly 6.30am to 11.45am with a picnic breakfast in the bush), so we were able stray a little further from camp than we otherwise would have been able to.

He headed out towards the Paradise area, stopping to catch the glorious sunrise on the way, and on arrival were received with a really unique sighting of a lioness perched on top of a massive boulder (the ‘Lion King’ theme tune instantly started playing in my head), with her three cubs playing with each other around her - very cute. We then moved through a herd of elephants (including a calf suckling from its mother and a pair of young bulls playfighting) and up into the hills, where we almost instantly found a cheetah kicking back in the shade of a small tree - we stayed with him for a while, got the classic ‘yawn shot’, and carried on to a lioness with her son (neither of which any of the other cars had spotted) who were on the way back to kill they had started eating earlier in the day. Straight down the hill from there we found two lionesses with their creche of five cubs, showing some great playful behaviour with each other (the lionesses, that is) and moving their wildebeest feast into the hidden shade of a small tree. Mandila tapped into his ridiculously extensive knowledge of every animal in the area and remembered that these two females have been moving around with a male, and sure enough, enjoying some quality cub-free man-time under a tree on the other side of the small lugga, which four other cars proudly displaying their “Photographers. Do not follow.” signs had driven straight past without seeing a thing, Mandila spotted one of the famous Notch’s famously enormous sons. On this occasion, we were more than happy to obey the sign’s instruction and not follow the photographer car in what we now knew was the wrong direction…!

From there we headed towards the river to find a spot for our picnic breakfast, but on the way found a fantastic sighting of a recent wildebeest kill, with two jackals feeding on it, chasing away the ever-increasing number of surrounding vultures every 10 seconds or so, until they decided they were full and left the vultures to polish off the rest (almost whole) of the carcass in about 15 seconds flat…! A really entertaining and exciting spectacle that had us hooked for the entire 30 minutes or so that we stayed there watching!

After our delicious breakfast in the bush, we had not one but TWO nearly-crossings or about 300/400 wildebeest, separated by an amazing episode where three lionesses appeared out of nowhere and starting rounding up the herds, but unfortunately to no avail… I took a video of it all unfolding in front of us - I can’t promise quality but it should go at least some way to showing just how much of an impact the three lioness had on the three hundred or so wildebeest - amazing.

We checked the time and realised that five hours had flown past since leaving camp, and it was well and truly time to head back from some lunch! En route back to camp we drove straight through the middle of the biggest herd of topi I’ve ever seen, and before we knew it we were back and enjoying a great lunch while reminiscing about the amazing variety of sightings we had been treated to in just one morning - a really special drive…

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/media/set/?set=a.845168555495367.1073742098.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:30 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Tuesday 12th August 2014

A Perfect Mara Morning

Another great drive this morning - not a particularly long one as the guests I was with (the amazing English family who have had me out with them on every single one of their game drives…!) had to get back to camp in time to eat and pack before their morning flight to Lake Naivasha - but still a really exciting drive with a couple of really special sightings, and all backed by an uninterrupted early-morning Kenyan sun.

We began with a herd of elephants, including one REALLY tiny calf, who had just crossed the river in front of Private Camp (we could tell by the water-lines on them that the calf had gone all the way under, as there wasn’t a single part of it that was dry…!) - they wandered out towards the plains where they were joined by a lone lioness about 10m away from them! We then had a hilarious sighting of a young lioness sharpening her hunting skills - by practising on, of all things, a MASSIVE hippo bull…! She did surprisingly well and, once she was within striking distance (that not to say that ‘striking’ would have in any way been a good idea…) simply padded the hippo on the bum and bolted off in the other direction, as if she was playing tag with him…!

After that we had a great ostrich sighting, as well as a couple of hyena polishing the leftovers of a wildebeest kill, before coming across the highlight of the morning - the young male cheetah that we had a great time watching yesterday afternoon. He lazed on a termite mound for a while before sitting up, striking a couple of classic cheetah poses in the golden sunlight, and then ambling over to a fallen try where we lay down to cool off. A really simple, beautiful sighting which rounded off a brilliant game drive, especially given how short it was, perfectly. En route back to camp we drove straight through a massive herd of thousands of wildebeest - no denying the migration is still well and truly in town…! (And if that isn’t convincing evidence - two guests stayed out for a long morning drive and saw FOUR SEPARATE CROSSINGS…! Case closed.) - James Townsend Governors Camp Internhttps: https://www.facebook.com/jamestownsendphoto

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.845565395455683.1073742099.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:32 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Wednesday 13th August 2014

One Super Moon, 4 Rhinos and my First Leopard!

