Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Close Encounters with Wildlife

5 posters

Go down

Close Encounters with Wildlife Empty Close Encounters with Wildlife

Post  Laikipia Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:37 am

I have posted this here as my most scary encounters have always taken place in Kenya and involve the big 5.

I've been lucky enough to do many riding safaris in Kenya both in the Mara and in the north in Laikipia.

On one occasion we were in the Mara and as the weather was torrential rain we were unable to move camps at all, so stayed in one place for 7 days. This didn't spoil the holiday at all and the weather improved but the lorries were well and truly stuck.

On about the 6th day we were up early and on our horses by 6.30am about 8 of us. Mark our guide and a good friend of mine rides with a bull whip, obviously you can't ride with a gun and you have to be prepared for whatever you might come across.

Enjoying the scenery and the peacefulness of it all we were riding along and Mark spots some lions on the hill so we stop to watch and i decide to light a cigarette (I dont smoke anymore and wish i hadn't then)!

So lighting my cigarette, one hand loosely on my reins etc a lionness we hadn't seen, jumped out to our right from behind a bush right at Mark and my horses, (the others being a bit further behind luckily). Mark was in front of me, his horse spooked, I was behind him, my horse spooked and span round in a circle, I had one hand on my reins and the other lighting the cigarette. Needless to say I came out of the side door, Mark quick as a flash bull whip in hand, making very impressive lion noises and with a giant crack of the whip chased the lion off. I was on my knees thinking I was the breakfast for the pride and my horse was so shocked she hadn't run off but was standing there shaking. I remounted somewhat surprised that me and my horse were still together and then we decided it was best to return to camp for a large shot of something alcoholic.

I have to say it was a serious adrenalin rush and possibly the scariest moment of my life - the ride back was fairly silent as i think we were all somewhat in shock.

Lai Lion Bar

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Close Encounters with Wildlife Empty Re: Close Encounters with Wildlife

Post  Doogs Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Hey Lai that's some story affraid Shocked Sounds like lady luck was on your side that day and Mark did well to warn off the lioness cheers Your poor 🐴 getting a fright and bless her for staying put and waiting on you Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

I don't blame you for having a large one drunken when you got back to camp, that definitely would have been the order of the day after that !!

I'm probably going to ask a really studpid/obvious question Embarassed but is a riding safari just done the same as though you were in a jeep ? You're still looking for all the same animals ? Do the horses not mind the likes of elephant, lion, leopard etc etc and likewise ???? Thanks cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Blimey Lai, your heart must have been in your mouth (As we say back home!)

I have not encountered anything like that but do have a funny story when I took my then 2 year old Nephew (who is now 19!) to Belfast Zoo.

He was in awe at all the animals and was walking around beside me holding onto his pram. We were at the top of the hill were the big cats were and had just passed the lion enclosure when the handsome male lion let out and almighty roar, the kind you could feel go through you.

Well when I turned around to say ' Oh, (Nephew) what was that?' all I could see was my sweet little nephews heals as he had taken off down the hill at high speed screaming and arms flailling all over the place. The only thing was I had to chase after him, which was not a pretty sight!

We can laugh about it now, but the poor child was terrified!

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Close Encounters with Wildlife 40683 bless I love you
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:05 pm

affraid affraid That was really scary Lai, thank heavens Mark new what he was doing. Mind you it was your own fault, you did'nt read the warning on the Cig Packet did you. SMOKING CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH Close Encounters with Wildlife 40683 Close Encounters with Wildlife 40683
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Good one WS Close Encounters with Wildlife 40683

Your poor nephew SM - I can imagine he must have been so scared, a good old lion roar is pretty awesome.

Doogs the aim is really to get from camp to camp (all tented) stopping to watch wildlife on the way, the camps pack up and go to the next spot when we ride off early. Mostly you stay one or two nights in a spot and then onwards. So you can cover 30km in a day riding mostly where you like, if you see a herd of giraffes and want to run with them (and they are fast) you can. It's really what you come across, some wildlife it's best to give plenty of space too, buff boys in the croton bushes for instance, a large herd is okay in the open, eles be wary they need a width berth. Camels in the north, the horses hate camels for some reason. Impala, zebra and warthogs all fine. Big cats mmmmmm I shall say no more. I guess the first time the horses see the game they are surprised but after a few safaris they seem to love it. They can sense things well in advance of us (well me) so usually you get some warning!

Lai

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Many thanks for that Lai, it sounds totally fantastic Close Encounters with Wildlife 71418 and just a different slant on a 'jeep' safari, brilliant Close Encounters with Wildlife 853843
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:36 pm

Hooley Dooley Lai affraid that was some experience...funny thing is though, I had this picture of you rising up from the ground with your cigarette alight in your mouth Close Encounters with Wildlife 40683 WS is right,they are bad for your health pale I would love to do a riding safari.

Don't think i've had any bad experiences...was at a horse show once and a Bumble Bee went up my trouser leg and stung me on the Bum Embarassed

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:23 pm

I bet it's Dead now lol! lol!
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin