Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SHES BACK!!!!!! The Lady Returns

+2
Laikipia
Safari Maiden
6 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 Empty Re: SHES BACK!!!!!! The Lady Returns

Post  Laikipia Thu May 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Tough life, and to think how old she is - one amazing bird.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 Empty Re: SHES BACK!!!!!! The Lady Returns

Post  whitestarling Tue May 08, 2012 11:47 am

The Lady's sitting proud on her eggs, just doing a bit of re arranging of the bits round her
SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 Wa293

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue May 08, 2012 1:15 pm

I know this is maybe a stupid thing to say / ask Embarassed but does everyone agree that Lady does actually look old (bless her I love you ) or is it just me :o Embarassed Embarassed
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue May 08, 2012 1:29 pm

I Agree Doogs, but I don't know anything about birds or how they age!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue May 08, 2012 1:36 pm

Good so it's not just me and neither do I Lai scratch
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue May 08, 2012 1:39 pm

It's another question for WS Doogs - he's great at finding out things.

Over to you Hutch .................. Laughing sorry Starsky.

Lai Pai Very Happy
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue May 08, 2012 1:42 pm

SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 768480 SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 768480 SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 768480 SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 768480 SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 768480 SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 768480
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue May 08, 2012 6:18 pm

WS on the case again cheers cheers cheers Lovely to see her in that pic WS and I agree she does look older but I don't know how they age either, not sure if its a weight thing that they get thinner in the crop or if their feathers get more raggedy looking, i'm not sure but everytime I have looked at Lady it has been fairly windy and her feathers have been blown around so it's often hard to tell how she is looking sometimes.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed May 23, 2012 1:44 pm

She's done it
cheers cheers
News: Remarkable osprey hatches first egg for two years
22nd May 2012

The resident female osprey at the Scottish Wildlife Trust’s Loch of the Lowes reserve in Dunkeld has hatched her first egg for two years, the 62nd egg to hatch in her lifetime.

The osprey, known affectionately by many as ‘Lady’, was standing by yesterday as the first of her three eggs started to break. The chick emerged after 12 hours, at 7pm last night (Monday 21st).

Almost 20,000 people watched the egg hatch live on the nest webcam. Click here to view the webcam online.

The formidable bird has been returning to Loch of the Lowes for 22 years and has laid 64 eggs during her time there. 48 of those have produced chicks that have fledged, so this year she may reach a half century of chicks fledged at Loch of the Lowes.

This chick is the first born at Loch of the Lowes since 2010 as last year the eggs failed to hatch, despite being proved fertile.

The osprey nests are under 24 hour protection thanks to two Osprey Protection Officers, fully funded by SITA Tayside Action Biodiversity Fund.

Perth and Kinross Quality of Life Trust and the Scottish Government and the European Community Rural Tayside LEADER 2007-2013 Programme have contributed to upgrading the visitor facilities at Loch of the Lowes over the winter.

This year, the female and her new partner have been incubating three eggs, so there are two still in the nest, which should hatch any day now.

Scottish Wildlife Trust Perthshire Ranger Emma Rawling said:

“The chick started breaking through the egg at 7 in the morning and was finished by soon after 7 at night. This is perfectly normal; eggs can take up to 24 hours to hatch.

“We know the female is used to being a parent but we didn’t know what to expect from her new partner. Fortunately, he seems to be acting responsibly. He has been to catch fish and the chick has been fed this morning.

“It is eating happily and looking strong.

“Provided that at least one of the other eggs hatches, she could reach the milestone of having successfully fledged 50 chicks in July, which would be a quite unbelievable achievement. We’ve had interest from all over the world and people visiting in their droves since the eggs were laid.

“We expect many more as the other eggs hatch and the chicks fledge. We are going to satellite tag these osprey chicks to monitor exact routes, timings and behaviours of these fascinating migrating birds.”

Really great to see the chick feeding, and quite funny watching as it tries to keep its balance
SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 Wa16

SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 Wa114

SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 Wa213

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed May 23, 2012 1:54 pm

SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 71418 H O W F A N T A S T I C SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 71418

She is some bird Wink and the chick looks great.

Thanks for all the info and great pictures WS SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 853843
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed May 23, 2012 2:42 pm

WOW truly wonderful news, well done Lady, what a star she is.

Thanks WS - lovely news and great photos.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed May 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Right you Girls were asking about Birds ageing. I thought you'd have known this without asking scratch . You know how it is with an old Bird she starts to get a bit scraggy round the neck, if you mention it, it ruffles her feathers, if she's had to many cropfulls. it tends to go to their bottom making it difficult for them to get off the nest. Also if you have'nt got access to that collegen, or botox stuff, there's not alot you can do about it.
IS THERE

WS SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 40683
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed May 23, 2012 6:00 pm

You the man WS ROFL

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed May 23, 2012 10:46 pm

SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 853843 SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 853843 Clever Girl Lady SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 853843 SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 853843

What fantastic news that is, she is such a star isn't she, now all we have to do is to wait for the other eggs to hatch. Brilliant that her new partner is doing his job and getting food, I am so delighted for her and what a lot of people watching the hatching.
Thanks for the post WS oh and by the way young man......I think I put it a bit kinder on how old birds age........watch it matey SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 40683 SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 40683

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu May 24, 2012 1:40 pm

I can't believe you had the cheek to post that WS Laughing lol! Brave man ! SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 40683
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu May 24, 2012 2:00 pm

You Guys keep feeding me the lines, and I'll keep cracking the yokes lol!

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 24, 2012 2:33 pm

affraid WS Bump

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu May 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Oh WS, they get worse SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 40683 SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 40683

Hope lady has been ok today, too late to check now as it will be dark, must try and have a look tomorrow.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

As of yesterday the second and third egg had not hatched, I have just checked on Lady and the cam pic is rubbish but I can see her first chick but I can't make out if there is another one, it's so hard to see but I keep thinking there is more than one but I will have to wait for the blog update.
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun May 27, 2012 11:07 pm

I had a look last night LW, and the cam was poor then, although it was night, it could have been a lot better there were waves moving up the screen, I dont know if it was there reflection fromthe water
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:50 am

SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 Wa221

SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 Wa317SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 Wa415SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 Wa513

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Great update and lovely to know the chick is doing so well, it must be lonely without any siblings, although at least it doesn't have to compete for food.

Thanks WS

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Yes that is a great update, thanks WS. The little one is definitely doing well and dad sounds as though he is doing a great job with the feeding. With no compeition for food it's only got to be a good thing for this chicks chances of survival but I have to agree with Lai, shame it hasn't got any siblings to keep it company Crying or Very sad
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:47 pm

That is a lovely update WS and hard to believe the little chick is sixteen days old, time goes so quick.
After watching SW this evening and seing the Osprey chicks on there and the one being rather a bully to the other one and pinning it down so he could get the food and then being a bully when mum and dad were not there, I bet this chick may not mind being on his own and getting all the attention and food........but yes I agree, it must be lonely.
Wonderful to know all is going well though.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:35 am

Impossible to see what's going on - its looks very wet and sounds very windy SHES BACK!!!!!!  The Lady Returns - Page 3 Mwsna225

See Wildlife diary 14th June for latest news

http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/osprey/

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next