Had the most unbelievable balloon flight imaginable this morning - was up with Pete and saw not only four rhino (a family of three and then a lone one later on in the flight), but also A LEOPARD!! My first leopard sighting since arriving in the Mara, and what a special way to do it! Add all that to the fact that we landed, and then ate our breakfast, right in the middle of a MASSIVE herd of wildebeest, and altogether it really was a morning to remember.

This afternoon I was lucky enough to be heading out on a drive to complete the unbeatable balloon-gamedrive combo, and we were treated to a couple of really special sightings. Pretty much straight out of the gate we found a TINY Thompson’s Gazelle - so young it was still wet from the birth…! We set out towards the Rhino Ridge area in search of a cheetah, but instead found zebra and migrating wildebeest stretching as far as the eye could see - not a bad substitute by any means, but not what we had set out to find in the first place… We curved round towards the main crossing point, found a GIGANTIC croc catching up on some sleep on one of the banks, and then a couple of elephant casually strolling along the river’s edge.

Then came the highlight of the drive - in the same sighting we had the beautiful picture of a lioness leading her three eager cubs across the savannah in search of food (probably heading for the hippo carcass that tonnes of lions have been feeding from recently), AND hilarious show of strength(ish…) from two very young elephant calves, getting each other in headlocks, smashing into each other, and generally giving their mum a headache as she tried to control both them and their third sibling…! Courtesy of James Townsend Governors Camp Intern. James Townsend Photography

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.846040195408203.1073742101.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:33 pm

An Elephant Crossing

A lone elephant crosses the Mara River, photos are courtesy of Little Governors Camp Guest Holger Franke currently in camp. Many thanks to Holger for sharing these with us.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.846022562076633.1073742100.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:15 am

Goveners Camp Masai Mara - Page 20 768480  Doogs. So much going on in the Mara just now. It must be great to be there amongst it all  Goveners Camp Masai Mara - Page 20 71418 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:13 pm

Absolutely Lai and I'm loving this interns more detailed reports  Cool cheers 

Lion Love

Well… clearly the elephants got the memo about it being World Elephant Day today - looks like they decided celebrations were in order as they seem to be having a great time breaking every wooden railing in sight and gradually making their way through the camp snacking on any every tree or bush they pass that takes their fancy…! I’m currently boxed in to the little ‘internet room’ by reception, with a mother and her calf to the immediate left of the door (tearing a tree to pieces) and a young bull to the immediate left (trying, and failing miserably, to climb over the top of the metal railing that runs either side of the pathway)…!

Other than the issue of leaving the ‘internet room’ once I’m finished in here (guess I’ll have to cross that river when it comes…), what an incredible day it has been! Just as it looked like sightings couldn’t possibly get any better than they already were, the Mara (in true Mara style) showed us all how wrong we were to suspect something so ridiculous!

This morning’s drive involved not only a delicious bush breakfast on the bank of the Mara river, but also a number of really unique sightings - the highlights of which were a number of Paradise Pride females feeding on an extremely fresh-looking wildebeest kill; a pregnant female cheetah lazing on a termite mound watching the world go by; a ground hornbill catching and eating a small snake; and (one of the most special sightings I’ve seen in the last few weeks) Hunter - one of the Marsh Pride’s ‘four musketeers’ - beginning the sometimes week-long mating ritual with a Paradise Pride female…! And with it being the very beginning of the process, the two lions were at their most aggressive and hostile - the female throwing the huge male off her and swinging her club-like paws at him repeatedly… truly incredible to watch, and something I never thought I would be lucky enough to see.

This afternoon I was fortunate enough to head back out to watch more of the intense action, and attempt to do such a passionate and dramatic moment at least some sort of photographic justice. James Townsend Photography Governors Camp Intern

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.846126475399575.1073742102.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:43 am

Goveners Camp Masai Mara - Page 20 768480  Doogs

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:23 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Friday 15th August 2014

THREE bat-eared foxes and a whole lot more...

Had a good drive this afternoon - the much-needed rain over the past couple of days means that the number of plains game around has increased enormously… wildebeest, topi, zebra, and thompson’s gazelles everywhere you look, which makes for even more sustained and exciting game drives…!

Having never seen one before, it was pretty awesome to find THREE bat-eared foxes - one in its burrow and two strolling along the ‘road’… we also found a small group of lionesses with one young male; two small herds of elephant, each with a little calf; a pack of hyena feasting on a recent topi kill; and in addition to all that, a massive number and variety of beautiful little birds surrounding us at every step, presumably brought out by the rains!

As I have mentioned before, as a Brit rain is something that I have been brought up to mindlessly dislike, but having spent a longer period of time here, speaking to all the staff and the guides about it, there is absolutely no doubt that rain really is a good thing - it’s bringing EVEN MORE wildlife onto this side of the river than the already huge numbers that were here before, and it COULD even kick-start the migrating wildebeest back into action, meaning more crossing could be on the cards - it’s a VERY exciting time here in the Mara, and I can’t wait to see what the next few days have in store for us…!

James Townsend Photography - Governors' Camp Intern

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.846861958659360.1073742103.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:25 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Saturday 16th August 2014

Mongoose Madness

Didn’t make it out on a drive today, so instead reverted to my favourite stay-in activity - getting down low and joining the camp’s resident banded mongooses at their level…!

It’s really awesome just how quickly these little things get used to you - if you lie down on the ground with them then it only takes a couple of minutes for them to completely forget that you’re there and wander up to within centimetres of you…

And no - much as it may look like it, that little guy is not bearing his teeth at me out of aggression, it’s just that I spotted him eating and so took a few shots, and in one of them (the one I chose to use) he happened to look like he was snarling at me…!

More rain late this afternoon, so I’m excited to see what tomorrow’s got lined up for us.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.847362228609333.1073742106.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:38 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Monday 18th August 2014

A Weekend Well Spent

Wow - what an awesome weekend…!

Yesterday morning I was lucky enough to head out with Moses, our head driver, for what quickly turned into a one-on-one masterclass on why a little patience is the single greatest asset while out on safari…

We headed straight out towards the Paradise plains, and quickly caught sight of a few young lions lying together on the edge of the big lugga in the area - they were looking down into the lugga so we drove over to see what was happening, and sure enough they had a fresh buffalo kill down there. And, quite simply, there we stayed for the rest of the morning - other cars came and went on the other side of the lugga, and almost every single time that we were left as the only car there, something mind-glowingly special would happen - two of the young lionesses would start playfighting within feet of the car; some of the many little cubs would start chasing each other through the long grass for a stick; or, most astonishingly, we witnessed a full-on ousting of one of the young males that we often see around the area - he was swarmed by every lioness in the group (as well as one young male), and the noise was just unbelievable… the lion ‘roar’ at the beginning of every Warner Brothers movie ever made is NOT what lions sound like, but this was easily the closest to it that I’ve ever heard… and yes I did manage to somehow catch the whole thing on video - watch this space…!

For the rest of the day I took a few walks around the camp - photographing the crocs that hang out below room 12A, as well as finding a baboon spider that had ventured momentarily out of its hole, and a blue monkey leaping from tree to tree.

As for today - I was up early for a stunningly beautiful balloon flight, as this morning was probably about the clearest that I’ve seen since I arrived here just over a month ago… amazing views over the plains; plenty of plains game to see; a lion in the distance; and then a cheetah RIGHT below our balloon to welcome us to our bush breakfast site. I then went for drive with Markham (one of our awesome balloon pilots) and his family up to the top of the famously beautiful Olololo Escarpment, and it did not disappoint - jaw-dropping views of unspoilt Mara as far as the eye can see. AND we managed to make it back to camp just in time for a ‘Governors’ Camp Special’ Sunday afternoon curry - never anything less that epic…

This afternoon I headed out for a great game drive with Mohamed over in the Marsh area, during which we saw a massive variety of top-quality sightings - including a great group of Marsh Pride lions (four of which were the young cubs form that area that I haven’t seen before, so really special); hippos showing off in the river; a big herd of elephant of all shapes and sizes; and large numbers of waterbuck and baboons on the way back to camp.

Altogether a particularly successful weekend, with great sightings accompanied by beautiful weather - always a recipe for success in the Mara…!

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.848513408494215.1073742107.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:10 pm

From Governors Camp FB Page - Wednesday 20th August 2014

"Check Out The Width Of That First Guy's Horns...!"

Had a really great drive with Robert this afternoon - loads of animals and an interesting variety of sightings.

We headed to the main crossing section of the Mara River, via two groups of lions and a cheetah, to see what we could find. Unfortunately the wildebeest were’t in the mood (most of them had probably crossed already as there were two crossings seen this morning), but we still got a chance to get some really great photos of buffalo (check out the width of that first guy’s horns…!), elephant, and hippos.

We started to head back to camp, and on the way had an awesome sighting of an extremely relaxed lioness with her three EXTREMELY playful little cubs - completely hilarious to watch - and we caught up with a few juvenile members of the Marsh Pride before passing back through the gate ready for a delicious roast lamb supper…!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.849470375065185.1073742108.127029937309236&type=1
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:10 am

Goveners Camp Masai Mara - Page 20 768480  Doogs. I really need some time to keep up with these, but dip in and out when I can  Laughing 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next